Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Vegas has 643,000 and Henderson has 341,000. If you're talking Greater Las Vegas, it's 2.7mill. But Greater Detroit is 4.275 mill, sooooo....
    Hey, I'm not knocking Michigan or greater Detroit. Had good years there. And if you like mountains in Detroit, there's always Mt. Elliott, isn't there?

Not to mention Mound
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Hey, I'm not knocking Michigan or greater Detroit. Had good years there. And if you like mountains in Detroit, there's always Mt. Elliott, isn't there?

And don't forget the hills of Farmington Hills ---- !

...if you like mountains in Detroit, there's always Mt. Elliott, isn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    And don't forget the hills of Farmington Hills ---- !

Bloomfield Hills, Irish Hills, Garbage Hill, Mt. Holly, Mt. Trashmore, so many choices!
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; July-19-21 at 01:07 AM.

^^^ And where exactly is that line running thru Centerline, MI?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ And where exactly is that line running thru Centerline, MI?

Through the center. [duh! :]

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Sure, that would undoubtedly help. But can you imagine the cost of putting roundabouts at every major intersection in the city and suburbs? Not very cost efficient.
    It need be tried only on a few key intersections to test the results and it would eliminate the cost of maintaining the multiple traffic signals.

Here's a counterintuitive traffic riddle.

The Spring Paradox
    This spring paradox is actually an analogy for Braess's Paradox which is about traffic. The surprising behaviour of the springs when the blue rope is cut is just like how journey times can actually go down when you close a major road, even with the same number of journeys being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Here's a counterintuitive traffic riddle.

Thanks a bunch. Now I have a headache from trying to follow that.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    They're called rotaries in Massachusetts. It's a whole new ball game out there. I drove them 30 years ago and it was hell. My daughter lives in Boston and I leave the driving to her or my husband. It's every man for himself.
    Aye! First roundabout I stumbled across was during my 1987 trip to Boston. I don't remember how many times I went in a circle until I was able to escape that insanity. I thought for sure I was gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Not to mention Mound
    And don't forget Derby Hill, which was on Mound.

A few of us once scaled the fence and skateboarded down that hill. I think beer was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Aye! First roundabout I stumbled across was during my 1987 trip to Boston. I don't remember how many times I went in a circle until I was able to escape that insanity. I thought for sure I was gonna die.
    LOL....I get it!

Boston. Sheesh. What was that song about the Boston MTA where "he never returned, no, he never returned, and his fate is still unknown. He rides forever 'neath the streets of Boston, and he never returned."

Boston. Sheesh. What was that song about the Boston MTA where "he never returned, no, he never returned, and his fate is still unknown. He rides forever 'neath the streets of Boston, and he never returned."

The Kingston Trio - M.T.A.
    "M.T.A.", often called "The MTA Song", is a 1949 song by Jacqueline Steiner and Bess Lomax Hawes. Known informally as "Charlie on the MTA", the song's lyrics tell of a man named Charlie trapped on Boston's subway system, then known as the Metropolitan Transit Authority [[MTA). The song was originally recorded as a mayoral campaign song for Progressive Party candidate Walter A. O'Brien. A version of the song with the candidate's name changed became a 1959 hit when recorded and released by the Kingston Trio, an American folk group.

The song has become so entrenched in Boston lore that the Boston-area transit authority named its electronic card-based fare collection system the "CharlieCard" as a tribute to this song. The transit organization, now called the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority [[MBTA), held a dedication ceremony for the card system in 2004 which featured a performance of the song by the Kingston Trio and then-governor Mitt Romney.
    Last edited by Jimaz; July-31-21 at 08:22 PM.

Yep, because they raised fair on the MTA by a nickel

Thank you for that video. I love that song

Spot on! lol

Have you ever driven in Boston Ray? Right near the top of my shit list alongside Baltimore & NYC. Boston ranks 1st I think.

... Have you ever driven in Boston Ray?...
    I had to take a cab to M.I.T. there once. I was so happy not to have to drive. It was like a big game of bumper cars. The collision shops must make a ton of money there. Everyone there seemed to think it was normal though.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    And don't forget Derby Hill, which was on Mound.

A few of us once scaled the fence and skateboarded down that hill. I think beer was involved.
    If you lived around the 6 Mile & Davison area then you might remember Soap Box Derby Hill

The first Detroit News Soap Box Derby was run in 1935 in Rouge Park. In 1956, the Detroit Derby was moved to a new track on Derby Hill on Outer Drive west of Mound Road.

By 1974, the number of entrants in the Detroit derby had dropped to 30, compared to 526 in the 1956 championship and the contest soon came to an end at Derby Hill. The days of working in the garage with your dad nailing some old baby carriage wheels to a scrap wooden soap box are gone forever but the hill is still there.

Name:  18157006_1533784696654377_7073370814203333758_n.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  61.6 KB

As kids, we wanted to participate in the Derby [1960's). None of had the time or the money for it because of the rules and specification for the cars.

Have you ever driven in Boston Ray? Right near the top of my shit list alongside Baltimore & NYC. Boston ranks 1st I think.
    Have to admit that I have never been to Boston, but I have friends from that area who visit often and share their tales of woe. I think waiting for a second traffic light here in Las Vegas is horrid, while my pal says "Wow! Through on the second light! I love it! "

Quote Originally Posted by 13606Cedargrove View Post
    As kids, we wanted to participate in the Derby [1960's). None of had the time or the money for it because of the rules and specification for the cars.
    Name:  mine [[2).jpg
Views: 654
Size:  140.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Name:  mine [[2).jpg
Views: 654
Size:  140.1 KB
    Exactly!

Spot on! lol

We were in Boston in early July. Really had no problem getting around the city streets. Encountered only one roundabout...it was a bit problematic, but only had to make one extra loop around. Maybe it was due to COVID times, and it was a holiday week, but the traffic was not bad! I've seen far worse in NYC and Chicago and even Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    If you lived around the 6 Mile & Davison area then you might remember Soap Box Derby Hill

The first Detroit News Soap Box Derby was run in 1935 in Rouge Park. In 1956, the Detroit Derby was moved to a new track on Derby Hill on Outer Drive west of Mound Road.

By 1974, the number of entrants in the Detroit derby had dropped to 30, compared to 526 in the 1956 championship and the contest soon came to an end at Derby Hill. The days of working in the garage with your dad nailing some old baby carriage wheels to a scrap wooden soap box are gone forever but the hill is still there.

Name:  18157006_1533784696654377_7073370814203333758_n.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  61.6 KB

Gee, these threads mutate faster than Covid. Somehow the subject of "Roundabouts" has morphed into one about soap box derby cars.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast