Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    In the month of November, I would usually go downtown to catch a game or two. If this team keeps getting blown out I'll keep my money in my pocket, who wants to watch this shit? - Guess I'll just hitch my wagon to the Detroit Lions star and hold on tight.
    You are right to save your money until you see some progress. All you want of your rebuilding team is for the young players that are expected to be part of the core to take a step forward each year. When they go backward it's pretty depressing. It's very early though but they are in a tough spot playing really good teams early in the schedule.
    Wings, despite a couple of early wins, don't look much better.
    The Lions should not be mentioned. The Tigers, provided they get a shortstop and 2 starters, should play over .500 this year and contend in 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You are right to save your money until you see some progress. All you want of your rebuilding team is for the young players that are expected to be part of the core to take a step forward each year. When they go backward it's pretty depressing. It's very early though but they are in a tough spot playing really good teams early in the schedule.
    Wings, despite a couple of early wins, don't look much better.
    The Lions should not be mentioned. The Tigers, provided they get a shortstop and 2 starters, should play over .500 this year and contend in 2023.
    Good analysis.

I don't know how on earth the Pistons can be THIS bad. They are the worst team in the league. They can't even stay on the court with the 2nd worst team in the league. They've gone backwards from last year. What a horrible loss to OKC, this has to be the ultimate indignity.

They really are much less than the sum of their parts, and in a horrible death-spiral slump now to boot. There is a fair amount of talent there, and you can see their potential for some stretches in some games. But it just doesn't seem to mesh together at all in any way that could win many games against NBA-level competition. And the coaches seem at a total loss as to how to get this collection of misfit parts to come together at all.

It is hard to believe they could add Cade, who's starting to play really well, and be this much worse. Last year they had a bench unit that came in together and usually outscored the opponents. This year it seems they are just bringing in guys one at a time who are not jelling with the regulars. Last year's strong bench may have deceived us into thinking the younger players were better than they were, with guys like Bey being pushed into a starter's role.

It's been discouraging.

The biggest issues they have now are:

Kelly Olynyk is hurt. They have literally nobody to play center. Luke Garza is a 2nd round rookie and has to be one of the slowest players in the NBA. He wasn't necessarily a bad pick. I think there's a place for him at some point, but he has no business being out there right now.

Neither Stewart nor Hayes can shoot. To have two-fifths of your lineup as non-scoring threats isn't going to lead to success anywhere. Not in this NBA. They're both 20 years old, though, so I'm sure the hope is that at least one of them finds their touch when shooting the ball.

Their bench has been awful this year. Pretty much every bench player has regressed from last year, whether they were on this team or not.

Coaching. The more I see of Casey, the less I think he's a fit for this team. He either has no interest or no ability to adjust his system for the roster he has, and it's hurting the development of these players, who comprise the youngest roster in the league [[or close to it). I would be surprised if they didn't part ways before the start of next season.

I guess we have to hope that they can pull out some respectability this year, but at this point, we're already looking ahead to next season. Cunningham looks like he'll be a star, so we do have that. There's no need to scrap the whole thing. Hopefully one more high draft pick plus Blake's contract coming off the books will allow them to make the progress next year that we'd hoped was coming now.

It's really looking like we are at the very beginning of the rebuild. Cade is the only starter going forward. Bey and Stewart can be part of the rotation off the bench but neither are starters. Need to hope Grant plays consistent and trade him while he still has value.

It's really looking like we are at the very beginning of the rebuild. Cade is the only starter going forward. Bey and Stewart can be part of the rotation off the bench but neither are starters. Need to hope Grant plays consistent and trade him while he still has value.
    Bey has really taken a tumble in his shooting. He's not shooting nearly as well as he did last year, when he made the all-rookie team. Hope he gets his confidence back, I think he can be a good SF in this league. I've heard some teams have been calling about Grant's availability. We'll see..

It's a frustrating third year of another Piston rebuild, and the team appears to be getting slightly worse. At best, another 20 win season. I'm amazed that the Pistons lost to an Oklahoma City team that only a few nights previously lost by the biggest margin ever in an NBA game. Unless the Pistons get better in the second half of the season, Wade needs to go.

I agree with you about Grant. He is the most marketable of the current roster. However, who would replace him? Jackson, Olynyk, Lyles? All three are no more than journeymen.

Quote Originally Posted by enio View Post
    It's a frustrating third year of another Piston rebuild, and the team appears to be getting slightly worse. At best, another 20 win season. I'm amazed that the Pistons lost to an Oklahoma City team that only a few nights previously lost by the biggest margin ever in an NBA game. Unless the Pistons get better in the second half of the season, Wade needs to go.

I agree with you about Grant. He is the most marketable of the current roster. However, who would replace him? Jackson, Olynyk, Lyles? All three are no more than journeymen.

Wade ??

Thought they might finally win one last night. Rallied and took it right to the buzzer in OT before "pulling a Lions".

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Wade ??
    I'm sure enio meant Dwane. I'm not quite as concerned about the coach since this is a rebuild, but some of his lineups and sets they run are puzzling. It's hard for guys like Hayes to get going when he's relegated to the corner on offense. Casey just got an extension through the 23-24 season, and I wouldn't expect the Pistons to be serious contenders under that timeline anyway. I'd bet he retires and takes a front office role after that season. Current assistant Jerome Allen could be next up.

I think Friday's game against the Pelicans is important. New Orleans is almost as bad as the Pistons. Detroit ought to be able to gather themselves and win this one, or else they must be totally comatose.

I have heard some say that the Pistons must be tanking on purpose. Of course, that makes no sense, that would entail a conspiracy that would be impossible - wouldn't it?

I have heard some say that the Pistons must be tanking on purpose. Of course, that makes no sense, that would entail a conspiracy that would be impossible - wouldn't it?
    I think they are clearly tanking. It's not that the players are giving less effort on purpose, the roster was just not constructed to succeed in the NBA. There's a reason Kelly Olynyk was the "big" free agent signing this offseason, replacing Plumlee. I think their timeline to start to build a better roster [[with current and future high draft picks) is in 2-3 seasons. For now, you hopefully develop your young guys and keep accumulating good draft picks.

I think Friday's game against the Pelicans is important. New Orleans is almost as bad as the Pistons. Detroit ought to be able to gather themselves and win this one, or else they must be totally comatose.
    Not sure about that. If the Pistons, who are the worst team in the league, win against anybody on the road it's an upset.

Pistons led most of the game until the 3rd qtr did them in. They always give up leads.

Dave Bing had some interesting thoughts about Cade Cunningham. He said while he is an all-star caliber player, he isn't the type of player you build your team around. That was said on the telecast of the Pistons - Nets game. He also said the team needs a point guard, which is what they drafted number 7 last year.

Dave Bing had some interesting thoughts about Cade Cunningham. He said while he is an all-star caliber player, he isn't the type of player you build your team around. That was said on the telecast of the Pistons - Nets game. He also said the team needs a point guard, which is what they drafted number 7 last year.
    Cade has everything but the outside shot right now. If he can get that along with driving to the basket he's probably best suited at the 2, guarding the other bigger guards. I have no doubt he'll continue to improve all aspects of his game. It's becoming clear that Hayes has a lot to learn. You can get talent in Europe but you better be damn sure you're not being deceived by the talent level of the competition over there when you're drafting.

12 in a row, and counting. This team just can't seem to get through a 4th quarter. Of course giving up 50+ to KD doesn't help.

Pistons suck this year. I at least expected them to battle for a play-in spot. Bey and Stewart have regressed. Hayes hasn't improved and looks lost out there. Diallo has stepped up his game however after a bunch of DNP-CD which I didn't understand. Hurts that Olynyk is out, and they're probably on the verge of trading Jeremi Grant. One team I am impressed with so far are the Cleveland Cavaliers. They look legit after a rough start like Detroit. I think the players have started to tune Casey out.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-15-21 at 08:10 AM.

I think this may be the worst Pistons team in the history of the franchise.

If you take the Pistons current winning percentage [[.143) and ended the season today, it would be statistically the worst Pistons team in the 73 season history of the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    If you take the Pistons current winning percentage [[.143) and ended the season today, it would be statistically the worst Pistons team in the 73 season history of the franchise.
    Why settle? Closing in quickly on worst in NBA history. 9-73 is definitely doable.

Why settle? Closing in quickly on worst in NBA history. 9-73 is definitely doable.
    73 Sixers right? They might eclipse that record.

The 2012 Charlotte Bobcats went 7-59 for the worst record in NBA history [[by percentage; there was a lockout into December that year). They drafted Michael Kidd-Gilchrist 2nd overall, and since then have made the playoffs twice, losing in the first round both times. Gulp.

The 73 Sixers had the worst record for a full season, going 9-73. They drafted Doug Collins and made the NBA Finals four years later. Yay?
    Last edited by EGrant; December-19-21 at 02:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast