Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    You mentioned Hanes or Fruit of the Loom, I didn't. You referred to those brands as good quality, I didn't. I'm not an expert on the quality of underpants. Those brands are what the dollar store sells.
    I was agreeing to what someone else had text. We need a store that sell housewares or kitchen and dining wares but oh yeah Detroit doesn't need them for those goods are sold at the dollar stores. Why not Oakland, Fairlane, and Gteat Lakes Crossing just get rid of the stores that sell those products and just open dollar stores in there stead. That's something that these long time City planners belive as an excuse to keep stores that consumers need from opening in Detroit especially downtown

You mentioned Hanes or Fruit of the Loom, I didn't. You referred to those brands as good quality, I didn't. I'm not an expert on the quality of underpants. Those brands are what the dollar store sells.
    The only "dollar" store you'll find underpants are upscale dollar stores [such as Dollar General, where items up to $10 or more are sold]. You won't find them in $1 dollar stores such as Dollar Tree.

Can we get back to new retail in Detroit, and not argue about underwear brands you can buy at the grocery store?

Wait a minute, there's Meijers over on 8 Mile or Grand River. Not only do they sell undergarments, they sell a plethora of different types of men's furnishings.

Taking it back to retail in Detroit, would be nice if the Rivertown Market/Meijer that is opening in Lafayette Park carry home goods as well instead of just groceries so that people don’t have to drive all the way to the Meijer on 8 mile, Northwest Grand River, Allen Park, or Dearborn [[Walmart or Target). Plus there is already Lafayette Foods one block over.

Such low expectations, very bleak. Dollar Store America is not a great place. The fact you can't purchase basic goods in the city of Detroit outside some low-quality dollar stores is quite frankly outrageous. Such is poverty, disinvestment, and loss of hope in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowSoarer View Post
    Taking it back to retail in Detroit, would be nice if the Rivertown Market/Meijer that is opening in Lafayette Park carry home goods as well instead of just groceries so that people don’t have to drive all the way to the Meijer on 8 mile, Northwest Grand River, Allen Park, or Dearborn [[Walmart or Target). Plus there is already Lafayette Foods one block over.
    This will be a great addition to Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Such low expectations, very bleak. Dollar Store America is not a great place. The fact you can't purchase basic goods in the city of Detroit outside some low-quality dollar stores is quite frankly outrageous. Such is poverty, disinvestment, and loss of hope in the USA.
    For $1 dollar stores I agree... but there are the upmarket dollar stores such as Dollar General [I use the term 'upmarket' loosely] where they have a large selection of quality goods as well as lesser stuff.

Aldi's is the perfect store for the neighborhoods of Detroit. They have 1 store on upper Gratiot and one in Jefferson/Chalmers, as well as one in Highland Park. Some people are of the misconception that Aldi's is a low quality store, but that is not the case. They have high quality items, many relabeled as lower priced versions... fresh produce, meats and dairy, and lots of quality grocery items. With their 25 cents buggy return, quality goods, and very strict limited entry/exit, they could do well in some of the city's poorer neighborhoods where shrinkage is a problem.

^^^ Aldi's is grand and I respect their striving to stay in the city.

Hardly low-rent, or shabby they offer good pricing for high quality items. Once you learn which or their house-brands to buy or not buy you're more than good. They also have some name brand items and nice non-food items/ products that come and go far too soon.

For example their Northern Catch Solid White Tuna is great for the price!

Zacha341... Aldi's doesn't have a problem with a worker shortage. They pay their employees a very good wage, with all benefits and holidays/vacation. They are the top of the hill when it comes to treating retail workers. Even though the German family that owns Aldi's is a billionaire family... they don't skimp on employee wages like our el cheapo Walton's/Walmart do.

I shop there twice a month... gallon of milk $1.29, dozen large eggs $1.25, pint of strawberries $0.99... large Italian skillet $12.99 [one of their weird seasonal items].

I'm sure that the pandemic slowed down their USA expansion, but they do plan on opening over 1000 additional stores nationwide. I just hope that Detroiters can benefit from more Aldi stores.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-11-21 at 07:26 PM.

Aldi's is pretty good. It doesn't compare in selection or quality to a full service Meijer or Kroger [[I know it's not supposed to) Probably cheaper on most stuff. Some of their produce doesn't look up to snuff. Also, I'm suspicious of their meat they sell in that thick plastic with the expire date two weeks down the road.

Yes, right. They have for example a distinct work model/ ethic for food retail. One of my cousins worked there for some time. The interview process is very rigorous. All employees must rotate from cashier to stock [using special industrial equipment], fronting the store, to inventory, back to cashier. If you do not show proficiency in these varied areas you are out. They provide seating at the cashiers cube - something almost unheard of in retail employment on any level: cashiers usually cannot sit - ever.

Awesome on pot and pans! I always go to that area for what gems may be had! Two weeks ago Aldi's had Fairway Lactose Free 2% milk only $2.99! I've see that milk as high as $4.69 at Holiday Mrkt in Royal Oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Zacha341... Aldi's doesn't have a problem with a worker shortage. They pay their employees a very good wage, with all benefits and holidays/vacation. They are the top of the hill when it comes to treating retail workers. Even though the German family that owns Aldi's is a billionaire family... they don't skimp on employee wages like our el cheapo Walton's/Walmart do.

I shop there twice a month... gallon of milk $1.29, dozen large eggs $1.25, pint of strawberries $0.99... large Italian skillet $12.99 [one of their weird seasonal items].

I'm sure that the pandemic slowed down their USA expansion, but they do plan on opening over 1000 additional stores nationwide. I just hope that Detroiters can benefit from more Aldi stores.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-11-21 at 08:35 PM.

Yeah I pass on their shrink-wrapped meats and some of the produce. But sometimes their produce deals appeal.

...Also, I'm suspicious of their meat they sell in that thick plastic with the expire date two weeks down the road.

Although there are no Aldi's supermarkets in Santa Fe, NM we do have Trader Joe's, which is owned by Albrecht Discounts, the same company that owns Aldi's supermarket.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; August-11-21 at 08:44 PM.

^ Ah, yes TJ's. I like their frozen options that are less ingredient, and sodium heavy than say Banquet frozen pot pies! Their cracker rounds are the best. Less salt and junk compared to Ritz and cost less!

hahahahhahahahahahahahhaahhaha thinking that the right pair of underwear will save the city hhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    For $1 dollar stores I agree... but there are the upmarket dollar stores such as Dollar General [I use the term 'upmarket' loosely] where they have a large selection of quality goods as well as lesser stuff.

Aldi's is the perfect store for the neighborhoods of Detroit. They have 1 store on upper Gratiot and one in Jefferson/Chalmers, as well as one in Highland Park. Some people are of the misconception that Aldi's is a low quality store, but that is not the case. They have high quality items, many relabeled as lower priced versions... fresh produce, meats and dairy, and lots of quality grocery items. With their 25 cents buggy return, quality goods, and very strict limited entry/exit, they could do well in some of the city's poorer neighborhoods where shrinkage is a problem.
    There's no Aldi on or near Jefferson and Chalmers

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    There's no Aldi on or near Jefferson and Chalmers
    OK... it is 4 blocks north closer to Mack...

I didn't zoom in for its' exact street address... the lower east side of Detroit... if you're splitting hairs.
    Last edited by Gistok; August-12-21 at 12:55 PM.

Looks like Bonchon that makes Korean fried chicken is potentially coming to Detroit in sometime in 2022. One in Farmington Hills is slated to open in October.

https://www.metrotimes.com/table-and...-metro-detroit

Looks like Starbucks in the District Detroit is permanently closing Sept. 24th.

On the other hand Union Assembly is planning to open soon.

Kind of wonder how M Den is able to stay open in that area since Frita Batidos and Rush Bowl have been closed since the beginning of the pandemic.

I think that the direction that Downtown Detroit is going when it come to individual retail stores instead of big box is good. I would love to see more affordable retail such as Columbia, Five Below, Best Buy Outlet, and more boutiques for men and women. There need to be something for children as well. I would love to see what will fill the storefronts of the new development on Washington Blvd and Clifford. Planet Fitness had finally selected a spot on Amsterdam near Second in the Piston's training facilty. Jefferson is finally getting Rivertown Market which will open in a few weeks. Jefferson has great potential as being a strip or avenue lined with high end to low end retail especially in the strip malls. The bike lanes need to be redesigned so to eliminate the blind spots or to be removed all together being that Kercheval has the bike lanes

They removed this sign that says something special coming soon on Woodward, not sure what they are planning for that location:

Attachment 41662

Sign has been there for a while, this is Google Street View from August 2018:
    Attachment 41661

They removed this sign that says something special coming soon on Woodward, not sure what they are planning for that location:

Attachment 41662

Sign has been there for a while, this is Google Street View from August 2018:
    Attachment 41661
    Probably a new restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Probably a new restaurant

I don't know what business jinks Gilbert is doing. But it better be good.
    Last edited by Danny; September-12-21 at 07:23 PM.

Looks like Starbucks in the District Detroit is permanently closing Sept. 24th.

On the other hand Union Assembly is planning to open soon.

Kind of wonder how M Den is able to stay open in that area since Frita Batidos and Rush Bowl have been closed since the beginning of the pandemic.
    Detroit's got way too many Starbucks in every corner. A few of them might down.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast