Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_fox View Post
    Jman,

From the corner of Beresford and Woodward, you turn left at the first alley, then go one block north and at the corner of the alley and the Davison service road on the east side was the bakery. There were no signs, so you wouldn't know there was a bakery inside this converted garage. My Dad thinks he worked on remodeling this shop around 1952. Hope that helps.
    Thanks Silver_fox,

That would put the bakery in the back of the same building that had a DeSoto/ Plymouth dealership.

I well remember the diner, tucked at an angle onto Woodward. I was raised in Highland Park from about age 2, until I left home, and returned to live there in the 90's for another decade. Yes, I have considered writing a book about growing up in HP, but I have another project on my front burner, a book about my father's record shop on Hastings Street. Anyway, I have written a lot about HP in a Facebook alumni group; here's one of a series, I'll eventually post them on all the blog:
    http://marshamusic.wordpress.com/we-...hland-parkers/

My father had a lot of stories about the city having settled there around 1912. Henry Ford and James Couzens would sometimes come in to his restaurant in the early mornings and have some tea and or some breakfast. Sometimes Walter Chrysler would also come in to get something to eat. A few times they all came in at the same time and sat together and talked. I wish I had some pictures of these occasions. I remember my Dad telling me about the Tyler farm that was on the West side of Woodward between Glendale and Davison. This is where the street Tyler, got named for when the farm was turned into homes.. The little turnaround half circle street off of Glendale, called Mulford Pl. ,was the entrance to the farm.
    Also recalled was that the area North of 6 Mile around Palmer Park, was pretty much impassable during the spring due to the swampy nature of the area. Sometimes you had to go West as far as Livernois to go North of 6 mile and then cut back down to Woodward when you got to Pleasant ridge. I wish I could recall more of it and had asked more question in my youth.[/QUOTE]

This is great history. I always wondered about that horse shoe block on Glendale, it was once so beautiful. I had no idea that it was once an entry to a farm. Your memories show just how much changed - from total farmland to city. Thanks, I hope you share more of your [[and your family's) memories of Highland Park.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Music View Post
    My father had a lot of stories about the city having settled there around 1912. Henry Ford and James Couzens would sometimes come in to his restaurant in the early mornings and have some tea and or some breakfast. Sometimes Walter Chrysler would also come in to get something to eat. A few times they all came in at the same time and sat together and talked. I wish I had some pictures of these occasions. I remember my Dad telling me about the Tyler farm that was on the West side of Woodward between Glendale and Davison. This is where the street Tyler, got named for when the farm was turned into homes.. The little turnaround half circle street off of Glendale, called Mulford Pl. ,was the entrance to the farm.
    Also recalled was that the area North of 6 Mile around Palmer Park, was pretty much impassable during the spring due to the swampy nature of the area. Sometimes you had to go West as far as Livernois to go North of 6 mile and then cut back down to Woodward when you got to Pleasant ridge. I wish I could recall more of it and had asked more question in my youth.
    This is great history. I always wondered about that horse shoe block on Glendale, it was once so beautiful. I had no idea that it was once an entry to a farm. Your memories show just how much changed - from total farmland to city. Thanks, I hope you share more of your [[and your family's) memories of Highland Park.[/QUOTE]

Marsha, I LOVE your stories and the verbal pictures you paint from that time period. Books are books, but there's nothing like hearing it from the source. Thanx.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-26-13 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    This is great history. I always wondered about that horse shoe block on Glendale, it was once so beautiful. I had no idea that it was once an entry to a farm. Your memories show just how much changed - from total farmland to city. Thanks, I hope you share more of your [[and your family's) memories of Highland Park.

Marsha, I LOVE your stories and the verbal pictures you paint from that time period. Books are books, but there's nothing like hearing it from the source. Thanx.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha Music View Post
    Marsha, I LOVE your stories and the verbal pictures you paint from that time period. Books are books, but there's nothing like hearing it from the source. Thanx.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness Honky Tonk - thank you. Detroit is an area that has been was much traumatized - by racial division and other toxins, and that trauma often rests like a pall on all of our interactions. I believe we should tell these stories of our growing up, so that by these truths of our existence we may be healed. I was blessed with growing up in a time of great changes here, and due to various peculiarities of my life and family, I was a witness to perhaps more than usual aspects of Detroit life. I was a keen observer of things even as a child, and have been blessed with good recall and the desire to write. I appreciate your kind words.

Three Highland Park links -

An old text book on HP history -
    http://growingupinhighlandpark.wordpress.com/2013/02/02/a-history-of-highland-park-textbook-part-one/

A blog about growing up in HP, by my facebook HP alumni friend, Mark Booth:
    http://growingupinhighlandpark.wordp...highland-park/

and again, my own blog [[with text added after previous post):
    http://marshamusic.wordpress.com/we-...hland-parkers/

Jman - You are correct - my Dad remembers this dealership.

I am going to attach a picture from 1958 of my Dad wearing his S&C jacket. He is 37 years old in this picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Also recalled was that the area North of 6 Mile around Palmer Park, was pretty much impassable during the spring due to the swampy nature of the area. Sometimes you had to go West as far as Livernois to go North of 6 mile and then cut back down to Woodward when you got to Pleasant ridge. I wish I could recall more of it and had asked more question in my youth.
    Just to clarify, I did not write this great post. But I can't find who did.

Was anybody in the old Highland Park Masonic Temple on Buena Vista? It was commonly used for certain Masonic regional functions like Senior Warden dinners.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_fox View Post
    Jman - You are correct - my Dad remembers this dealership.

I am going to attach a picture from 1958 of my Dad wearing his S&C jacket. He is 37 years old in this picture.
    Silver Fox my father also was a maintenance man for the S & C dinners back in the late 1950's to early 1960's. Maybe your father knew him his name was Pete. He also had a friend that worked there in maintenance and his name was Dominic. My father would take me to work on Saturdays with him and I remember going to the Woodward Dinner, Jeri's and Fox And Hounds. He would also do work at the owners homes and I would go with him on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Not sure about the Highland Park location, I don't remember it. There was an S&C on 6 Mile just west of Sorrento, went out of business about 25 years ago, I heard the owner got into trouble with the IRS. The building still stands, it became a soul food place for a short while. I remember it had very good diner type food, friendly type of a place.
    "In trouble with the IRS" = euphemism for an overpaid political hack abusing his authority by thinking that he is God and wishes to ruin someone else's life, hoping that they will commit suicide

Hi,
    i am Carol, the daughter of Lowell Knapp who used to own the Lowell's S & C Diner on Woodward in Highland Park. Other than article from LIFE, we do not have any other memorobelia. I am attaching a photo of another S&C Diner, but not sure which one it is. It is a pic from his uncle who is in the photo and long ago deceased. You can see the man with the S&C hat in the photo!

Yes, this is the obituary for my dad, Lowell Knapp, who owned the S&C diner in Highland Park. I used to work there back in the early '70's. Wish we had some old momentos......just have the LIFE magazine!

I have a picture of another S&C restaurant that my dad's cousin sent me, but don't know the location. Notice the man with the S&C hat behind the counter. My dad's uncle is the customer looking at camera!!!!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  82.4 KB

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4