Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Pistons, who desperately need some size up front, are acquiring Bol Bol, for Rodney McGruder and a 2nd round pick. Yes, that's Manute's son and he's 7' 2". Basically a former prospect, still young, who never got many minutes and hasn't panned out with Denver. The more important question, was it just a typo at the hospital or were mom and dad too lazy to come with a first name?
    Last edited by 401don; January-10-22 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Pistons, who desperately need some size up front, are acquiring Bol Bol, for Rodney McGruder and a 2nd round pick. Yes, that's Manute's son and he's 7' 2". Basically a former prospect, still young, who never got many minutes and hasn't panned out with Denver. The more important question, was it just a typo at the hospital or were mom and dad too lazy to come with a first name?

I was wondering the same about his name. All jokes aside, this is a low risk move for Detroit. I don't know why they had to include a 2nd rounder to get it done, but Bol Bol has skills for a 7'2 big. He can handle the ball and shoot 3's. Don't know why Denver wasn't playing him, but he should get substantial minutes here to see if he's a fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I was wondering the same about his name. All jokes aside, this is a low risk move for Detroit. I don't know why they had to include a 2nd rounder to get it done, but Bol Bol has skills for a 7'2 big. He can handle the ball and shoot 3's. Don't know why Denver wasn't playing him, but he should get substantial minutes here to see if he's a fit.
    Definitely worth taking a flyer on. He was expected to be a high 1st round pick before injuring his foot near the end of his freshman season. He probably should have played a 2nd year in college. I just read on Wiki he was named after his great grandfather who was a tribal chief in Africa. His full name is actually Bob Manute Bol.

Definitely worth taking a flyer on. He was expected to be a high 1st round pick before injuring his foot near the end of his freshman season. He probably should have played a 2nd year in college. I just read on Wiki he was named after his great grandfather who was a tribal chief in Africa. His full name is actually Bob Manute Bol.
    Thanks for the info.

Trade voided. Bol Bol flunked the physical. Too bad, I was looking forward to his debut tomorrow.

Trade voided. Bol Bol flunked the physical. Too bad, I was looking forward to his debut tomorrow.
    It's controversial, some say the Pistons use that as a tactic when they decide they don't want a player. Not the first time an athlete they picked up has flunked their physical.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    It's controversial, some say the Pistons use that as a tactic when they decide they don't want a player. Not the first time an athlete they picked up has flunked their physical.
    If they didn't want him, wouldn't they have just passed on the trade offer. I'm not understanding the conspiracy theory here.

Former NBA player Donatas Motiejunas has called them out because Detroit traded for him a few years back when he was with Houston, and they said he failed his physical and rescinded that trade.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/donatas-...bol-bol-trade/

Former NBA player Donatas Motiejunas has called them out because Detroit traded for him a few years back when he was with Houston, and they said he failed his physical and rescinded that trade.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/donatas-...bol-bol-trade/
    Does Motiejunas mention that after returning to the Rockets and negotiating a 4 yr. deal the Rockets backed out on another failed physical? It's ridiculous to think the Pistons didn't want this trade to happen and it would get around the league pretty quickly if they were looking for excuses to fail physicals.
    Anyway, great game last night. No explaining why the Pistons get up so well for the Raptors just because it's Casey's former team, although the Raptors played and shot horribly. Cunningham is really starting to play more aggressively. On the flip side, Hayes still looks like a bust. No form on his shot whatsoever.
    Last edited by 401don; January-15-22 at 09:06 AM.

Does Motiejunas mention that after returning to the Rockets and negotiating a 4 yr. deal the Rockets backed out on another failed physical? It's ridiculous to think the Pistons didn't want this trade to happen and it would get around the league pretty quickly if they were looking for excuses to fail physicals.
    Anyway, great game last night. No explaining why the Pistons get up so well for the Raptors just because it's Casey's former team, although the Raptors played and shot horribly. Cunningham is really starting to play more aggressively. On the flip side, Hayes still looks like a bust. No form on his shot whatsoever.
    Agreed. Motiejunas is just salty he's not in the league anymore. Hayes is a bust IMO. I've always said they should have taken Haliburton who's thriving on a so-so team in Sacramento. Him and Cade would have worked well together.

Agreed. Motiejunas is just salty he's not in the league anymore. Hayes is a bust IMO. I've always said they should have taken Haliburton who's thriving on a so-so team in Sacramento. Him and Cade would have worked well together.
    I wanted Haliburton too and when he slipped I couldn't believe they passed him up. Problem is if he's on the Pistons the draft order likely changes and they don't get Cunningham. You know, star trek space-time continuum.

I wanted Haliburton too and when he slipped I couldn't believe they passed him up. Problem is if he's on the Pistons the draft order likely changes and they don't get Cunningham. You know, star trek space-time continuum.
    That makes sense.

I know in the grand scheme of things it isn't important, but this Pistons team isn't getting better as the season goes on, they're getting way worse. They're horrible, maybe the worst team in franchise history. Basically, they can't stay on the court with anybody. They're almost unwatchable. These guys have been playing basketball their entire lives, they're among the top 500 basketball players in the world and this is what we get? How does the coach and GM continue to get a pass on this?

I know in the grand scheme of things it isn't important, but this Pistons team isn't getting better as the season goes on, they're getting way worse. They're horrible, maybe the worst team in franchise history. Basically, they can't stay on the court with anybody. They're almost unwatchable. These guys have been playing basketball their entire lives, they're among the top 500 basketball players in the world and this is what we get? How does the coach and GM continue to get a pass on this?
    When Lions and Wings fans are bad you get anger. Pistons fans are far fewer in this town and what's left is apathy. I agree though, with all the back-to-backs in the NBA you should win the odd game just because the other team is exhausted or indifferent this time of year. It's sad. It's also embarrassing how much positive press the News and Freep give this team about another "strong" effort that faded in the 2nd half or the enthusiasm for trading for another reclamation project.

It's hard to watch. But I'd say there's maybe four guys on this roster that will be here by the time the team is good again. Cade, Bey, Diallo, Frank Jackson. Maybe Stewart and Hayes, but they've been so up and down this season.

The real test starts this offseason, when the team finally has cap space and another high draft pick.

Pistons are finally showing some life winning 6 of 8, most of which have been close games. They have Cunningham & Grant healthy and playing together, along with improved play from Bey and the addition of Bagley. They will have some interesting decisions in the off-season. I think you see how the ping pong balls bounce and who you get in the draft before deciding whether to use some of the cap space on extending Grant or Bagley. I'm really starting to like Hayes, especially on defence, and he's still so young. He better shoot a million shots in the summer to improve that shot. Just don't win too many down the stretch guys!
    Last edited by 401don; March-08-22 at 07:50 PM.

I read on SB's Pistons blog that the Blazers are strongly looking to get Jerami Grant, and might be tanking to sweeten the pick to offer. I haven't followed much college ball, but I thought this year's draft class was on the lower end. Shouldn't they wait until next season for a better deal? Portland already gave away most of their good players.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    I read on SB's Pistons blog that the Blazers are strongly looking to get Jerami Grant, and might be tanking to sweeten the pick to offer. I haven't followed much college ball, but I thought this year's draft class was on the lower end. Shouldn't they wait until next season for a better deal? Portland already gave away most of their good players.
    It's complicated. The Blazers would get the Pelicans 1st round pick in addition to their own this year but only if the Pelicans pick falls between 6-14. There are some excellent picks late in the lottery this year, even as late as 9-10. The Pistons want 1st and foremost to get one of the top 3 picks, all forwards. After that they would love a shooting guard and might get a really good one deeper in the lottery. Problem is the Pelicans may not fall enough for Portland to get the pick and both picks the Blazers get might not be low enough to entice the Pistons to trade Grant for it unless it's a lottery pick.
    Last edited by 401don; March-22-22 at 05:50 PM.

They may not need to trade Grant at all. For the first half of the season, it looked like his game wasn't a fit with Cade's. But since he's come back, his game is very complimentary and Cade, Bey, and Grant seem to be great trio.

Guess I'm not ruling it out, but if they do trade him, they're pretty much going to have to find his replacement in the draft. If they don't, it does give them more flexibility in what to do with whatever pick they end up with in the lottery.

They've looked somewhat better the last 4 or 5 weeks. They're playing like a more cohesive team some nights. The first half of the season they were horrible. I was expecting more from them this year, maybe 30 wins or something like that. Will they actually be relevant next year? Obviously, they're going to need a huge step forward.

They've looked somewhat better the last 4 or 5 weeks. They're playing like a more cohesive team some nights. The first half of the season they were horrible. I was expecting more from them this year, maybe 30 wins or something like that. Will they actually be relevant next year? Obviously, they're going to need a huge step forward.
    They never had Cade and Grant healthy and on the floor together until the 2nd half. Also Bey was in a horrible 1st half slump. He's still very streaky but has learned to drive to the basket when the shot isn't falling. With a top pick and cap room they will be much better next year. I only wish Grant was a couple of years younger so it would make the decision to resign him easier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3