Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Where the f-ck do you live? Utopia?
    Insurgentes Sur, in Mexico City

Carroll Gardens, in Brooklyn, NYC

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Ha, ha.

Gee, if I don't think Southfield is a desirable place to live, I must be a right-wing nut! Yeah, that's it! That makes a ton of sense!

So I guess the thousands of Southfield residents fleeing to Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield are all ignorant right-wing racists! Especially the African Americans!
    Dude, I chose those three because they love to create facts off the top of their heads [[Obama's America, FEMA camps, death panels) to scare and confuse clueless people. Sort of like yourself when you are claiming thousands of people are leaving Southfield for WB and FH. In case you didn't hear, there is little thing called a recession that has restricted people from spending money they aren't sure they are going have next week. And what about all the foreclosures in the area?

In closing, this idea of thousands of people leaving Sfld. for a better life in Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield is something I would believed 15 years ago. Maybe five years ago but not right now unless they are hiding money and they are recession-proof.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Dude, I chose those three because they love to create facts off the top of their heads [[Obama's America, FEMA camps, death panels) to scare and confuse clueless people. Sort of like yourself when you are claiming thousands of people are leaving Southfield for WB and FH. In case you didn't hear, there is little thing called a recession that has restricted people from spending money they aren't sure they are going have next week. And what about all the foreclosures in the area?

In closing, this idea of thousands of people leaving Sfld. for a better life in Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield is something I would believed 15 years ago. Maybe five years ago but not right now unless they are hiding money and they are recession-proof.

Not only that, this idiot fails to realize Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield Twp has just as many foreclosures as any other Oakland county community. It's real retarded to think life is so much better 5-10 miles away. Living in those places aren't any better. They have they're share of crime just like anywhere else, it's just not reported as much through the media. I'm willing to bet Southfield is a safer place than Brooklyn and did you say Mexico City??? Hope you don't get caught in the crosshairs of the Drug Cartels down there LOL You need to quit now, you're making yourself look ridiculous.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-21-09 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Not only that, this idiot fails to realize Farmington Hills and West Bloomfield Twp has just as many foreclosures as any other Oakland county community. It's real retarded to think life is so much better 5-10 miles away. Living in those places aren't any better. They have they're share of crime just like anywhere else, it's just not reported as much through the media. I'm willing to bet Southfield is a safer place than Brooklyn and did you say Mexico City??? Hope you don't get caught in the crosshairs of the Drug Cartels down there LOL You need to quit now, you're making yourself look ridiculous.
    Carroll Gardens is right next to a particularly nasty strertch of Brooklyn called Red Hook [[which it was part of until some marketing guy decided to rename it) It is now a wannabe Park Slope or something, but still a bit crusty

Y'uh, I'll play my usual role of Frankenturd and resurrect this one, seeing as I just drove by that place recently. First off, I'm a bit disgusted that folks allow this place [[which was never cool to begin with) to be the central crux of all Southfield stand for. I like Southfield far too much to think like that [[despite that it is "Concrete City"). Southfield and Dearborn are the only two suburbs I personally feel comfortable living in outside of Detroit [[anything else is fine for anyone else, just respect my wishes, I say). I have many memories attached to both, and both have always played important roles in my life.

Regarding that dang trash can of a hotel sitting there. I am glad we have some traveled posters who made the comparison to the decent one in Covington, KY. My personal hate with this one is that my brother got one of his first jobs there in the late '80s as a dishwasher [[and rehired a week later as a busboy). They treated him like garbage! They asked for a heaped up list of impossible tasks that kept him three hours past the time he was supposed to leave, and my dad wasn't too glad having to pick him up a few nights at 1:30 in the morning. All that for chump change. It was poorly managed and filthy back then.

Many of these hotels are like that though. I answered an advert back in the early '90s for "shuttle bus driver" for a hotel, and the family folks running it were sociopathic in their attitude. After the interview, where it was established I'd be a shuttle bus driver [[they seemed to not care that I had no chauffeur license), they took me on a tour where they kept adding more tasks: I'd have to clean rooms, clean the halls, clean the showers and bathrooms, run and provide linens and services to the guests staying there, learn some maintenance skills to fix plumbing issues, etc. My head was spinning. By the time I'm sweeping the outside parking lot, I came to my senses, walked in and asked what I'm being paid, and they said "minimum", and I said "Bye! You don't pay me enough to do all that." Typical of so many scam-high-turnout jobs I seem to land all the time, because they smell the desperate [[plus I don't belong to any privileged brotherhoods-no matter one may say, you can be blacklisted for disenfranchisement and shunning).
    Last edited by G-DDT; February-21-15 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Y'uh, I'll play my usual role of Frankenturd and resurrect this one, seeing as I just drove by that place recently. First off, I'm a bit disgusted that folks allow this place [[which was never cool to begin with) to be the central crux of all Southfield stand for. I like Southfield far too much to think like that [[despite that it is "Concrete City"). Southfield and Dearborn are the only two suburbs I personally feel comfortable living in outside of Detroit [[anything else is fine for anyone else, just respect my wishes, I say). I have many memories attached to both, and both have always played important roles in my life.

Regarding that dang trash can of a hotel sitting there. I am glad we have some traveled posters who made the comparison to the decent one in Covington, KY. My personal hate with this one is that my brother got one of his first jobs there in the late '80s as a dishwasher [[and rehired a week later as a busboy). They treated him like garbage! They asked for a heaped up list of impossible tasks that kept him three hours past the time he was supposed to leave, and my dad wasn't too glad having to pick him up a few nights at 1:30 in the morning. All that for chump change. It was poorly managed and filthy back then.

Many of these hotels are like that though. I answered an advert back in the early '90s for "shuttle bus driver" for a hotel, and the family folks running it were sociopathic in their attitude. After the interview, where it was established I'd be a shuttle bus driver [[they seemed to not care that I had no chauffeur license), they took me on a tour where they kept adding more tasks: I'd have to clean rooms, clean the halls, clean the showers and bathrooms, run and provide linens and services to the guests staying there, learn some maintenance skills to fix plumbing issues, etc. My head was spinning. By the time I'm sweeping the outside parking lot, I came to my senses, walked in and asked what I'm being paid, and they said "minimum", and I said "Bye! You don't pay me enough to do all that." Typical of so many scam-high-turnout jobs I seem to land all the time, because they smell the desperate [[plus I don't belong to any privileged brotherhoods-no matter one may say, you can be blacklisted for disenfranchisement and shunning).

But-but-but, working for "mom and pop" was paradise which has been stolen by eeeeeeevullllll corporations like Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    But-but-but, working for "mom and pop" was paradise which has been stolen by eeeeeeevullllll corporations like Walmart.
    Catch 22. I just won't do "under the table" ever again. I've been burned far too many times.

Being corporate has it's pains [[especially if you are working low-level positions for any of the couple dozen main companies out there that pay horribly with little hope of advancement) and hideously regimented nonsense, but at least it's a situation that can't be denied or brushed under the rug by a boss trying to scam. Like a character in a Hitchcock film disrupting an auction, I like my professional activities clear in the open with plenty of witnesses. However, just recently, I've had two "over the table" positions with notable chains where I was treated like garbage and then denied my last paycheck. In the first, I was lucky to get a pro bono Harvard lawyer to intervene on my behalf [[thank you much). For the most recent, I'm going to Department of Labor regarding this company that has a lot of nationwide complaints against it.

Since becoming Christian, I've knocked my buttocks into the gutter for jobs that treat me like some pariah schmegmoid. Anyone who says "a job's a job" has never been hired to be a "hard bastard" by mafias to amputate limbs off of their enemies. There are bad jobs out there [[Hmmm...sounds like a thread there). The documentary "Fired!" [[2007) had a lot of interesting things to say about that. I felt bad for one homeless born-again kid in Louisville working at a rendering plant, where he had to wear a haz-mat suit, climb into a big vat, and hose off gore and dead animal crud stuck to the walls with hardcore solvents [[despite having a respirator, he was coming back every night to our dorm program hacking up his lungs, saying his eyes burned a lot).

No, I won't quit working, but you can't pay me enough to take abuse-not after all I've been through.

I'm a latecomer to this Party, it seems. I Live in Southfield, in the 12 mile/inkster area. I remember when my late parents took me to the restaurant in that Hotel for my Levey Junior High School Graduation-back in 1975. A rotating restaurant, like the RenCen, except THEIR restaurant [[now the Coach Insignia) doesn't rotate anymore, Either-lol. That Building is a landmark for turning on to Franklin Road on the way North from the airport. Sad that it's abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by drpoundsign View Post
    I'm a latecomer to this Party, it seems. I Live in Southfield, in the 12 mile/inkster area. I remember when my late parents took me to the restaurant in that Hotel for my Levey Junior High School Graduation-back in 1975. A rotating restaurant, like the RenCen, except THEIR restaurant [[now the Coach Insignia) doesn't rotate anymore, Either-lol. That Building is a landmark for turning on to Franklin Road on the way North from the airport. Sad that it's abandoned.
    Don't think it is, pretty sure they're renovating it.

I cruised thru there in early June [[I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I worked there late 90s-early 00s). Saw no signs of real renovation. In fact the back areas look terrible. Peeped through the atrium windows and it looked like the pool had been covered up to create a makeshift stage for church services.

Good luck to whomever wants to throw buckets of cash at that. It was in terrible disrepair and attracted an awful clientele 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ConantNHolbrook View Post
    I cruised thru there in early June [[I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that I worked there late 90s-early 00s). Saw no signs of real renovation. In fact the back areas look terrible. Peeped through the atrium windows and it looked like the pool had been covered up to create a makeshift stage for church services.

Good luck to whomever wants to throw buckets of cash at that. It was in terrible disrepair and attracted an awful clientele 15 years ago.
    The bolded is really surprising, given how money was essentially growing on trees during that period [[thus I'm sure the capital and demand was there for the badly needed renovation).

There's probably no hope for it at this point.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-14-16 at 08:28 AM.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/busin...vated-reopened

I know this was already posted, however I believe the investors received help from the city. Guess someone could inquire on the current status...

"Most of the renovations should be completed in two years. For more information on the project, contact Southfield Business Development at 248-796-4160."

drpoundsign, I too am a graduate from levy [[1976) I used to ride my dirt bike at Browns hills. If we don't know each other, I'm sure we have friends in common.

I was driving by there today on my way to lunch at the coney. They're absolutely working on that place, bringing in loads of drywall and other building materials.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5