Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The OP just joined yesterday and this was his first and only post, so, while it's a bit weird that you would join just to post this, it could be a new and different poster than you think it is. The handle "motorcity" isn't exactly original in Detroit

The OP joined 9-6-20 and has a total of 90 posts.

The OP just joined yesterday and this was his first and only post, so, while it's a bit weird that you would join just to post this, it could be a new and different poster than you think it is. The handle "motorcity" isn't exactly original in Detroit
    You might have clicked on the wrong profile. This person's MotorCity account was made in the fall and from their posts you can get a sense of what they're about. They've also had other accounts on DetroitYes and also has a bunch of reddit accounts and a bunch of other accounts on pretty much any site that has a Detroit forum.

The chances that they actually live in West Village are low, and the chances that they spend their weekends picking up litter in their neighborhood is even lower. With spring arriving there have been some posts around the internet about people organizing cleanups and I'm guessing that is what inspired this new line of trolling. And it's definitely trolling, every other sentence weaves in a new narrative to bait responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    The chances that they actually live in West Village are low, andthe chances that they spend their weekends picking up litter in their neighborhood is even lower.
    Because....?

Litter is obviously a problem in the city and well worth a serious discussion on how to abate.

I think that a stronger sense of pride in the city, the metro and state would be a major step in the right direction to helping the litter issue. Unfortunately there has been way too much tribalism, complaining and finger pointing going on in SE Michigan for a long time, contributing to a low self image here. People like motorcity are an excellent example of this problem. He’s not going anywhere. He will be back bitching more about what a degenerate charlatan Dan Gilbert is in a matter of months just like many times before under his multitude of handles. Anyone who sees something positive happening in Detroit is what really gets under his skin. We all know the reason why. Not hard to figure out if one has lived in the area for a while and talked to enough people.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; May-04-21 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Litter is obviously a problem in the city and well worth a serious discussion on how to abate.

I think that a stronger sense of pride in the city, the metro and state would be a major step in the right direction to helping the litter issue. Unfortunately there has been way too much tribalism, complaining and finger pointing going on in SE Michigan for a long time, contributing to a low self image here. People like motorcity are an excellent example of this problem. HeĀ’s not going anywhere. He will be back bitching more about what a degenerate charlatan Dan Gilbert is in a matter of months just like many times before under his multitude of handles. Anyone who sees something positive happening in Detroit is what really gets under his skin. We all know the reason why. Not hard to figure out if one has lived in the area for a while and talked to enough people.

Yeah, he's probably one of those armchair generals from some 'burb like Auburn Hills posting a lot of clueless opinions he's formulated from watching the 11 o'clock noose, on how to make Detroit better.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    Well it wasn't exactly all of a sudden, the city lost like half it's tax base.
    Ok, wrong choice of words. But you know what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    You might have clicked on the wrong profile. This person's MotorCity account was made in the fall and from their posts you can get a sense of what they're about. They've also had other accounts on DetroitYes and also has a bunch of reddit accounts and a bunch of other accounts on pretty much any site that has a Detroit forum.

The chances that they actually live in West Village are low, and the chances that they spend their weekends picking up litter in their neighborhood is even lower. With spring arriving there have been some posts around the internet about people organizing cleanups and I'm guessing that is what inspired this new line of trolling. And it's definitely trolling, every other sentence weaves in a new narrative to bait responses.
    Thanks for pointing this out. If the guy is a troll, that just loves to Detroit-Bash, then F_ck him...

I'd swear last night it said join date was 5/3, but I must have been reading something wrong. Thanks for the correction
    Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The OP joined 9-6-20 and has a total of 90 posts.

I just now went in and skimmed the 90 posts. I'd worry
    a little if multiple people were posting that I was a troll!
    motorcity is based downtown and provided helpful insights
    on comparison building projects in other cities.

So I live in Detroit and pick up the street trash of course.
    Detroit IS worse than many other places out there. So I actually
    have two boxes of trash bags in my hatch and usually also
    disposable gloves. So if I go on a hike in beautiful Michigan,
    if trailhead litter conditions warrant, I can be a volunteer to
    pick up trash along the trail. I am a member of Michigan
    Nature Association. Like other members no doubt I treasure
    this land and that includes Detroit.

My parents and grandparents brought me up in so many
    ways but Girl Scouts troop leaders and camp advisers
    are the ones who get full credit for my litter picking habits.
    An important last step in breaking camp was to pick up
    all litter, ALL OF THE LITTER, EVERY LAST BIT,
    in the camping area. NOT just your own litter. ALL
    LITTER. EVERY LAST BIT.

motorcity panned Chief Craig on the crime and may or
    may not include littering as an aspect of the crime picture.
    It is for real a problem! [ Shoutout to Penske for hiring a
    crowd to totally clean up the downtown area ahead of the
    Super Bowl a while back. ]
    Article about Super Bowl prep, not specifically mentioning
    the litter cleanup: Race king Penske leads Detroit's Super Bowl plan [[espn.com)

And here is a contrasting commentary - the $100 million? all
    from Roger Penske? [This should go in his Wikipedia article.]
    to clean up downtown, vs. the one cubic yard limit [ and that
    only once a month at the time?] for bulk pickup in the rest of
    the city:

https://www.michigandaily.com/uncate...te-super-city/

Rather than banning motorcity I would like to see a post
    in the future from motorcity in their home-to-be on how
    people there are dealing with litter or how they are
    socialized to not litter in the first place. Good luck
    with the move, hope you have good neighbors and
    friends to help out!
    Last edited by Dumpling; May-05-21 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcity View Post
    I'm not going to lie and say we weren't mulling a move, especially with work from home and our house being worth a lot more than we paid, but honestly the final straw was all the litter. We pick up litter and trash every single Saturday from sunrise until at least 11am throughout the neighborhood.
    Hopefully you can take the money that you end up with free and clear, move to a rural area and concentrate on cleaning rural roadsides...and/or find a good shrink that can treat purgamentophobia, a fear of garbage and trash.
    Bye now.
    Don't look back.
    Last edited by detroitbob; May-05-21 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    I agree. The trash problem has become unbearable. People want me to buy a 520K house with trash rolling in from Mack Avenue. No thanks. I have a lot of sympathy for poor people in Detroit but this is one of their habits that pisses the shit out if me. Take your dirty temporary idiocy somewhere else. Throw your trash away.
    Where off of Mack? I'm not aware of any $520K houses off of Mack.

I live off of Mack.

The ‘Keep Detroit Beautiful’ campaign could use some reinvigorating. Some new signage could be helpful. Maybe a fresher slogan?

Some cities have a adopt a road or street trash pick up programs to combat the litter,with volunteers that go out on a Saturday morning and collect it all.

There is a curve going into a subdivision by me and is a favorite spot for everybody to throw their bags of take out trash and bottles,the sheriffs department brings out a jail crew Saturday mornings and picks it all up.

By Sunday morning it is all trashed again.

You cannot move away from it and it is mostly in low income locations,you will not change the culture behind it so if anybody has the answer,make sure you let the rest of the country know,because it happens everywhere.

I think the most mind boggling part is watching somebody standing right next to a dumpster or trash can,and they throw the trash on the ground.

The join date says September 2020, they have 90 posts, same person you see trolling in the other threads and personally insulting people. I had to do a double take. But this is that same guy.

Where are you seeing that they joined yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. If the guy is a troll, that just loves to Detroit-Bash, then F_ck him...
    He is, I'm glad to see that some people understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    He is, I'm glad to see that some people understand.
    The original post seems to bash everything from the never to be built Hudson block to the tint of the blue sky being too bland. I doubt they are homeowners or even residents.

I left in late '98. My last trip there was sometime in '99.

I'm over 500 miles away on a narrow, winding, hilly country road to nowhere ... literally. It loops around from a main road, back to the same main road. There are about twenty houses in three miles. Most people here own fifty acres or more. Some own hundreds of acres. My place may be the smallest with about four acres.

Yet, I still see litter along this road. I picked it up once a year or so back ... on a little over a mile, both sides, I got about two big garbage bags full. Beer cans to fast food wrappers to plastic shopping bags and cups. Absolute ZERO reason for it here, yet there it was. I'm due to make another sweep one of these days.

This thread is fascinating from a psychological perspective. I can relate to both 'sides.' During my time living in the city, I experienced first-hand that there was a much greater than 'normal' problem with people littering -- a local Detroit mentality" perhaps relating to what's known as the "broken window syndrome" and it was definitely being taken-advantage of by scum from other areas taking-advantage of that by coming from outside Detroit to dump their old couch, boat, etc. in the city.

But when I noticed myself getting the knee-jerk, irrational, somewhat violent emotional reaction to people who were saying/posting bad experiences about the city despite me knowing full-well what they were saying was true, I knew I was "going-native" and needed to get the hell out of the Detroit. I lasted 5 years there. It's abundantly clear that some people here have that same bunker-mentality, unfortunately -- I envision them as being more bastard children of Coleman Young.

I explained above that I must have read it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satiricalivory View Post
    The join date says September 2020, they have 90 posts, same person you see trolling in the other threads and personally insulting people. I had to do a double take. But this is that same guy.

Where are you seeing that they joined yesterday?

Quote Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
    ...I envision them as being more bastard children of Coleman Young.
    ^^^You had me 100% agreeing with your post until this stupid comment at the very end.

The man's been dead for nearly 25 years. He can't hurt you any more. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
    This thread is fascinating from a psychological perspective. I can relate to both 'sides.' During my time living in the city, I experienced first-hand that there was a much greater than 'normal' problem with people littering -- a local Detroit mentality" perhaps relating to what's known as the "broken window syndrome" and it was definitely being taken-advantage of by scum from other areas taking-advantage of that by coming from outside Detroit to dump their old couch, boat, etc. in the city.

But when I noticed myself getting the knee-jerk, irrational, somewhat violent emotional reaction to people who were saying/posting bad experiences about the city despite me knowing full-well what they were saying was true, I knew I was "going-native" and needed to get the hell out of the Detroit. I lasted 5 years there. It's abundantly clear that some people here have that same bunker-mentality, unfortunately -- I envision them as being more bastard children of Coleman Young.
    You just joined this insular obscure forum to make this comment in this specific thread. Interesting...

Lots of really quirky contributions to this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ^^^You had me 100% agreeing with your post until this stupid comment at the very end.

The man's been dead for nearly 25 years. He can't hurt you any more. Get over it.
    And despite all that, he ran the city better than any major previous or since. He kept the books balanced his whole time in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And despite all that, he ran the city better than any major previous or since. He kept the books balanced his whole time in office.
    Lets not do this. Coleman Young was not a good mayor to say the least. He pointlessly and vindictively destroyed so much in this city for no reason other than his bloated ego, pride and spite.
    Last edited by Satiricalivory; May-06-21 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Lots of really quirky contributions to this thread...
    LOL

Yeah, I seem to be sensing lots of quirkiness here. Might be just a hunch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast