Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Were all of the S&C diners of the classic, steel, dining car type? Detroit has none of those left now. It would be great if someone imported one from Jersey and set it up for business near the Wayne State campus!
    S&C on 6 Mile near Sorrento was a corner storefront, building still stands today. As far as I know that was the only S&C still operating when I was going there in the 70's.

Someone was on the thread back a year or so ago talking about writing a Highland Park history, for Arcadia Publishing, but I never heard any more about it

lalynch, out Jersey way and Philly ,there were, and still are a lot of diners. They have a lot of new ones that I have gone to in Jersey while going to the old Ford Plants in the area. Edison/Metuchen ,Mawaw, Landsdale electonics,later built into North Penn for Visteon. All those area had and still do have a lot of diners. Great food in those places.. Too bad the plants are all gone.

I'm trying to place the S&C Diner #10 at 255 W. 9 Mile in Ferndale. The only diner I can remember is the Tip Top.

There is something about little diners and store front resturants that intregues me. I'd like to know, for example, the history of the diner at Woodward and Ferrand Park.

I don't remember one at Farand Park, just the one between Beresford and Winona.I can't picture where the diner would have been at Farand Park as there were full ,tall,apartment buildings at both corners?? Please elaborate if you can

Quote Originally Posted by jgavrile View Post
    lalynch, out Jersey way and Philly ,there were, and still are a lot of diners. They have a lot of new ones that I have gone to in Jersey while going to the old Ford Plants in the area. Edison/Metuchen ,Mawaw, Landsdale electonics,later built into North Penn for Visteon. All those area had and still do have a lot of diners. Great food in those places.. Too bad the plants are all gone.
    I have cousins in Lansdale. My grandparents lived in West Norriton, about 10 or 15 minutes from Lansdale. Although the old name of Jeffersonville was typically what my grandparents referred to their town. In Jeffersonville, there were or are two old diners. Brenvale Diner was a few blocks away. It has been renovated. I have a photo of it prior to the renovation. Then up the road, Ridge Pike, was another diner that I can't think of the name but its named after the township.

On a trip to Ocean City, NJ in 1983 I also visited Wildwood, NJ. I took a photo of the Wildwood Diner. I'll have to scan and post those.

take a ride down route 1 from Newark South to Cape May, you will see a lot of diners

Jgavrile-Rich has not put a dime in the coney island!

Yea, it has not been updated ,that is for sure.. But how much money would you put into that place and expect to increase business to get it back?? Even the police station is not there to give Rich any business anymore.

The diner I'm talking about was a storefront diner in the 11 Ferrand Park apartment building. It was as close as you could get to Ferrand on Woodward, given the landscape strip right on the corner. It wasn't much, but it was a typical booths and counter diner that used to be so common. Mom and I would stop in on occasion for a cup of coffee [[her) and a coke [[me) after visiting Grandma in the apartment house.

The 6521 2nd Ave location was a infamous late night hangout for the gay community in the 50's, into the 60's as it was in close proximity to the Woodward and the 2nd Blvd/Woodward Ave/Grand Blvd area was a prominent gay neighborhood in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    The diner I'm talking about was a storefront diner in the 11 Ferrand Park apartment building. It was as close as you could get to Ferrand on Woodward, given the landscape strip right on the corner. It wasn't much, but it was a typical booths and counter diner that used to be so common. Mom and I would stop in on occasion for a cup of coffee [[her) and a coke [[me) after visiting Grandma in the apartment house.
    Douglasm, could you tell me approximately what year[[s) You and your Mom stopped? I can't for the life of me remember a diner or cafe on the NE corner of Farrand Park and Woodward. I moved out of H.P. in the 60's, so I am assuming it was after that.

There was a hamburger joint named Victor's on the SE corner of Buena Vista and Woodward and during the 50's there was a small store front cafe near the NE corner of McLean and Woodward right next to First Federal Savings and Loan.

Actually, it would have been about that time, or a bit earlier, late 50's or early 60's. A recent photo of the building shows the business boarded up.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Actually, it would have been about that time, or a bit earlier, late 50's or early 60's. A recent photo of the building shows the business boarded up.
    Sorry, I don't mean to bug you but which "late photo? I just happen to be super interested in all things Highland Park.

Thanks for your patience.

Somewhere, I think on old forum, there is a picture that Lowell took of the Farrand Park apartments. It was on the forum concerning old abandoned apartment houses. I'll see if I can find it.

I remember the S&C on W. McNichols. Used to pass it on the way to the library. Parents used to rave about the food. Only can recall being inside once myself. There were quite a variety of eating venues available before the fast food chains triumphed. I remember a small sandwich shop at 13800 W. McNichols and the corner of Lesure, can't recall the name though. Used to be quite busy with the hospial crowd at lunch. Burned down in the mid 70's
    Thanks for sharing the memories.

Gman, My Grandmother's house was the first house north of that corner on Lesure.Originally there was a Connors Beef Buffet at that corner. I don't remember what it became after wards. Back in the 50's and 60's that beef buffet was sure a busy place. Is that the one you are talking about? There was a flower shop next door going West.
    In later years all the homes on Lesure and Stansbury were bought up by the hospital and leveled for a parking lot.
    Lesure was the entrance to the emergency for Mt. Carmel Hospital.

That's the one JGavrile. I couldn't remember the name. Not sure if it was still Conner's in the mid 70's. Food smelled good though. Used to get gas at the Sunoco that was next to Spike Lawrence's. Remember the Biff's diner on the south side of McNichols at Tracey. That was a geasy spoon! Good Milk Shakes though.
    Last edited by GMan; April-09-10 at 01:11 PM.

Sorry for the thread drift btw.

Douglasm, the last I remember the store front on the corner of the 11 Farrand Park apt. was State Senator Karoubs offices.I had many friends on Farrand & McLean and as a child walked by that corner more times than I can count. I don't ever remember a cafe/diner there but then again that seems to be getting a problem with me.

Jman, I will ask Doug Breck's Brother Al,about it, as they lived on Farand. I'll see if he remembers??
    If it was there,it wasn't for long. Places came and went, you know. If they weren't doing good, and the rent was high in that building ,they closed up.

jgavrile, you're right about the places came and went. I'm sure I could have missed it if it was there for only a short time. I was in the service for two years after high school and that could have been the time frame.

Jman....
    .....memory problems? Us? For some reason, I can remember a card shop of Woodward just north of the place of our discussion [[same building), and a toy store in the Highland Towers [[with a Lionel railroad bridge in the window that I wanted so bad), but can't remember Dora's birthday.

I can't even remember Dora. lol

I do however remember the card shop and an eye glass store in F.P. but not the toy store in H.T.. My family doctors office was a storefront in the Highland Towers. Dr. Thompson was also the doctor for the Detroit Lions in the 50' and 60's.

You are losing it Just talked to George, we need to hook up again for b'fast one Sat. morning
    I didn't have a lot to do with those two buildings?? I remember the drug store on Avalon and Woodward , next door was a record shop.
    Across from Barber School was the candy store,John's? then there was the shoe repair ,then Victors.
    I use to buy those duncan Yo-yo's at the candy store or I would get them sometimes from Andy's hat cleaning and shoe shine, on Gerald, as he had a good assortment of candy and junk like yo-yo's and pea shooters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast