Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    The plan places the pedestrian crossings well before for traffic circle giving drivers ample opportunity to assess the situation. The islands provide a break that allows a rest for those who need it before continuing across. As it stands the elderly must scramble to traverse the intersection in a single signal.

Attachment 41546

An elongated crosswalk with a rest area, brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Wow......you're a meanie!
    More likely [s]he is from Boston. They're called "rotaries" there, and they are complete anarchy, at least they were years ago when I drove through them.

Has anyone driven on the Roundabout in Swindon U.K.? It is most inyeresting!

Swindon's Magic, an Insane 6-Circle Roundabout [[dangerousroads.org)

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think they're ideal for intersections that aren't very busy and so Detroit would have a lot of suitable locations. I've also driven in them in heavy traffic in Florida and Cape Cod and found them a nightmare to merge into, probably because I'm just not used to them.
    In New Jersey when I was younger we called them traffic circles, and they were placed in all sorts of high-traffic intersections [[think of a hypothetical intersection between Telegraph and Woodward and you get the idea). These all were nightmares to merge into and to leave, and have pretty much all been cut through or turned into freeway-type interchanges.

The ones around here I'm most familiar with [[along 14-Mile and Maple in West Bloomfield) work pretty well because they're the intersections of two-lane roads and not major highways. They do save time, especially if you're making the equivalent of a left turn.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    As time goes on and more traffic circles get added to Michigan roads, people will grow up learning to drive on them. Currently most people over the age of 40 that drive here didn't learn to drive on them.
    Which means that, having grown up in New Jersey in the 60s and learning to drive in the early 70s, with tons of circles, I have the advantage. The circles around here are super easy compared with one at the intersection of two three-lane state highways and a fairly major county road.

^^

I remember all the "Jug Handles" in New Jersey for making left turns.

https://bestofnj.com/features/entert...ry-jughandles/

Not sure what it's called but, we were driving on Big Beaver and next thing you know, the lanes shifts and we were facing cars coming off of 75 and traffic opposite of Big Beaver. After the light turned green, we shifted back going on to BB. Glad I wasn't driving.

Quote Originally Posted by 5939DT View Post
    More likely [s]he is from Boston. They're called "rotaries" there, and they are complete anarchy, at least they were years ago when I drove through them.
    My daughter has lived in Boston for 3 years. I drove them 30 years ago. It's still the same. It's every man for himself. I leave the driving to her or my husband. I won't drive them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    My daughter has lived in Boston for 3 years. I drove them 30 years ago. It's still the same. It's every man for himself. I leave the driving to her or my husband. I won't drive them now.

The first roundabout I ever encountered in my life was in Boston, somewhere in the mid 80s, early in the morning, during rush hour traffic. We must have gone around it a dozen times trying to get over to make a right turn. Turn signal on, MI plates, no one cared. I haven't complained about MI drivers since.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The first roundabout I ever encountered in my life was in Boston, somewhere in the mid 80s, early in the morning, during rush hour traffic. We must have gone around it a dozen times trying to get over to make a right turn. Turn signal on, MI plates, no one cared. I haven't complained about MI drivers since.
    Hahaha.... and the Bostonians are a tough group. They will lay on their horn and flip you off making it worse for us out-of-towners trying to navagate thru it. If I could upload the video we took 30 years ago {girls road trip}, driving thru one of them, I would. Funny and scary at the same time.
    Last edited by Maof; July-12-21 at 08:41 AM.

I wonder if they would also help with the dragster / donuts problem that seems to be a big problem on Detroit's wide avenues. There must be dozens of intersections on the big radials that would benefit from this type of traffic calming.

I wonder if they would also help with the dragster / donuts problem that seems to be a big problem on Detroit's wide avenues. There must be dozens of intersections on the big radials that would benefit from this type of traffic calming.

Sure, that would undoubtedly help. But can you imagine the cost of putting roundabouts at every major intersection in the city and suburbs? Not very cost efficient.

That's the newest trend in "traffic safety"; the "diverging diamond". There is now one on 14 and I75 and soon will be on 12 and I75 as well as the one you mentioned on Big Beaver. Touted to be bigger, better safer than the OLD roundabout style. These things get touted like laundry detergent now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Not sure what it's called but, we were driving on Big Beaver and next thing you know, the lanes shifts and we were facing cars coming off of 75 and traffic opposite of Big Beaver. After the light turned green, we shifted back going on to BB. Glad I wasn't driving.

FWIW, no roundabouts here in Las Vegas. Traffic moves pretty well without them, in my 37 years of being here says.

That's the newest trend in "traffic safety"; the "diverging diamond". There is now one on 14 and I75 and soon will be on 12 and I75 as well as the one you mentioned on Big Beaver. Touted to be bigger, better safer than the OLD roundabout style. These things get touted like laundry detergent now...
    It really caught us off guard. I'm glad I don't venture out that way too often.

That's because no one lives out there, Ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    FWIW, no roundabouts here in Las Vegas. Traffic moves pretty well without them, in my 37 years of being here says.

They might block some drag racing strips, but they'd also be perfect for "drifting" and sliding sideways around the turn while taking up more than one lane... I can see it now

Roundabouts are counterintuitive to a lot of people because we are used to giving right of way to the right at a 4-way-stop but in a roundabout you give right of way to the car to your left.

Originally Posted by jcole

Current population is 2.5 million. How many in Detroit?????

Roundabouts work if everyone knows the rules and follows them but problem is, everybody doesn’t. When I’m riding my motorcycle, I avoid roundabouts because my motorcycle and I are both vintage and irreplaceable.
    Last edited by Pat001; July-18-21 at 06:04 AM.

Michigan has a population of 10 Million; Nevada is 3.1 Million.. the whole state lives in Vegas and Reno
    Originally Posted by jcole

Current population is 2.5 million. How many in Detroit?????

Michigan has a population of 10 Million; Nevada is 3.1 Million.. the whole state lives in Vegas and Reno

Yeah, and we pay more taxes than Nevada. You tell 'em!

I don't live in either Las Vegas or Reno. But not to split hairs. And, yeah, taxes are a plus. No state income tax for starters. Very little cold air, also, except that coming from my A/C.

Vegas has 643,000 and Henderson has 341,000. If you're talking Greater Las Vegas, it's 2.7mill. But Greater Detroit is 4.275 mill, sooooo....
    I don't live in either Las Vegas or Reno. But not to split hairs. And, yeah, taxes are a plus. No state income tax for starters. Very little cold air, also, except that coming from my A/C.
    Last edited by jcole; July-18-21 at 12:35 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast