Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    After all, whose hands picked cotton for the most part?
    The vast majority were white I'm sure.

It was a form of casual employment across most of the South. An afternoon job for children, and pick-up work for wives etc.

Also, cotton pickers weren't picking cotton 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year while being whipped like you see in some really bad movies.

Rather, whites, blacks, adults and children all picked cotton together. It was all hands on deck for the harvest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVnO3J_u6o

The fact that it only occurred for a short part of the year is why the South couldn't hire full-time workers to do it. The workers simply couldn't earn enough working just a couple months a year to live on.

Eventually there was no need for slavery because of the cotton thresh. But that was ready for prime time about 30 years AFTER the American Civil War. About 200 years too late.

Here is the Webster definition of Cotton Picking
    Definition of cotton-picking

offensive
    : DAMNED —used as an intensive or as a generalized expression of disapproval

NOTE: Widely considered offensive, the adjective cotton-picking is seen as belittling labor that millions of Black people were forced to do in the southern United States from the late 18th century and into the 20th century, first as enslaved people and later as sharecroppers.

Now, you can argue that whites, blacks, men women and children picked cotton together in the South, and you would be partially correct. Sharecroppers who could afford usually one slave would be out in the fields with the whole family and their slave during harvest; I don't dispute that.
    BUT any plantation owner who could afford upward of 20 slaves would not be out in the fields, nor would his wife, children or any other relative be out in the fields. Perhaps a white overseer on horseback would, but they wouldn't be picking either; they would be overseeing the work, hence the name. Nor would you find any house slaves out there helping; they were too valuable to risk injury or sunstroke.
    Also, while threshers may have been invented in the late 1800s, the cotton picking machine was not common until the 1940's. Plantations that were growing cotton back in the 1910, 20, 30s were still hiring pickers to do the work; sometimes high school kids would pick during cotton season.
    And, before the War between the states, slaves were not used to just pick cotton: they planted it, cultivated it, and after picking, until the cotton gin was invented, picked the nasty little spiky seeds out of it. And not all plantations raised cotton. Some raised sugar cane, some indigo and others truck crops. And all of those things needed seeing too year round, not for the few weeks of the picking season.
    Oh, and your little cherry picked video doesn't really prove much since it was made to show that everybody kicked in for the WWI effort, no matter how young or what color they were. Propaganda in a way. Like selling war bonds in both world wars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    The vast majority were white I'm sure.

It was a form of casual employment across most of the South. An afternoon job for children, and pick-up work for wives etc.

Also, cotton pickers weren't picking cotton 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year while being whipped like you see in some really bad movies.

Rather, whites, blacks, adults and children all picked cotton together. It was all hands on deck for the harvest.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqVnO3J_u6o

The fact that it only occurred for a short part of the year is why the South couldn't hire full-time workers to do it. The workers simply couldn't earn enough working just a couple months a year to live on.

Eventually there was no need for slavery because of the cotton thresh. But that was ready for prime time about 30 years AFTER the American Civil War. About 200 years too late.
    Last edited by jcole; February-16-22 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    In other threads you described black people as being brainwashed by the Democratic party almost as if there was no diversity or intelligence within that specific group, an act mind you, that you just labeled as "racist". Weird.

The "special way of thinking" you reference is called perspective, and no, you can't actually have the perspective of a minority in this country. You can listen, you can try and understand, but despite what you think you know about the world you will never see it exactly through their eyes. Maybe instead of going through the routine of "old white guy knows best" you let marginalized groups tell you what they feel is racist. Just a thought.
    Nail on the head... Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Now, you can argue that whites, blacks, men women and children picked cotton together in the South, and you would be partially correct. Sharecroppers who could afford usually one slave would be out in the fields with the whole family and their slave during harvest; I don't dispute that.
    BUT any plantation owner who could afford upward of 20 slaves would not be out in the fields, nor would his wife, children or any other relative be out in the fields. Perhaps a white overseer on horseback would, but they wouldn't be picking either; they would be overseeing the work, hence the name. Nor would you find any house slaves out there helping; they were too valuable to risk injury or sunstroke.
    Also, while threshers may have been invented in the late 1800s, the cotton picking machine was not common until the 1940's. Plantations that were growing cotton back in the 1910, 20, 30s were still hiring pickers to do the work; sometimes high school kids would pick during cotton season.
    And, before the War between the states, slaves were not used to just pick cotton: they planted it, cultivated it, and after picking, until the cotton gin was invented, picked the nasty little spiky seeds out of it. And not all plantations raised cotton. Some raised sugar cane, some indigo and others truck crops. And all of those things needed seeing too year round, not for the few weeks of the picking season.
    You nailed it as well. Some people need to get a conscious..

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    “White Privilege”, without a doubt the most divisive, racist, offensive, polarizing, hateful word used today. It implies that something can be known of a person’s behavior by just simply looking at the color shade of the skin.
    How about reducing it to two choices?

Police probing mall fight where Black youth was handcuffed

ABC|10 minutes ago

Police in New Jersey are investigating an incident in which a Black teen was handcuffed after a mall fight with a white youth, who was directed to sit down on a couch ...

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...uffed-82938271

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Nail on the head... Bravo.
    Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Some people need to get a conscious..
    My conscience only works when I'm conscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    My conscience only works when I'm conscious.
    Sense you asked... that didn't make any since?

The sub-teacher from Farmington High School just said a racial code in front of a young black student. They sparked walk-out by lots of students to district office. The Superintendent answer their protests and fired that teacher. Even though she apologized.

Cancel Culture is fast growing. And it's part of thoughtcrime in America. So, we better watch our mouths.

Look what happen to Megan Kelly and Whoopi Goldberg. They got cancelled out of their shows.
    Last edited by Danny; February-17-22 at 09:38 AM.

What does it say when one of the most liberal cities in the country,recalls 3 school board members after they wanted to rename 43 schools because the previous names were from people in the past that may or not had done anything.

Parents in the politically liberal city launched the recall effort in January 2021 out of frustration over the slow reopening of district schools, while the board pursued the renaming of 44 school sites and the elimination of competitive admissions at the elite Lowell High School.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...oard-rcna16394

ENFIELD — In the wake of public outrage over an assignment mistakenly given to eighth-graders in January that encouraged discussion of their sexual desires using pizza toppings as a metaphor, the Board of Education will discuss forming a task force to ensure something like this does not happen again.

Thought crime is already here,if you are a certain skin color you are automatically racist,therefore guilty without thought.

There is one nasty word that is perfectly acceptable too be used by one group but not another.Back to intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What does it say when one of the most liberal cities in the country,recalls 3 school board members after they wanted to rename 43 schools because the previous names were from people in the past that may or not had done anything.

Parents in the politically liberal city launched the recall effort in January 2021 out of frustration over the slow reopening of district schools, while the board pursued the renaming of 44 school sites and the elimination of competitive admissions at the elite Lowell High School.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...oard-rcna16394

ENFIELD — In the wake of public outrage over an assignment mistakenly given to eighth-graders in January that encouraged discussion of their sexual desires using pizza toppings as a metaphor, the Board of Education will discuss forming a task force to ensure something like this does not happen again.

Thought crime is already here,if you are a certain skin color you are automatically racist,therefore guilty without thought.

There is one nasty word that is perfectly acceptable too be used by one group but not another.Back to intent.
    The modern conservative movement has become quite adept at turning any issue around to become the victim. Yes Richard, you are under attack and the victim. The white conservative male in this country has had centuries of hardship and now you have to fight through the San Francisco school board doing something stupid regarding renaming buildings. The horror!

One poster already tried to say that being told that they have privilege was the worst racial slur that there is today and the most racist thing happening in this country. Again, it really is hard to see how your party has almost zero appeal to minorities...

For the record, cancel culture is a problem, period. Lowell put it perfectly when he said that there are teachable moments that we are missing out on in many of these instances. I agree. Sometimes it is completely justified, other times it isn't. It isn't a one size fits all issue. But lets also get away from making this simply a liberal issue as you like to paint it as. Has your boycott over the NFL ended? How about your boycott of MLB after they moved the all-star game? Did you burn all of your Nike apparel after they signed Kaepernick to an endorsement deal or simply throw it all out? Has your boycott of Starbucks ended after they went to the plain holiday cup instead of the one celebrating Christmas?

Both sides do this stuff. It can be worthy of a conversation like, "Do we really need to celebrate the Confederacy with this monuments that were placed decades later to intimidate the black population" or it can be as stupid as a corporation trying to be inclusive during the holiday season and choosing to claim there is a war on Christmas. It is issue by issue and you should treat it as such, but that would require nuance.

^^ Insert applause here...
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; February-17-22 at 12:30 PM.

Telling a young black student to 'get his cotton picking hands off my desk' is pretty damn blatant. Even if we are real generous and accept this term used to be inoffensive, I really don't buy age as a counter argument. No reasonable old person would go around calling Asians 'Orientals' or African Americans 'Negros'. How one could in good conscience say that out loud and not think it could be read as offensive feels like an act of willing ignorance.
    Last edited by louis; February-17-22 at 12:01 PM. Reason: grammer

So do they need to rename the Orient Express?

or Oriental : of, relating to, or situated in the Orient : EASTERN

2or Oriental, sometimes offensive, see usage paragraph below : of, relating to, or coming from Asia and especially eastern Asiaoriental foodoriental artoriental medicine

3Oriental : of, relating to, or constituting the biogeographic region that includes Asia south and southeast of the Himalayas and the Malay Archipelago west of Wallace's line

4a: of superior grade, luster, or value

So the word Oriental is okay to be used but it depends on who is around at the moment if it is used as to if it can be deemed offensive?

Do we ban oriental rugs because it may be considered offensive?

That like saying you can call a rug a Persian rug but you cannot call anybody else that originates from the region,that they are famous for,a Persian,brcause that is offensive.

We can take it to any extreme we like,re-name the White House because some make it clear anything White automatically becomes the symbol of systematic racism.

Last edited by Richard; February-17-22 at 12:31 PM.

So do they need to rename the Orient Express?

What these allegedly "offended" people are telling the world in their own way is that they are very weak minded, and have a massive inferiority complex.

When you DON'T view yourself as inferior, you don't take offense. But when you strongly believe you ARE inferior, you can find offense in almost anything.

I feel so sorry for them. And their victims too. The sub teacher probably had never Googled the origin of that term. I know my dad would use it on me when I was young. I never gave it a thought either.
    Last edited by Rocket; February-17-22 at 01:53 PM.

Cancel culture is a hypocritical zero sum game.

Everybody’s ancestors benefited from slavery,so we are all cancelled out,the hypocrisy comes from is people today are still knowingly buying products made by slaves and children slaves,they do not take issue with that,because it benefits them,then they run around calling everybody else racist.

Baby it is cold out side ….

That’s a northern thing in the south it would be … She wore an itsybitsy, teenieweenie, yellow polka-dot bikini,

Because it is not cold out.

So it is okay to sing south of the Mason Dixon line.

Maybe we should all just except the fact that we are all just canceled out and start over as programed drones.

Next they will be canceling out cotton sheets and towels and undies,I guess we can switch to polyester canvas,might be a bit itchy but that’s the price we pay.

Even better clothing made out of Hemp so we can save the planet and stop racism in one step.

My mother use to say it also on occasion,55 years ago,I am surprised an 8 year old would find it offensive let alone single those words out,out of the 500 words they heard during the course of the day,which any one of those could have been found offensive to somebody somewhere.
    Last edited by Richard; February-17-22 at 04:07 PM.

What these allegedly "offended" people are telling the world in their own way is that they are very weak minded, and have a massive inferiority complex.

When you DON'T view yourself as inferior, you don't take offense. But when you strongly believe you ARE inferior, you can find offense in almost anything.

I feel so sorry for them. And their victims too. The sub teacher probably had never Googled the origin of that term. I know my dad would use it on me when I was young. I never gave it a thought either.
    Ah yes. Cast dispersions on a young black male for taking offense to a term just about everyone has deemed insensitive at best. Could it be that through his life experiences that he has paid more attention to the meaning of the term, both historically and how it may be used today in a racist manner? Old white guy doesn't think its a big deal though so everyone is "weak."

You're dad may have used the term because he didn't care what it meant and I am guessing you never gave it a thought because empathy was never taught to you by your parents. That is probably the most telling two sentences in this entire thread and it probably doesn't even dawn on you what it implies and why people these days are bringing things like this to light. Empathy requires listening and attempting to understand what someone else may be experiencing but you time and time again opt for "well in my day..."

Ah yes. Cast dispersions on a young black male for taking offense to a term just about everyone has deemed insensitive at best.
    Incorrect. I wasn't particularly referring to this incident, but rather the culture of being offended in general. Of course you knew that.

Could it be that through his life experiences that he has paid more attention to the meaning of the term, both historically and how it may be used today in a racist manner?
    Perhaps.

But I doubt 1% of the people who still use that phrase think of it the way you do. Racists are actually a small minority. Most of us aren't looking for a race angle in everything the way you do. Most of us go through our days never thinking about race. You should try it.

You're dad may have used the term because he didn't care what it meant and I am guessing you never gave it a thought because empathy was never taught to you by your parents.
    You're wrong again. We just weren't racists, spending our days thinking about race, and how terms in the common use may or may not have been racist. You see,.. people who aren't racists don't spend their days thinking of such things the way you do. One can tell a racist in an instant because race and color are on their mind constantly. Such as the professional racist DL Hugley, who does the drive home show on 105.9. EVERYTHING is color to him.

That is probably the most telling two sentences in this entire thread and it probably doesn't even dawn on you what it implies and why people these days are bringing things like this to light.
    Correct, not being a racists, it wouldn't cross my mind. Of course I also wouldn't talk that way to a child. And yes it did dawn on me why they are bringing this to light, in fact it was the topic of my previous post.
    Last edited by Rocket; February-17-22 at 05:35 PM.

Or his parents, like mine, did use words like that because it was common to do so and didn't see anything wrong with it. I have learned on my own that bigotry and racial slurs are wrong, but the things I heard growing up in Detroit in the 60/70's and not just my parents but pretty much all the white people I grew up with make me cringe now and have for 50 yrs. I wish I had had the guts to tell my family to cut out the aspersions but I was young. I did raise my kids to not call Chinese people "Charley" or "the chink" or Black people the multitudes of slurs that were popular back then and also, not to tell the racist jokes that were all the rage and basically be decent people and accept all people's differences. I'm not excusing my parents or even myself as a youngster; they should have known better as human beings. But, believe me, this crap was common back then and no one thought twice about it.
    Ah yes. Cast dispersions on a young black male for taking offense to a term just about everyone has deemed insensitive at best. Could it be that through his life experiences that he has paid more attention to the meaning of the term, both historically and how it may be used today in a racist manner? Old white guy doesn't think its a big deal though so everyone is "weak."

You're dad may have used the term because he didn't care what it meant and I am guessing you never gave it a thought because empathy was never taught to you by your parents. That is probably the most telling two sentences in this entire thread and it probably doesn't even dawn on you what it implies and why people these days are bringing things like this to light. Empathy requires listening and attempting to understand what someone else may be experiencing but you time and time again opt for "well in my day..."
    Last edited by jcole; February-17-22 at 05:43 PM.

I kinda think that when people do not practice what they preach,it just make things seem so hollow.

When we speak of the majority,who are they?

The majority of us older folk,have not heard the tem in that last 50 years,even less of a majority under the age of 40 probably never even heard it used before.

But usually it boils down to the few trying to dictate to the majority and now they are even dictating intent,because I think it,it is so.

How does anybody even try and tell somebody what a complete strangers intent was 60 years ago,like they were there in their mind at that moment.

350 million in this country,all individuals with individual thoughts and motivations.

Somebody needs to create a list for each individual so they can present it to everybody they may meet,as they carry it around in their dump truck,so anybody within earshot may not get offended.

Society is not built around the individual and it is not there to cater to the individual when they are in public,350 million people,no way no how you cannot say one word to anybody,that somebody cannot find offensive.

In this case who took that kid and sat them down and explained how this was offensive,the kid may have never heard of that before and may had never heard it again in his life,but somebody made sure that he knew it was offensive even if it was not to him.

So they conditioned him or her into believing something that may have never played another second in his life.

If you want to go down the path of catering to the individual,that is one individual that was not allowed to make the decision in the first place weather he found it offensive or not.

It was already decided for him,by who in that classroom that had a teacher and the rest students?
    Last edited by Richard; February-17-22 at 05:51 PM.

I kinda think that when people do not practice what they preach,it just make things seem so hollow.

When we speak of the majority,who are they?

The majority of us older folk,have not heard the tem in that last 50 years,even less of a majority under the age of 40 probably never even heard it used before.

But usually it boils down to the few trying to dictate to the majority and now they are even dictating intent,because I think it,it is so.

How does anybody even try and tell somebody what a complete strangers intent was 60 years ago,like they were there in their mind at that moment.

350 million in this country,all individuals with individual thoughts and motivations.

Somebody needs to create a list for each individual so they can present it to everybody they may meet,as they carry it around in their dump truck,so anybody within earshot may not get offended.

Society is not built around the individual and it is not there to cater to the individual when they are in public,350 million people,no way no how you cannot say one word to anybody,that somebody cannot find offensive.

In this case who took that kid and sat them down and explained how this was offensive,the kid may have never heard of that before and may had never heard it again in his life,but somebody made sure that he knew it was offensive even if it was not to him.

So they conditioned him or her into believing something that may have never played another second in his life.

If you want to go down the path of catering to the individual,that is one individual that was not allowed to make the decision in the first place weather he found it offensive or not.

It was already decided for him,by who in that classroom that had a teacher and the rest students?
    It can be difficult keeping up with you Richard. In other threads, you insist that nobody should assume anything about the Crumbleys because it simply isn’t fair to those individuals. Here you are now making wild assumptions that this child was coached on how to be offended because he couldn’t possible have come to this conclusion on his own. It was somebody in the classroom, a teacher, he’s been conditioned. Another time you mention how African Americans aren’t a monolith and they are quite capable of making up their own minds, but now you are back to claiming they’ve been brainwashed.

Thank goodness you are here to speak for the majority of people over 50. Again, your rules on what is appropriate seem to apply to everyone but you as you flip back and forth from one stance to another.

You're wrong again. We just weren't racists, spending our days thinking about race, and how terms in the common use may or may not have been racist. You see,.. people who aren't racists don't spend their days thinking of such things the way you do. One can tell a racist in an instant because race and color are on their mind constantly. Such as the professional racist DL Hugley, who does the drive home show on 105.9. EVERYTHING is color to him.
    Ah so it isn’t the person saying insensitive or bigoted things, it is the person who recognizes it that is the racist. With that logic you really don’t have to admit you’re ever wrong or even care about how something impacts someone else. Bravo.

It can be difficult keeping up with you Richard.
    So, why bother trying, or even reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    So, why bother trying, or even reading?
    I find "Plan B" the best at keeping one's mind clear of muddled obfuscation...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast