Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: Roundabouts

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    If you lived around the 6 Mile & Davison area then you might remember Soap Box Derby Hill

The first Detroit News Soap Box Derby was run in 1935 in Rouge Park. In 1956, the Detroit Derby was moved to a new track on Derby Hill on Outer Drive west of Mound Road.

By 1974, the number of entrants in the Detroit derby had dropped to 30, compared to 526 in the 1956 championship and the contest soon came to an end at Derby Hill. The days of working in the garage with your dad nailing some old baby carriage wheels to a scrap wooden soap box are gone forever but the hill is still there.

Name:  18157006_1533784696654377_7073370814203333758_n.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  61.6 KB

Gee, these threads mutate faster than Covid. Somehow the subject of "Roundabouts" has morphed into one about soap box derby cars.

I just drove around a new roundabout at Gratiot and Palm road. [[between Marysville and Richmond). Glad to see traffic engineers taking advantage of these.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    I just drove around a new roundabout at Gratiot and Palm road. [[between Marysville and Richmond). Glad to see traffic engineers taking advantage of these.
    In the 50's my father took Gratiot from Detroit to Palms Rd when we went to visit my grandparents who lived in a town called Smith's Creek. I remember Palms Road was gravel back then. Is it paved now?