NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Name:  93631241_1340585552818207_2158654149267292160_n.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  27.5 KB

Name:  92386784_248105693035730_5135213497830866944_n.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  78.7 KB

I'll never forget the smell of that K-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    Name:  92386784_248105693035730_5135213497830866944_n.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  78.7 KB
    You can tell by the lack of leaves on the trees in the area that this is an image from earlier in spring. Drove by there last week, and the site appears to be cleaned up... no mounds of debris.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    You can tell by the lack of leaves on the trees in the area that this is an image from earlier in spring. Drove by there last week, and the site appears to be cleaned up... no mounds of debris.
    Yes, photo is April 6, 2020. I should have made that clear.

Detroit still can't get or doesn't want a Kroger no where within it's borders. Nice job Mayor, City Council, DEGC, and other bought and paid for planners

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Detroit still can't get or doesn't want a Kroger no where within it's borders. Nice job Mayor, City Council, DEGC, and other bought and paid for planners

Does Kroger want to put in a store within City borders?

Kroger had a bad experience in putting a store at Gratiot and 7 Mile a few years back... didn't last but 2 years. One of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Can't remember why Kroger pulled the plug, but I believe shrinkage was involved in the decision making.

Kroger had a bad experience in putting a store at Gratiot and 7 Mile a few years back... didn't last but 2 years. One of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Can't remember why Kroger pulled the plug, but I believe shrinkage was involved in the decision making.
    Please don't ruin our resident conspiracy theorist's day with facts.

Around the time Kroger committed to that store, it was right before the residency requirement was lifted and the real estate bubble took off.

It may well be one of the worst neighborhoods now, but back in the late 90s, the areas bounded by 7 Mile - 8 Mile - Kelly - Hoover was still one of the more stable middle class areas in the city.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-11-20 at 10:14 AM.

I have a few Krogers around me. I drive past all of them on my way to real grocery stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I have a few Krogers around me. I drive past all of them on my way to real grocery stores.
    That's a long way to be driving for a Wegman's, H-E-B or Publix...

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post

Ok, I'll bite, what do you consider is a real grocery store?

There are a LOT of Krogers in that area. One at 9 mile and Mack, which used to be a Farmer Jack's. One near Mack and Vernier. One at Marter and Lakeshore. One at 8 mile and Harper. One in the Village. These are all within a couple of miles of each other.

I'm guessing they'll move the 9 and Mack store, which is very old and relatively small compared to the newer stores, up to Harper.

Gratiot and 7 mile was a declining area in the year 2000 when Kroger had opened. Kroger would do good business on Woodward near Mack or Jefferson near St Aubin. Yes I believe that there is a conspiracy to keep Kroger, Target m, and Walmart out of Detroit. It was said that Kroger closed the Gratiot location due to theft. Mikes market had been the for as almost 17 years in the same spot and there hasn't been any reports of theft in that market

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    It was said that Kroger closed the Gratiot location due to theft. Mikes market had been the for as almost 17 years in the same spot and there hasn't been any reports of theft in that market
    Are you sure about the bolded?

Mike's has a somewhat different cost structure than Kroger that helps them to better absorb losses from theft.

1. The employees aren't unionized. In fact, most of them are friends / family working under the table.

2. They eliminated frills such as a full service bakery, pharmacy, florist and seafood counter.

3. The hours of operations are somewhat more limited.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-14-20 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    There are a LOT of Krogers in that area. One at 9 mile and Mack, which used to be a Farmer Jack's. One near Mack and Vernier. One at Marter and Lakeshore. One at 8 mile and Harper. One in the Village. These are all within a couple of miles of each other.

I'm guessing they'll move the 9 and Mack store, which is very old and relatively small compared to the newer stores, up to Harper.
    I'm thinking the one on Mack near Parcells school. That one is really small and stock is limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    I'm thinking the one on Mack near Parcells school. That one is really small and stock is limited.
    Is that the one between Moross and Vernier? It is relatively newer... and although not huge, it was much larger than the one on Mack & Moross, which was razed as part of the Grosse Pte. Farms "land bank". Still wondering what the Farms are planning on doing with the Moross/Mack site. I'm sure the NIMBY crowd in the Farms has probably nixed a lot of ideas for that large site [[where besides Kroger, Sears and Hughes Hatcher used to be long ago).

Is that the one between Moross and Vernier? It is relatively newer... and although not huge, it was much larger than the one on Mack & Moross, which was razed as part of the Grosse Pte. Farms "land bank". Still wondering what the Farms are planning on doing with the Moross/Mack site. I'm sure the NIMBY crowd in the Farms has probably nixed a lot of ideas for that large site [[where besides Kroger, Sears and Hughes Hatcher used to be long ago).
    Yep, closer to Vernier. Pretty sure it's on the property where the bowling alley once stood.

I have heard it said that Kroger only decided to build at that location so it wouldn't go to Meier. It it gets built look a couple of the nearby ones to be closed.

I believe the only one that will close is the 9 Mile/Greater Mack store, according to old news reports. The Mack Ave. store in GPW, the Marter Rd. store in SCS, and the Old 8 Mile & Harper store in Harper Woods are likely going to stay.
    Last edited by Gistok; July-19-20 at 05:31 PM.

When we had a lot of grocery stores, A&P, Chattam, Great Scott, Farmer Jack, etc. did anyone shop at Kroger??? Now they don't even have butchers anymore, everything is pre packaged.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    That's a long way to be driving for a Wegman's, H-E-B or Publix...
    What’s so great about Publix? I shop there all the time when I’m down in FL, I dont think they’re any better then Kroger, I think their meat and produce departments are not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    What’s so great about Publix?
    Much better customer service, better selection of baked goods, handmade subs and consistently cleaner stores

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Much better customer service, better selection of baked goods, handmade subs and consistently cleaner stores
    Baked goods are way better at Publix, no doubt about that. I think prices are higher on most items then the Kroger’s around here. As far as customer service goes, I guess it’s better, there seem to be more employees around. I usually just buy what I need, pay the cashier, shut up and leave.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2