Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Rivertown Market is opening on October 6th:
    https://www.rivertownmarket.com

Vault of Midnight is moving to location on Grand Blvd and opening October 1st:
    https://www.vaultofmidnight.com/grand-opening

Also FYI Google Streetview has updated some Detroit locations for 2021.

So the Plum Market locations in Detroit have been temporary closed since the beginning of pandemic. On Google StreetView from Aug. 2021, there is a banner that says that Plum Market Kitchen Grand Opening this Fall! Not sure if this an old banner that was never removed or that location is planning to repopen.

Attachment 41673

This is more of a side note, but Target is opening in Downtown Ann Arbor Sept. 26th. If I'm not mistaken that location will be the 2nd urban format Target store in Michigan [[other being in East Lansing with apartments on top similar to what Rivertown Market would been like initially). Maybe one day we'll get a Target within the Detroit City limits.
    https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It looks like a Meijer party store.
    its a full grocery store...far from a "party store"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post

So the Plum Market locations in Detroit have been temporary closed since the beginning of pandemic. On Google StreetView from Aug. 2021, there is a banner that says that Plum Market Kitchen Grand Opening this Fall! Not sure if this an old banner that was never removed or that location is planning to repopen.

Attachment 41673

This is more of a side note, but Target is opening in Downtown Ann Arbor Sept. 26th. If I'm not mistaken that location will be the 2nd urban format Target store in Michigan [[other being in East Lansing with apartments on top similar to what Rivertown Market would been like initially). Maybe one day we'll get a Target within the Detroit City limits.
    The Plum Markets downtown are catered to daytime workers and focus on prepared foods with office workers in mind, so really not surprised they are still closed. I think small format grocery stores could work in the greater downtown area if they cater specifically to residents, with more everyday grocery and household essentials and fresh produce. Urban residents tend to shop more frequently than suburban residents, and are more reliable in pandemic times than office workers. But this would be a concept that hasn't really been tested in this region.

As for Target, a small format store like the one in Ann Arbor could probably work, and rumors have been circulating for years. Only thing to do is wait.

Recently based on the Plum Market website does seem like the Plum Market New Center location is now open 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Monday - Friday. Previously it said temporarily closed. So it seems like that banner is current and that they have reopened. I imagine that is due to the NBA season starting soon. The Plum Market at Ally is still closed though.

https://www.plummarket.com/new-center/

It's strange that the one downtown is still closed

Five Iron Golf is a New York based indoor golfing facility that is planning to open on the first floor at the Cambria Hotel in summer 2022 with construction to begin this fall.

I imagine it is pretty similar to Topgolf at the MGM.

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news...troit-in-2022/

So Somerset Collection Studio has been quite disappointing because it was suppose to rotate stores from the Somerset Collection Mall.

I think that when it first opened in Dec. 2020 it basically just had mannequins with lights projected on it with no indoor shopping; mainly for advertising MaxMara.

I believe a couple months after can't recall the brand but it might've been Armani put up a LED screen for advertising.

For the months between April and June they had in bloom sort of decorative space rather than actual shopping.

Afterwards Somerset Studio has been closed until now, seems like MaxModa is opening a pop up Oct. 8th - Oct. 24th.

In other news seems like Eminem's Mom's Spaghettis restaurant that recently opened has gotten on National news. Seems like at least for now combined with the Union Assembly there will actually be some foot traffic in the District Detroit.

The Somerset Collection is just a showcase. Clothes are not being sold off the rack there. It just a place to order clothes from. You would think that the Somerset Collection of years ago would restart in downtown Detroit being that the foot traffic is there

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The Somerset Collection is just a showcase. Clothes are not being sold off the rack there. It just a place to order clothes from. You would think that the Somerset Collection of years ago would restart in downtown Detroit being that the foot traffic is there
    Perhaps it's the food traffic in downtown Detroit that concerns them..

There is plenty of foot traffic in the area to support the Somerset Collection Even during the pandemic there is a lot of foot traffic. Maybe it will restart around the hollidays.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post

Attachment 41673

I am glad that a condo wasn't attached or built ontop of this market. A stand alone grocery store is a much better idea. The Woodward Street Market is a huge success on Woodward and 13 mile road. This one, if properly managed will be a huge success and a shot in the arm on Jefferson Avenue.

I am glad that a condo wasn't attached or built ontop of this market. A stand alone grocery store is a much better idea. The Woodward Street Market is a huge success on Woodward and 13 mile road. This one, if properly managed will be a huge success and a shot in the arm on Jefferson Avenue.
    But the Woodward location is already in a sea of parking. It suits the surroundings. To me the Jefferson location compares more to the Lansing location-on a main commercial corridor, within walking distance of other businesses and tourist destinations. I think it would have been well suited to house a hotel above it, a la the Lansing location.

I have stayed in the Lansing hotel several times. We frequent the store below each time we stay there. It's also convenient for those that live and work nearby.

Name:  Screenshot_20211004-144627_Maps.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  64.5 KB

But hey, this store is a good addition even as a stand alone. People will utilize the new store often, but generally not for their one or two week supply of groceries. It's the kind of place you go for something specific or something new.

Looks like Detroit Axe is opening Oct. 15th in Corktown:

https://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news...g-to-corktown/

There's a new Tropical Smoothie at congress street.

An axe alley! Let's hope anyone don't get axed.

visited the new Meijers today. Its definitely far more than a party store. The wide selection of fresh fruits and veggies and cheap dairy products is a welcome addition compared to the local grocery stores. Though I'd argue it actually has a worse selection of dry goods than Lafayette Foods or Family Fare.

It feels like the midtown Whole Foods with about the same level of selection, but with a price point 2/3rds of Whole Foods.

I just hope this doesn't hurt Lafayette Foods. But I'm guessing they'll be fine.

Motown Records Gift Shop Pop-up in Greektown, through Spring 2022

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...wn/5934256001/

Should make it permanent.

It will be nice to see the Motown Museum finally being built!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Freep has an interesting story today about new retail in downtown Birmingham.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...rs/6337142001/

I am surprised that the Elliot hasn't found a retail tenant for their corner of Grand River and Woodward. The location is prime to say the least, with successful long standing shops on both sides along Woodward. And consider GR is one of the entrances to the retail and restaurants of Capitol Park.

Maybe they're waiting for something big like another Nike or UA to take that spot, but I say just get it filled!

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Freep has an interesting story today about new retail in downtown Birmingham.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...rs/6337142001/

I am surprised that the Elliot hasn't found a retail tenant for their corner of Grand River and Woodward. The location is prime to say the least, with successful long standing shops on both sides along Woodward. And consider GR is one of the entrances to the retail and restaurants of Capitol Park.

Maybe they're waiting for something big like another Nike or UA to take that spot, but I say just get it filled!
    Other prime spots without retail:
    Where the Hard Rock Cafe used to be on the cornering of Woodward and Monroe in Campus Martius

1001 Woodward on the corner of Campus Martius where they used to do pop-up events like indoor rollerskating, right now it is just a storage for Thanksgiving parade

The Stott in Capitol Park

Space next to Capital One Cafe on Woodward and Larned is considered prime retail space, but every-time I walk by Capital One Cafe it is empty. That building renovation has been down for months now, but no retailer yet.

Birmingham leadership has it together when it comes to retail or businesses opening in that city. Detroit doesn't. Hard Rock should had been allowed to stay instead of them being forced out due to very high rent. I still believe that there are factions in this city that make it difficult for retail especially national chains to want to open business in Detroit. Plus there need to be free parking for employees working at these retail or free parking somewhere along Woodward from downtown to grand Blvd where employees could park and take the Qline downtown to their place of employment. Just show the your work ID to get on QLine for free. I think that a store such as Bed, Bath, and Beyond is much needed in Downtown Detroit or even midtown. That could easily fill up the spot on the corner of Woodward and Grand River easily. Lids could open in one of the smaller storefronts along Woodward.

Birmingham leadership has it together when it comes to retail or businesses opening in that city. Detroit doesn't. Hard Rock should had been allowed to stay instead of them being forced out due to very high rent. I still believe that there are factions in this city that make it difficult for retail especially national chains to want to open business in Detroit. Plus there need to be free parking for employees working at these retail or free parking somewhere along Woodward from downtown to grand Blvd where employees could park and take the Qline downtown to their place of employment. Just show the your work ID to get on QLine for free. I think that a store such as Bed, Bath, and Beyond is much needed in Downtown Detroit or even midtown. That could easily fill up the spot on the corner of Woodward and Grand River easily. Lids could open in one of the smaller storefronts along Woodward.
    Hard Rock, like most of the themed restaurants, Planet Hollywood, Espn Zone, etc. have been closing all over the country. How do you know the rent was high? Gilbert has been keeping the rent very low on his downtown retail until there's a critical mass to sustain it. Why did he make an exception here?
    I wouldn't worry about free Q Line fare. Hardly anyone pays anyway.
    Last edited by 401don; November-14-21 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Hard Rock, like most of the themed restaurants, Planet Hollywood, Espn Zone, etc. have been closing all over the country. How do you know the rent was high? Gilbert has been keeping the rent very low on his downtown retail until there's a critical mass to sustain it. Why did he make an exception here?
    I wouldn't worry about free Q Line fare. Hardly anyone pays anyway.
    I was told by an inside source. Hard Rock was doing good at that location and the restaurant had closed that restaurant long before the restaurants started closing nationwide. Hard Rock was looking for another location in the city of Detroit but I guess there were none available amongst the many of empty storefronts that are in the downtown midtown area. The reason why few people get away not paying to ride the Qline is due to there was hardly a person there to make riders pay their fare. The Qline was set up to fail from the start

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast