Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

^ Someone weighing bus v.s. car probably isn't shopping for "average car", I.E. a $35,000 Lincoln MKZ or the like. Probably more like a Chevy Trax, or if they're smart, a well-used Fusion with 50,000 miles.

Buy one of those for $4,000 and drive it for 8 years, then sell it for $1,500, making the cost more like $315 a year. Plus a grand for maintenance, and $1,200 for insurance, and you get more like $2,500 a year. [[My first 3 cars were all under $1,400 in today's money).

We also have to consider a worker's time.

The rail + feeder system etc you speak about means workers spend literally hours getting to and from work. 15 min waiting for a bus, then go to a stop and get off, then wait again for a train, then travel down WW or the like at 8 mph.

I've had employees that commuted on the bus [[which is faster) for 1:45 to work, then another 1:15 to get home, for what would have been a 12 min drive each way by car. What does that lost 650 hours year cost? At just $15 an hour it's almost $10k.

V.s. $2,500 - $5,000 to have a car? And all the freedom it provides?

I don't know. I just don't see it. For an entertainment district sure, the light rail makes sense, IF occasionally there's a huge, safe, clean, well-lit parking garage. But outside of that, as a means to get around or get to work, and with our low pop density, it just seems like another way to light truckloads of money on fire.
    Last edited by Rocket; September-27-21 at 02:46 PM.