Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What do either of those posts have to do with televised fireworks in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What do either of those posts have to do with televised fireworks in Detroit?

Please read the post I responded to first. Thank You.

3. Default

Hey televising worked for faking the moon landings and who knew the difference? Why not for the fireworks?

Sorry I couldn’t resist.

Any updates on how this is going to happen? Ya think they will really shoot off fireworks on the river or just show some fireworks on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post
    Any updates on how this is going to happen? Ya think they will really shoot off fireworks on the river or just show some fireworks on TV?
    Whatever happens it will surely be the nation's biggest virtual fireworks show, if for no other reason than no other place would be dumb enough to do it. If fireworks actually go off and no one is there to see them, are they virtual?

Do you think that the City of Detroit and Ford are going to demand that people put up blackout curtains if they live in Windsor or Downtown Detroit. Or anywhere within a couple miles of downtown? Of course people are going to be able to watch them from their homes and yards. And hear the big booms; it's just not going to be a crowd that is sanctioned or welcomed into the downtown area. Or possibly by then they will be able to have them, although I don't think it would be too easy to control a fireworks crowd if we're still under social distance rules by then

Sometimes real life is stranger than fiction.

"The fireworks display, normally a summer tradition in Detroit, will be a pop-up display, at an undisclosed location, that will not be announced in advance. It will not be held downtown or viewable from the downtown area."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/3377258001/

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Sometimes real life is stranger than fiction.

"The fireworks display, normally a summer tradition in Detroit, will be a pop-up display, at an undisclosed location, that will not be announced in advance. It will not be held downtown or viewable from the down town area."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...on/3377258001/
    Still think it would make more sense to show the highlights of past shows and spend the money on front line workers if you really want to show appreciation for them.

If you really wanted to know where it was going to be, find out where a permit has been filed for a fireworks display.

Also, since it's supposedly a joint Independence Day/Canada Day celebration... will they be viewable from Canada?

This is 2020
    WOW

Maybe Space Force took them to the moon and we need to all look up...

Quote Originally Posted by webband1 View Post
    If you really wanted to know where it was going to be, find out where a permit has been filed for a fireworks display.

Also, since it's supposedly a joint Independence Day/Canada Day celebration... will they be viewable from Canada?

Because of Covid-19, the fireworks will be shown 14 days later in Canada.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-17-20 at 08:38 PM.

will they go bad if they're not set off? Why not just hold them til 2021?
    I agree that if a TV show is needed, just run highlights of the years when they were shot off on the river - even go back to when there were barges on both the east and west sides. I just don't get it at all.

Maybe they're reverting to the middle ages when they set off cannons during plagues to shake up the atmosphere...

Top of the MCS?

Fairgrounds? City Airport?

Zug Island? Opps not Detroit

Inside the Packard Plant?

Oooo I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Because of Covid-19, the fireworks will be shown 14 days later in Canada.

Big Gretch probably had a hand in this decision

My guess for a location would be quite a bit further from Detroit. Maybe the South end of Harsen's Island [[Or even in the Thumb portion of Lake Huron or Saginaw Bay. It has to be somewhere over water that offers good filming opportunities and where boat traffic can be temporarily limited.

Honestly, who cares? I'm looking forward to this about as much as a trip to the dentist. I just hope Mike isn't spending my tax dollars on this.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-19-20 at 12:50 AM.

Great spot would be off the end of Grosse Ile or up at the Fort Gratiot Light north of the Blue Water Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    My guess for a location would be quite a bit further from Detroit. Maybe the South end of Harsen's Island [[Or even in the Thumb portion of Lake Huron or Saginaw Bay. It has to be somewhere over water that offers good filming opportunities and where boat traffic can be temporarily limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Reminds us of the pandemic of 1918. Philadelphia, after their number of cases were way down, decided to have a parade. 200,000 people jammed the streets. Within days cases spiked and the hospitals became overloaded. If we don’t learn from the mistakes of the past we are bound to repeat them.
    That was a REAL pandemic. Different.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    will they go bad if they're not set off? Why not just hold them til 2021?
    I agree that if a TV show is needed, just run highlights of the years when they were shot off on the river - even go back to when there were barges on both the east and west sides. I just don't get it at all.
    As far as that stuff going bad, if that big stuff is anything like the 30 year old Black Cats I set off this year the answer is no. I’m not at all into fireworks on TV but I’m always up for blowing up some shit in my backyard.

Duggan has said they will be 20 miles from Detroit. From Hart Plaza? From 8 mile road?

Just for fun, leave your guess on this thread, and the closest one wins an accolade from Ray1936 !

My guess will be Stoney Creek Metro Park - the high point around here, and it has a pay wall.
    Last edited by Bigb23; August-27-20 at 10:22 AM.

Maybe they'll just show some file footage of fireworks from rural areas out of state and nobody will know the difference.

Are we sure the mayor's not bluffing and it's not going to be downtown? They are closing Belle Isle to the general public on Monday. DYC members have been told they need a special pass to get to the club on Monday.

[[I know the closing is supposed to be for the Covid memorial.)

Are we sure it's not going to be all computer generated graphics on TV?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast