Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "Yelling, cursing, cussing, and slandering someone in public are in fact crimes."

You just failed US history, congrats!!
    There are laws in Michigan about yelling, cursing and cussing in public. People have been fined and the laws upheld.

Not sure how widespread, but I remember at least one case up north along the AuSable.

"Not sure how widespread, but I remember at least one case up north along the AuSable."

google can be your friend, really. That way you don't have to guess. Took all of 2 minutes to find -- you should try it sometime.

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/...ersed-michigan

Name:  WWJJD.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  4.2 KB

This was an interesting case:

People v. Boomer {Mich. Ct. App.} {2002}

In August 1998, Boomer uttered a stream of profanities after he fell out of his canoe on the Rifle River in Arenac County. A family of four with two children heard Boomer’s cursing and a road patrol deputy heard commotion and vulgar language....

The trial judge rejected those arguments and a jury convicted Boomer of violating the [anti-profanity] law....

Michigan Court of Appeals invalidates profanity law on First Amendment grounds....

The law was repealed in 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by jimaz View Post
    this was an interesting case:

people v. Boomer {mich. Ct. App.} {2002}

wtf?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-15-21 at 03:22 PM.

All this political BS makes me glad I left Michigan 37 years back. Political crap out here in Nevada is minimal in comparison. You guys really love to slug it out, dont'cha????

.. waiting for the visits to the non-Southeast Michigan enclaves of the state: northeast mitten, northwest mitten, southwest mitten, upper peninsula. I wonder where Mr. Craig is going next, and whether there will be customized formats for the 'meet & greet'. [a pancake breakfast? a burgers/hot dogs lunch? Special outfits? [e.g., farmer's overalls, firefighter gear? A hunting and fishing trip photo op?]
    Merchandise with plenty of "back the blue" iconography?
    Since John Engler endorsed him this early, this will also be a test of his influence as a former governor turned campaign consultant and fundraiser.
    Celebrity endorsements at play: Ted Nugent, Kid Rock, Alice Cooper..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; September-15-21 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Not sure how widespread, but I remember at least one case up north along the AuSable.
    It was 1955. I was in a canoe on the AuSable and had just hooked a monster brookie. Played for a good four, five minutes, and my goddam leader broke.

If anyone ever finds a monster trout with a broken leader hanging from his mouth, it's mine. Please contact me at once.

Seriously, though.....so many fond memories. Sigh.

The last time they tried to use the "cursing in front of women and children" law in Mich it got overturned on appeal. The People vs Boomer or the cursing canoeist. It's the case you are talking about.
    https://www.mtsu.edu/first-amendment...er-mich-ct-app
    It was actually the Rifle River and it happened in 1998
    Later in the linked article you will see this subheading
    Michigan Court of Appeals invalidates profanity law on First Amendment grounds
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There are laws in Michigan about yelling, cursing and cussing in public. People have been fined and the laws upheld.

Last edited by jcole; September-15-21 at 05:39 PM.

Oops, sorry; I didn't see you posted this before I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    This was an interesting case:

People v. Boomer {Mich. Ct. App.} {2002}

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Oops, sorry; I didn't see you posted this before I did.
    Hey, great minds think alike.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Optics optics optics. Chad Livengood reported on Detroit Today that the protesters were there BEFORE Chief Craig rolled up for his announcement. They saw the protesters, decided to make a brief announcement to get the money shot and then rolled down to their gated and secured secondary location across the river to have a formal announcement with the donors.

Detroit Will Breath got used like a bunch of stage props and rubes from around the country are tripping over themselves to donate to his campaign. 'Hollywood Craig' strikes again.
    Astute observation. Getting on the political news channels and stroking fears to solicit out of state dark money to a local campaign is a new tactic that can not be dismissed. We will probably see more of it from the leading candidates as this race continues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2