Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Using a somewhat similar approach to the DIA, the Charles Wright Museum of African American History and the Detroit Historical Museum are planning to ask Oakland and Wayne County residents to pass a new millage supporting their operations. On the face of it that would seem somewhat reasonable, but the numbers make even less sense than they did for the DIA.

According to the financial disclosures on their website the Wright museum currently operates on an annual budget of just over 6 million dollars [[Some of which is already derived from taxpayer dollars). According to the Freep article the museum is asking for 25 million annually, and for 20 years! And since it's a millage that's not a fixed amount, but will likely increase as property values go up.

The false pleas of financial hardship, election trickery and after the fact bonuses to those that oversaw the DIA millage were bad enough, but the Wright asking for such an insane amount is downright offensive! Especially in a city where so many are struggling to pay property taxes that are already among the highest in the state.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ax/6529539001/

Are you keeping that same energy for the DIA, the Science Center and other cultural institutions in the Tri County area or just THIS particular one? I cannot for the life of me place my finger on what makes this one different.....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Are you keeping that same energy for the DIA, the Science Center and other cultural institutions in the Tri County area or just THIS particular one? I cannot for the life of me place my finger on what makes this one different.....

I specifically mentioned the DIA and the Historical Museum in my initial post, and throughout this thread so that should be readily apparent. [[As far as I know the Science Center is not considering requesting more support via millage).

The reason I specifically called out the Wright in the title was the immense amount of tax dollars they are requesting as compared to their annual expenses and unlike the Historical Museum they're not currently struggling to pay their bills [[Plus you can only fit so many words in a title on this forum). If you've read my other posts in this thread you'll see where I actually vowed conditional support for a millage supporting BOTH the Wright and the Historical Museum, so your attempt to paint this as a racial issue is far off base. Not to mention Gnome already tried that angle along with some racial epithets to go a long with it, hence the reason I have not posted here since [[Thanks to the mods for actually deleting them).
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-06-22 at 07:36 PM.