Packers: L
    Vikings: L
    Browns: L
    Steelers: L
    Seahawks: L
    Rams: L
    Falcons: L

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Ah, yes. The old Detroit Lions "we got a new regime" talk that takes place every four years in February.

"Finally we got a GM and coach that can take us to the promised land."

This one is already making deals with his former team. Yeah, okay, he got two late first rounders and a really expensive quarterback. Might be a bargaining chip in there somewhere.

"But this one feels different. He's hiring coaches and coordinators with track records from winning organizations."

A la Morningweig, Mariucci, et all.

We'll be longing for the days of Wayne Fontes and remembering fondly the 9-7 records of Jim Caldwell by September 2022.

"This is the year:" the Lions win 6.

Bruh, you're not even giving them a chance.....

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    2021 PREDICTION: 3-13

Home:
    Bears: L
    Cardinals: L
    49ers: W
    Ravens: L
    Bengals: W
    Eagles: W
    Away:
    Browns: L
    Steelers: L
    Rams: L
    You're not giving them hope either.....They'll win more than 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    You're not giving them hope either.....They'll win more than 3 games.
    Correct, they'll win four

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Bruh, you're not even giving them a chance.....
    Lions free since Barry walked away. Nothing to see here......

What-up w/all the media negativity surrounding Jared Goff? His winning record [[42/27) clearly beats his predecessor [[74/90), wait a minute, he's probably not losing enough for the local media. . . ...yep.

Oh, the latest "buzz" is "developing" a 1st-rnd draft QB to be elite - ask Joey Harrington, Chuck Long, or Andre Ware how that learning & development worked out.

I think the knock on Goff is that his stats have fallen off quite a bit the last two seasons, ever since they got to the Super Bowl. The perception seems to be that he's been weak link a team and could have been holding them back. Plus, his regression came after getting the huge contract extension, and he fell out of favor with Sean McVay, who basically can do no wrong.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect. He looked lost when they first put him out there a few years ago. After that, he seemed to suddenly pull it all together and looked like a franchise QB. Since then, he's landed somewhere in between. Best case, he gets motivated, the team puts the right guys around him, and pulls it together and we have ourselves a QB, which allows us to use the bounty of picks over the next three drafts elsewhere. Worst case, he's not the guy and we're locked in to drafting a QB sometime in the next three drafts.

The usual thing to say is that it won't work out for the Lions, but for some reason it actually seems like they're doing things the right way. In the decades that I've been following the team, I've never seen a coaching staff here so universally praised as the one that Campbell is putting together, plus Holmes, Dorsey, and Agnew is a pretty sweet combo in the front office. Whether it works or not, it's clear that they're not doing things the SOL way.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    I've never seen a coaching staff here so universally praised as the one that Campbell is putting together. . .
    Agree, "big & plenty of money" must have been the motivator to attract the coaching talent, instead of the normal "low buck Jimmy-Bob nobody w/a criminal record" profile.
    Last edited by Smirnoff; February-17-21 at 08:05 AM.

Insanity: With finishing in last-place the past 3 seasons & ranked 31st in 2021, why would mgt franchise tag a single & non-team old regime w/attitude player [[Golladay) for $16 million? Can't they lose for far less money [[lol)?

Take the cash & focus on the immediate need, some decent defensive dudes [[DDD). . . ...yep.

A franchise player can be traded, where often he'll sign a longer contract with his new team and the team trading him will get a better return than the compensatory pick they'd likely get by letting him walk [[likely a 3rd round pick for Golladay). Yannick Ngakoue, Jadaveon Clowney, Frank Clark, all recent examples of this.

The Lions made out pretty well on the Stafford trade when you compare it to the Wentz deal. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Golladay's injury[[s) & being away for 1-year is a franchise-tag gamble for any future return, I say pink-slip, take the compensatory, & spend the $16MIL on defense. During the rebuild, they need talented defensive players, several. . . ...not $16MIL WR's they cannot "move" to finish in last place, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Golladay's injury[[s) & being away for 1-year is a franchise-tag gamble for any future return, I say pink-slip, take the compensatory, & spend the $16MIL on defense. During the rebuild, they need talented defensive players, several. . . ...not $16MIL WR's they cannot "move" to finish in last place, again.
    I guess the Lions agree with that. They're letting Golladay walk. This is looking more like a rebuild [[again) then a revamp [[again).

Let's change that.

2021 PREDICTION: 7-9

Home:

Cardinals: W

49ers: W

Ravens: L

Bengals: W

Eagles: W

Away:

Browns: W

Steelers: W

Rams: W

That's better and the Bobby Layne Curse continues. Keep on rebuilding Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I guess the Lions agree with that. They're letting Golladay walk. This is looking more like a rebuild [[again) then a revamp [[again).
    That's on Golladay. The Lions offered him 19 mil per, and he turned it down. That was a fair offer, so he didn't want to be here. I agree, build the defense. You can get WR's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Hell, Golladay was a 3rd round pick.

With this years class and their needs, taking a WR would not be a reach at all. This years class is light on elite defensive talent, and with the top of the draft expected to be QB heavy, they could get a playmaker. Plus, I think the best case scenario is that Goff succeeds and we can use our stash of picks down the road to build the roster elsewhere, so drafting a top-tier WR would be an investment towards that goal.

With or without Golliday, Goff, etc., the Lions will always be losers so why pay attention?

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    See ya Kenny. . . ...new GM & HC wise move, very.

Golliday will be gone. Seeking a team that can win playoffs and Super Bowls. Good riddance!

I am ready for another 0-16 season, higher picks the better!

If we had kept Stafford, I would be all for giving Golladay the franchise tag and resigning Jones for a year. That ship has sailed, so not doing either was the right thing.

I'm all in on Zak Wilson. If he's there at #7, and Lions management thinks he's their guy, take him ! If he's not there [[good chance he won't be), or they don't like him, trade the pick to someone who does and get some more draft capital for this pathetic defense. It's a great year for receivers at the top and a bad year for defensive ends & tackles at #7. Even taking a linebacker there is a bit of a stretch.

Trying to sell me the still hidden talents of Jared Davis, and turning him into being a 3 down player isn't impressing me at all.

I would be surprised if we won more than 3 games. If Goff gets hurt early, 0-16 is a real possibility.

The Detroit Lions should be canceled like a bad sitcom.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    The Detroit Lions should be canceled like a bad sitcom.
    The NFL should be cancelled like ......yada, yada,yada. What amazes me is that all these pro sports athletes are still acquiring zillion dollar contracts with no fan base money coming in at all. Are the owner's pockets really that deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    The NFL should be cancelled like ......yada, yada,yada. What amazes me is that all these pro sports athletes are still acquiring zillion dollar contracts with no fan base money coming in at all. Are the owner's pockets really that deep?
    TV money is absolutely huge for the NFL. They don't have to sell a beer or have any fans in the seats. Only 32 NFL teams in the world, if you own an NFL team you are in a very elite group. Ownership of an NFL team almost like a license to print money.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    TV money is absolutely huge for the NFL. They don't have to sell a beer or have any fans in the seats. Only 32 NFL teams in the world, if you own an NFL team you are in a very elite group. Ownership of an NFL team almost like a license to print money.
    Ah, yessss...................
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Excellent.......

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast