Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
Next chapter in the book: VICE SQUAD TEMPORARY ASSIGNMENT.

I came in for roll call one late December day [[1963), and the Sergeant called me aside, handing me a blue slip that I still have in the scrap book. To my surprise I was being temporarily assigned out to the Vice Bureau for two months. This was considered a training session.

Guess I did okay, because the C.O. gave me a good writeup at the completion of that two month stint. However......I didn't like it at all. Vice work deals with the lower portion of humanity. In addition, you have to turn yourself into quite an actor to "play the role" to get a liquor, gambling, or vice case. I'm a lousy actor. Regardless, I managed to fumble my way through.

One thing that irks me to this day are the hours and hours we spent looking for numbers runners. Folks back then [[as now) liked to play the number, then a three-digit daily number that would pay them 600-1 if they hit. The numbers then were based on a complicated system of the parimutual payoffs at the Detroit Race Course or Hazel Park. During the off season, the payoffs at Hialeah Race Course in Florida were used. The first digit was determined by the addition of all the payoff amounts in the first race; the second from the second race, and so on. The department worked hard to try to eliminate this unlawful gambling. Now, alas, the state runs the damn thing. It's called the State Lottery. I guess as long as the state gets a cut it's okay. Go figure. Oh......the state only pays 500 to 1 for a hit, not 600 to 1 as the old mutuals racketeers did. [bring back the mob!]

[Note to Lowell.....noticed I finally used brackets correctly!]

After my two-month stint, back to the Second Precinct. I spent some months in the precinct 'cleanup squad', the localized area of the Vice Bureau. We worked mainly on licensed liquor establishments for violations -- sale to minors, after hours sales, etc.

Back in the fifties and early sixties, there were still illegal moonshine stills in operation in the City. Raiding a still and knocking it over was a good piece of work. I'm sure there hasn't been a still in Detroit since, oh, 1975 at best. They'd ferment corn mash to make cheap booze, and it tasted more like Prestone anti-freeze than anything else. But it was cheap and it sold. I used to bring home a gallon jug occasionally [after a raid] to clean my paint brushes.
During your temporary assignment to the Vice Bureau, I take it you were based downtown at the first precinct? What was the parking situation like there back then? I've heard at times it was problem to the point of becoming a joke. Did you spend time at the old Recorder's Court testifying in cases? Had that building become a dump by this time? I believe it was demolished in 1973.