Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Time to for all the fans to "take a knee" and tell the NFL to go jump into Lake Erie. [[Wait.....I don't want to contaminate Ohio.....jump into Lake Ontario instead.)

Same ole Lions! They let Drew Brees get away. The All American Super Bowl QB.

Blame the lousy defense!

Lions 29
    Saints 35

The Saints were marching in.

1-3

Four down twelve to go. Get rid of Stafford. He's is bad luck.

Go Saints! my team!

Go rest Lions. You all have two weeks to shape up or ship out.

It's funny seeing people re-write history on Caldwell. Yes, he had moderate success and yes, his replacement is godawful, but I still think getting rid of him was the right move. Look at back in the 90's when the Red Wings replaced Bryan Murray as head coach. Look at the mid-2000's when the Pistons fired Rick Carlisle after back-to-back 50-win seasons. Nobody would argue that getting rid of those two was the wrong move even though they'd had winning records. Because of course those moves were followed with the 'right' moves of hiring, respectively, Scotty Bowman and Larry Brown.

Caldwell was never going to get the Lions to the Super Bowl. They had their best chance under him in 2014. Yes, the ref picked up the flag and that screwed them over, but they still should have won that game, and probably at least one more after that. That team was stacked on both sides of the ball. He was a good coach, but not a great one. If they'd have kept him, yes we probably would have won more games the past two seasons, but fans would still be just as frustrated with him by now as they were when he was let go.

If I had to go back and wonder "What could have been?" with a former coach, it wouldn't be Caldwell. It would be Jim Schwartz. From a strategy and execution perspective, he was [[in my opinion) much better than Caldwell. He actually made adjustments at halftime. He wasn't afraid to attack and take chances, something that Caldwell was reluctant to do and that Patricia is just too clueless to bother with. Schwartz's downfall was that he couldn't keep his cool, which ultimately led to the team lacking discipline.
    Last edited by sirrealone; October-06-20 at 07:38 AM.

Matty Patty better stop making so many excuses during the press conferences say "We have to do better. We have to do better!" Start coaching. Turn those Pop Warner kids into Pro football players. Or find yourself coaching a Pop Warner Youth Football team.
    Last edited by Danny; October-08-20 at 02:40 PM.

The Lions management allow this despicable behavior to poison the game, they lost me as a fan.

Name:  lions [[2).jpg
Views: 733
Size:  205.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    It's funny seeing people re-write history on Caldwell. Yes, he had moderate success and yes, his replacement is godawful, but I still think getting rid of him was the right move. Look at back in the 90's when the Red Wings replaced Bryan Murray as head coach. Look at the mid-2000's when the Pistons fired Rick Carlisle after back-to-back 50-win seasons. Nobody would argue that getting rid of those two was the wrong move even though they'd had winning records. Because of course those moves were followed with the 'right' moves of hiring, respectively, Scotty Bowman and Larry Brown.

Caldwell was never going to get the Lions to the Super Bowl. They had their best chance under him in 2014. Yes, the ref picked up the flag and that screwed them over, but they still should have won that game, and probably at least one more after that. That team was stacked on both sides of the ball. He was a good coach, but not a great one. If they'd have kept him, yes we probably would have won more games the past two seasons, but fans would still be just as frustrated with him by now as they were when he was let go.

If I had to go back and wonder "What could have been?" with a former coach, it wouldn't be Caldwell. It would be Jim Schwartz. From a strategy and execution perspective, he was [[in my opinion) much better than Caldwell. He actually made adjustments at halftime. He wasn't afraid to attack and take chances, something that Caldwell was reluctant to do and that Patricia is just too clueless to bother with. Schwartz's downfall was that he couldn't keep his cool, which ultimately led to the team lacking discipline.
    You make some good points and I see your side of things but I'd almost rather have "mediocrity" with a Caldwell type than endless losing. 9-7 and a playoff loss every year is fine by me. The lions will probably never win another SB. They need the right QB to do that and Stafford isn't it. He's average at best. Has a good arm but not a good football IQ. Their defense continues to be their Achilles heel though. Blame Stafford and the offense, sure. They can be really middling but the way the D can't stop teams and give up touchdown after touchdown is ridiculous. The lions aren't safe with ANY leads as long as they have the kind of D that they do

Did anyone notice how "washed-up" 41-year-old Drew Brees was according to the phony Detroit news media, beat writers, & radio microphone monkeys?

The lions will probably never win another SB.

Tell me when they won their first?

It would be Jim Schwartz. From a strategy and execution perspective, he was [[in my opinion) much better than Caldwell.

His 29-51 record in his 5 year tenure, says otherwise....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post

Tell me when they won their first?
    Touché

Y'know.....just for the sake of starting an argument [[), I'd like to submit that 90 percent of today's pro athletes would be lucky to have a job at Walmart were it not for their athletic ability. Fire away.

DPD still only requires a high school diploma Ray. Do they have to work in the hardware department at that Walmart before hiring in?

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    DPD still only requires a high school diploma Ray. Do they have to work in the hardware department at that Walmart before hiring in?
    Any department except ladies clothing. Unless she's female, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post

His 29-51 record in his 5 year tenure, says otherwise....
    That's not really fair. That team was almost devoid of any talent when he started. They went 2-14 his first year and started 2-10 his second year. Then it started to click, and he went 25-27 after that. Not great, of course, but I still think he would have done even better and stayed longer had he been better at the discipline aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Y'know.....just for the sake of starting an argument [[), I'd like to submit that 90 percent of today's pro athletes would be lucky to have a job at Walmart were it not for their athletic ability. Fire away.

Right-on Ray. . . .majority would not pass the routine drug test, background check, or social media review. No interview required/pass.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    That's not really fair. That team was almost devoid of any talent when he started. They went 2-14 his first year and started 2-10 his second year. Then it started to click, and he went 25-27 after that. Not great, of course, but I still think he would have done even better and stayed longer had he been better at the discipline aspect.
    We agree, to disagree. Gym Shorts, Patricia, Dan Quinn, and even Caldwell, are probably better off serving as offensive and defensive coordinators.

Well, the lions won this week

Quote Originally Posted by Dmberko11 View Post
    Well, the lions won this week
    They only beat the Cardinals! By a dumb luck FG kicker!

I know that the Lions season isn’t going anywhere but I think the game against the Jags this weekend puts the season at a crossroads. The Jaguars are patently horrible, if the Lions can’t win this one, I don’t know what to think. The remainder of there schedule is not difficult, they should be able to squeeze out a few wins. As far as tanking for a better draft pick, I’m tired of that notion, sure hasn’t worked out so far.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I know that the Lions season isn’t going anywhere but I think the game against the Jags this weekend puts the season at a crossroads. The Jaguars are patently horrible, if the Lions can’t win this one, I don’t know what to think. The remainder of there schedule is not difficult, they should be able to squeeze out a few wins. As far as tanking for a better draft pick, I’m tired of that notion, sure hasn’t worked out so far.
    The Lions are 1-3 and once again a terrible team. How can a game against another terrible team put them at any kind of crossroads? To see if they can salvage a 6-10 season?

Has anyone noticed how well my Las Vegas Raiders are doing? Oh....wait.....this is a Detroit site.......Lowell is sure to boot me now......

No surprise here: "Through four games, Stafford ranks 29th among qualifying passers in competition percentage, 18th in yards per game and 18th in interception rate".

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    They only beat the Cardinals! By a dumb luck FG kicker!
    And if it weren't for all the turnovers that game they wouldn't have even been in position to win with a FG! They're bad. Cardinals should be EMBARRASSED. They're ALSO a perennially dismal franchise like the lions but ain't nobody got anything on Detroit's record of suck. I've lived in a bunch of different states but born and raised in metro Detroit so it's lions until I die. I'm not a band waggoner. Doesn't work like that. Only thing they have going for them is the Honolulu blue! Nice uniforms 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    No surprise here: "Through four games, Stafford ranks 29th among qualifying passers in competition percentage, 18th in yards per game and 18th in interception rate".
    "competition" percentage. Freudian slip?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The Lions are 1-3 and once again a terrible team. How can a game against another terrible team put them at any kind of crossroads? To see if they can salvage a 6-10 season?
    I think its a crossroads game in that you can discover if this team can compete with anybody in this league. If they cant completely run over the Jags [[bottom of the barrel) this week, then win some of their remaining games then maybe this thing should be totally blown up.

I think it should be an interesting game, I'll be watching it.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast