Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Literally everything these days is "Breaking News".
    Oh yeah and people saying literally about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Oh yeah and people saying literally about everything.
    That's not nearly as bad as how the word "like" gets abused.

So like people can't string together a complete sentence without using the word "like" a lot, and I am like so over it!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    So like people can't string together a complete sentence without, like, using the word "like" a lot, and I am like so over it!
    An opportunity missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    An opportunity missed.
    You know, I did insert that like when I first typed out the sentence, but then I took it back out.

So far, most of you have listed my pet peeves.

I don't like misspelled words in the newspaper, on TV.
    I don't like the word "like" used as a filler word.
    "Basically" is another word I can't stand.
    I hate it when reporters on all of the Detroit news
    stations can't pronounce the name of a Detroit street.
    I hate it when they call the East Side the West Side.

I know I will think of more, so until then...[[I hate 3 dots after a sentence).

I have a pair of earbuds apparently from a company with a reputation for good design. I won't mention their name because these earbuds are so badly designed that I suspect they're counterfeit.

1) The wires are coated with that grippy, rubberized finish that works so well for handles but wires should be slippery so they don't snag.

2) The buds are symmetric so you can't tell left from right by their shape. Instead, there's a tiny black-on-black "L" and "R" molded into, not the earbud, but a rubber membrane that fits between the ear and the earbud.

Sure enough, the wire snagged on something, popping both earbuds out of my ears. The earbuds flew away in random directions leaving the membranes still stuck in my ears.

There was no easy way to tell which earbud was left and which was right so I had to resort to an audio test. I then wrapped a small wire around one earbud so I could more easily distinguish them in the future.

It's as if they tried to make the design bad. All this could have been avoided at no cost by simply thinking about the design before throwing it out to manufacturing.

Edit: There is also ZERO strain relief between wires and buds guaranteeing failure at that point.
    Last edited by Jimaz; December-28-20 at 11:54 AM.

Waiting for the mail to deliver my prescriptions. Today is day 11.

I'm tired of special moons. We use to hear about various moon phases every once in a blue Moon. Now we have one every month. It's a special Moon, but it's not like there's any competition.

I'm tired of BIGLY. This is not a word. It's an acronym for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You".

I'm tired of hearing about "student loan forgiveness". Unless you're going to forgive my mortgage too, get outta here !

After the Trump era & the pandemic, I have tv evangelicals of every ilk right up there with flat-earthers and moon landing conspiracists. I have lost all respect.

Biggest Detroit pet peeve has to be the trend of motorcyclists and other loud cars driving around downtown. These people are revving their engines and generally seeking attention every. single. night. By far my least favorite thing about living downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    100% this. I remember when "Breaking News" meant there was an important and developing story. Now "Breaking News" just means that a news person is talking about something.

I remember back in the day when WJBK had attention grabbing music for "breaking news". When you heard that sound, you stopped what you were doing and listened. Now I'm numb to "breaking news".

On one of the national news channels they've named when of their opinion programs "Special Report", that drives me nuts too. "Special Report" is supposed to be the next level up from "Breaking News".

^ Yeah too often Breaking News and Special Report is some method of steering you towards some preferred point of view or directive pending! Hah!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-28-20 at 09:39 PM.

Things that are packaged in heavy molded plastic that, damn near takes a bomb to open up.

How about when the weather people stand outside in the rain or snow to tell you it's raining or snowing? Or lean to show you how windy it is while people in the background are standing up straight. Or lean the wrong direction.

Misplaced apostrophes that show neither possession nor abbreviation.

An apostrophe is not used to show plural.

# 1349 -
    When your computer freezes up for a period of time, only to find out it was some friggin' software update that's running in the background
    with NO notice. At least give me a heads up so I can do something else!

Not spelling a word wrong, but using the wrong homophone, as in except instead of accept, or the their, there, they're issue. Or where and wear.

It's Ilitches, not Ilitch's!

Pork is not a verb!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Not spelling a word wrong, but using the wrong homophone, as in except instead of accept, or the their, there, they're issue. Or where and wear.
    Until a few years ago I didn't think it possible to confuse "past" and "passed." Some poor guy made that mistake twice in the same email. <wince>

I just now discovered this rich resource well worth bookmarking: Common Errors in English Usage.

One of the most common mistakes that still makes me wince: breathe [[rhymes with wreath) spelled as breath [[rhymes with death).

But as anyone will tell you who has learned English as a second language, spelling in English makes no sense [[and my example proves it).

It doesn't bother me as much [[so not a peeve), but the use of the subjunctive "were" has been gradually falling by the wayside in American English. Lately I've seen even some noted writers using was instead, incorrectly.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/was-vs-were/

Then again it's because languages keep changing we don't speak Old English anymore.
    Last edited by bust; January-01-21 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It's Ilitches, not Ilitch's!
    They give me an ill itch.

You are right on Bust. The subjunctive case is almost dead in American English.

My neighbor always wrote "next store neighbor" instead of "nextdoor neighbor". Teeth grinding....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Until a few years ago I didn't think it possible to confuse "past" and "passed." Some poor guy made that mistake twice in the same email. <wince>

I just now discovered this rich resource well worth bookmarking: Common Errors in English Usage.

Things can get funny when someone types "Wench" instead of "Wrench".

People peeving.

Then you'd love 'ratchet' instead of retched. As is stated by some!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Things can get funny when someone types "Wench" instead of "Wrench".

'Have' vs. 'has' is starting to get miss-used I've noticed.

Verbally and written, increasingly as standard English is less emphasized.

But what the heck! Who needs English or any other 'conventions'.

Just another oppressive standard to be discarded.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast