Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Even if they "close" them, you will have people that live in or near the city able to watch and on the other side of the river. You will also have people driving down as close as they can get to see them . What I'm saying is they are televised every year anyway and I'm willing to bet more people watch them on TV than go downtown to see them live. And they earn revenue on those televised fireworks and singing competitions.
    The point is, if you really don't want people seeing them live, then don't shoot them off. As others have stated, nobody would know the difference if they just did a highlight package from previous years for tv. Actually the would know because by definition a highlights show would be better than normal. Meanwhile a cash-strapped city would save money on policing.

I don't think it's a matter of "not wanting" people to see them live; it's a matter of keeping crowds from forming. I don't think Ford OR the city of Detroit is going to make people put up black out curtains if they can see them from their yards or porches. I also think this is largely for planning and so they can get the fireworks they want from whatever company it is that sells them and to get a date with the fireworks people in case they ARE allowed to have them in the usual fashion
    Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The point is, if you really don't want people seeing them live, then don't shoot them off. As others have stated, nobody would know the difference if they just did a highlight package from previous years for tv. Actually the would know because by definition a highlights show would be better than normal. Meanwhile a cash-strapped city would save money on policing.