Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The things that would prevent me from going electric at the moment are range and charge time. But both of those are rapidly being solved....
    In my situation neither of those would be a problem but I'm more concerned about heating in the winter. That's a compromise I wouldn't want to make in Michigan. Are there viable options for heating?

My garage would be ideal for recharging overnight. Imagine never having to visit a gas station again. It sounds almost too good to be true.

Fast charge stations that use the high amps are what you'll find in a Meijer parking lot, not in someone's garage. Overloading the electrical grid is the least of my worries with electric cars. However, they'll keep improving, and once my lease is up on my hybrid, I'll probably go fully electric and join the inevitable electric-only, and very quiet E-Dream Cruise

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The things that would prevent me from going electric at the moment are range and charge time. But both of those are rapidly being solved. Take this news item from yesterday of a Michigan battery start up company.

Tesla Model S Goes 752 Miles with a Prototype Battery from a Michigan Startup
    This 'proof of concept' was meant to show that very long-range, environmentally sustainable battery packs can exist—and ONE, Inc., is about to start building one

The car went from Detroit across the Mackinac Bridge and back on one charge.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...r-next-energy/

I think this is just the start of things as technologies for extending electric power systems do not face the same challenges as extending ranges of fossil fuel systems. A situation similar to solar panels is emerging where cost of the panel is diving and while output from the panels is soaring.

On the financial side of things my advice is to position ones' portfolios into electric power generation companies.
    or if one is younger,go a little deeper to the one product all of these companies are going to need to use in place of cobalt and is also tied to the steel industry and infrastructure.

manganese,it is cheap now but once these battery companies come online in the next couple of years it will jump up,even if the battery companies fail,the demand in the infrastructure and steel production will keep it hedged.

The problem is,and why solar crashed before,these things draw a lot of attention until government subsidies back off then they crash.We are on a 4 year cycle,the next president that comes along could throw a wrench in the works easy enough.

The solar crash was repeated world wide and the same is happening with wind turbines,the individual governments get on board and kick in money to offset the losses,it’s a constant roller coaster of feast or famine.
    Last edited by Richard; January-06-22 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Nice try but you know as well as I that EVERYONE will be on fast charge.
    There will be brown outs and times your not allowed to charge!
    Back in the 2003 big power outage no one had electricity OR petrol. Gas stations work on electricity. No power no gas [[except what is in your tank).

Also back during the 2015 wind storm where many neighborhoods in Michigan had power loss for days due to the February storm. Our neighborhood in SCS was one of the last ones to come online because unlike a blackout, our neighborhood just had a brownout. But still, you couldn't power anything [more than a dim lightbulb] during the day... it would burn out appliances or the furnace. But at 11:30PM for those 4 days... there were enough people who went to bed that the brownout allowed some of us who were savvy enough to start our furnaces... and they ran until 5:30AM when people started waking up and the brownout again required turning off appliances. So during a brownout... night time use is still possible [via the recharging of the car batteries]. But of course once more people buy electric cars, a brownout will be more taxing on night time slow recharging.

Also, you may find people who work will want fast recharging... but retirees won't care... and a night time slower recharge is not a problem for them.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Fast charge stations that use the high amps are what you'll find in a Meijer parking lot, not in someone's garage. Overloading the electrical grid is the least of my worries with electric cars. However, they'll keep improving, and once my lease is up on my hybrid, I'll probably go fully electric and join the inevitable electric-only, and very quiet E-Dream Cruise

While all this may be true, it still will be quite a while before the buying public gives up on combustible engines, therefore, the Dream Cruise will live on. I'm sure not ready to make the jump.

Several 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning reservations holders have reported that their dealer has informed them that they will need to pay a $10,000 markup to take delivery of their vehicles, while one dealer in Virginia is asking for a whopping $30,000 on top of the pickup’s MSRP for anyone that wants to be among the first 25 customers to bring home an F-150 Lightning.
    Making matters worse, that same dealer informed reservation holders that they will have to put down an additional $5,000 deposit to secure their place in line, which will at least go toward the Lightning’s purchase price. However, those that choose to cancel their order later on will not get that money back.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/20...ation-holders/

^ I'd walk away from that fast [10K markup] and get a Toyota brand truck.

I don't know who said it, I know it wasn't P.T. Barnum, but the saying goes "there's one born every minute".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know who said it, I know it wasn't P.T. Barnum, but the saying goes "there's one born every minute".
    yeah, they've said forever to never buy the first model year of a vehicle but the "I've gotta have it" bunch will pay a premium for the 1st entirely new type of power train.

^ Yep. Like those first roll-outs of cars/ trucks w/ those goofy CVT trannies. Ugh!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-10-22 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Toyota doesn't have an all electric truck

Name:  AFB96989-5AC6-4766-9BDD-97AB5C81C08E.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  40.2 KB
    Just like cell phones the EV’s will never catch on.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post

Good...

^ Right!

They will but there are trade offs, like many things.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post

And the George Forman grill. The perfect Christmas gift!

Name:  GeorgeFormanGrill.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  6.2 KB

I'm just glad I'll <probably> be dead before this mess gets worse.

I bought one of these so I'll be ahead of the game when they become popular!

Name:  2n Get Smart phone-2.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  40.4 KB

These horseless carriages will never catch on. I mean, seriously, will there be gasoline available everywhere? How could that possibly happen? Who will provide it? I’ll just stick with the old nag and my buggy, thank you very much.

Some Ford EVs Subject to Crazy Markups and Scalpers

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Not yet...

Until you had to 'clean' the thing and realized a good ole' cast iron skillet was far less of a hassle! ----

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    And the George Forman grill. The perfect Christmas gift!
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-11-22 at 06:24 AM.

Ford is at 24 dollars a share now.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    Ford is at 24 dollars a share now.
    I remember saying don’t buy it when it was at 6.00. That’s why I have brokerage accounts and stick to mutual funds. Because just because I watch CNBC doesn’t mean I know what I’m doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    They are coming out with the Tundra EV this summer,it will probably be available before the F150 but unless it is built in an American Union shop,the government incentive cheese will be limited.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2