NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 ... LastLast

Default Local, National And World Covid Stories - Mar. 23, 2020

DETROIT & WINDSOR METRO + MICHIGAN

• Gilbert's Bedrock gives 3 months free rent to help small tenants
    • Fiat Chrysler to make face masks
    • Mich Marijuana Industry deemed essential amid lockdown
    • Liquor Stores too
    • Michigan 'stay home, stay safe' order lockdown at midnight to non-essentials

REST OF THE WORLD

• 373k confirmed cases, 16.3k deaths, 100k recovered, ~250k pending cases; as of 5PM est. Numbers subject to nations transparency and testing bandwidth.
    • Belize confirms first case, all countries in the Americas now affected
    • UN chief calls for global truce so world can focus on virus
    • Taliban pledges not to kill healthcare workers
    • IOC announces that 2020 Olympics will be postponed
    • Canada, Australia pull out of Olympics
    • UK announces lockdown, travel permitted for essential supplies and essential work only; police powers dispensed to disperse.
    • Germany / Merkel’s initial test comes back negative
    • Paris hotels to house homeless
    • South Africa announces lockdown
    • Nepal announces lockdown
    • Tunisia orders army into streets to to enforce lockdown
    • Michigan, Wisconsin announce lockdown to begin at midnight 3/24... Ohio will also enter lockdown at this time but announced yesterday.
    • Quebec enters lockdown
    • Hong Kong, who thought it had coronavirus under control, braces for third wave as residents return home
    • WHO has seen more than two fold increase in cyber attacks over the last month
    • WHO warns that the pandemic is ‘clearly accelerating’
    • India: More than 3/4 of districts lock down, migrant workers defy curfews and crowd trains,
    • Italy reports 602 deaths, the number dropping for the second day in a row
    • At least 23 Italian doctors have died in epidemic
    • Russia may be forced to put off controversial vote that could allow putin to hold power until 2036
    • Russia to use mobile phones to track people at risk of covid
    • East Africa faces dual shock from covid and larger than normal locust swarms
    • 2,600 US military personnel in Europe in self isolation

Default Gov. Whitmer's Michigan 'stay at home' order

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer has issued a "stay at home" order for Michigan, effective at midnight tonight, in response to the coronavirus crisis.

To combat the spread of COVID-19 in Michigan, Governor Whitmer signed the “Stay Home, Stay Safe” executive order. For at least the next three weeks, all Michigan businesses and operations must temporarily suspend in-person operations that are not necessary to sustain or protect life, and all Michiganders must stay in their homes unless they’re a part of that critical infrastructure workforce, engaged in an outdoor activity, or performing tasks necessary to the health and safety of themselves or their family, like going to the hospital or grocery store.
    YOU CAN:

• Go to the grocery store or pick up take-out food.
    • Go to the pharmacy to pick up a needed prescription.
    • Engage in outdoor activities like walking, hiking, running, biking.
    • Go to the hospital or secure any care necessary to address a medical emergency or to preserve your health or the health of a loved one.
    • Fill your car with gas.
    • Return to Michigan to a home or place of residence from outside the State.
    • Leave the State for a home or residence elsewhere.
    • Walk your pets and take them to the veterinarian for needed medical care.

YOU MAY NOT:

• Leave the home to work unless your employer designates you as a critical infrastructure worker.
    • Participate in any public gatherings.
    • Visit someone in the hospital, nursing home, or other residential care facilities [[with limited exceptions).
    • Go to the mall or to restaurants.

BUSINESSES THAT REMAIN OPEN FOR IN-PERSON WORK MUST TAKE AGGRESSIVE STEPS TO MINIMIZE THE VIRUS’S SPREAD. THEY MUST:

• Promote remote work to the fullest extent possible.
    • Restrict the number of workers present in-person on the job.
    • Keep employees at least six feet from one another to the maximum extent possible and enabling social distancing for customers who are standing in line.
    • Any other social distancing practices and mitigation measures recommended by the Centers for Disease Control.

Information around this outbreak is changing rapidly. The latest information is available at Michigan.gov/Coronavirus and CDC.gov/Coronavirus.
    For those who have questions about the state’s actions to mitigate the spread of coronavirus, please call the COVID-19 Hotline at 1-888-535-6136 between 8AM - 5PM daily.

Download Full Document Here:
    Attachment 39937
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, you would think. If it was true
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Shouldn't a body temperature of 98.6 degrees stop the virus ?????????

Shouldn't a body temperature of 98.6 degrees stop the virus ?????????
    Yeah that does beg that question and post #69 has been amended to reflect it's inaccuracies and advise readers. It has not been removed as it is referenced in subsequent posts.

I just read the NIH's very wonky Coronaviruses: An Overview of Their Replication and Pathogenesis. It describes a process like the movie Alien of how the virus invades a cell, replicates, burst out and spreads. Whether it is protected in the cell or is vulnerable to temperatures is not addressed.

Digging around I find that reference appears to be to what they call dry CoV meaning CoV shed outside human bodies, similar to this report on its sister corona Virus SARS.

The main route of transmission of SARS CoV infection is presumed to be respiratory droplets. However the virus is also detectable in other body fluids and excreta. The stability of the virus at different temperatures and relative humidity on smooth surfaces were studied. The dried virus on smooth surfaces retained its viability for over 5 days at temperatures of 22–25°C and relative humidity of 40–50%, that is, typical air-conditioned environments. However, virus viability was rapidly lost [[>3 log10) at higher temperatures and higher relative humidity [[e.g., 38°C, and relative humidity of >95%). https://www.hindawi.com/journals/av/2011/734690/
    This NYTimes article says that there are indications that CoV's do not thrive at warmer and more humid temperatures but it appears inconclusive and the temperatures at which it dies off are far higher than 80F/27C.

At least two other studies published on public repositories have drawn similar conclusions for the coronavirus. One analysis by researchers in Spain and Finland found that the virus seemed to have found a niche in dry conditions and temperatures between 28.3 degrees and 49 degrees Fahrenheit [[or minus 2 and 10 degrees Celsius). Another group found that before the Chinese government started imposing aggressive containment measures, cities with higher temperatures and more humid environments reported a slower rate of infection transmission early in the outbreak.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/h...ronavirus.html
    So the above refutes "dies if it is exposed to temperatures greater than 80°F [[27°C)"

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...YOU MAY NOT:...
    Go ... to restaurants....
    My understanding is that you can go to restaurants but only for take out. Has anyone else been hearing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    My understanding is that you can go to restaurants but only for take out. Has anyone else been hearing that?
    Restaurant workers are not essential according to this from the governor's order. Additionally the purpose of the order is to prevent any exposure where ever possible. It makes some sense for the workers' protection. As much as I wanted to help the restaurants, have not ordered carryout.CoV is passed by respiratory droplets and I had yet to see any restaurant where chefs and servers were masked.

8. For purposes of this order, critical infrastructure workers are those workers described by the Director of the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency in his guidance of March 19, 2020 on the COVID-19 response [[available here). Such workers include some workers in each of the following sectors:
    [[a) Health care and public health.
    [[b) Law enforcement, public safety, and first responders.
    [[c) Food and agriculture.
    [[d) Energy.
    [[e) Water and wastewater.
    [[f) Transportation and logistics.
    [[g) Public works.
    [[h) Communications and information technology, including news media.
    [[i) Other community-based government operations and essential functions.
    [[j) Critical manufacturing.
    [[k) Hazardous materials.
    [[l) Financial services.
    [[m) Chemical supply chains and safety.
    [[n) Defense industrial base.

9. For purposes of this order, critical infrastructure workers also include:
    [[a) Child care workers [[including workers at disaster relief child care centers), but only to the extent necessary to serve the children or dependents of critical infrastructure workers as defined in this order. This category includes individuals [[whether licensed or not) who have arranged to care for the children or dependents of critical infrastructure workers.
    [[b) Workers at designated suppliers and distribution centers, as described below.
    [[1) A business or operation that employs critical infrastructure workers may designate suppliers, distribution centers, or service providers whose continued operation is necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of its critical infrastructure workers.
    [[2) Such suppliers, distribution centers, or service providers may designate workers as critical infrastructure workers only to the extent those workers are necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of the original operation’s or business’s critical infrastructure workers.
    [[3) Designated suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers may in turn designate additional suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers whose continued operation is necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of their critical infrastructure workers.
    [[4) Such additional suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers may designate workers as critical infrastructure workers only to the extent that those workers are necessary to enable, support, or facilitate the work of the critical infrastructure workers at the supplier, distribution center, or service provider that has designated them.
    [[5) Businesses, operations, suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers must make all designations in writing to the entities they are designating, whether by electronic message, public website, or other appropriate means. Such designations may be made orally until March 31, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
    [[6) Businesses, operations, suppliers, distribution centers, and service providers that abuse their designation authority shall be subject to sanctions to the fullest extent of the law.
    [[c) Workers in the insurance industry, but only to the extent that their work cannot be done by telephone or remotely.
    [[d) Workers and volunteers for businesses or operations [[including both and religious and secular nonprofit organizations) that provide food, shelter, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals, individuals who need assistance as a result of this emergency, and people with disabilities.
    [[e) Workers who perform critical labor union functions, including those who administer health and welfare funds and those who monitor the well-being and safety of union members who are critical infrastructure workers, provided that any administration or monitoring should be done by telephone or remotely where possible.

How is this going to be enforced? Are the police going to follow everyone around? It's not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    How is this going to be enforced? Are the police going to follow everyone around? It's not possible.

If your out, the National Guard shoots you, simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    If your out, the National Guard shoots you, simple.
    Or, they'll have you back at work at the point of a gun. Lol

Addendum...

Although I don't see it above I am reading in Crain's where "essential businesses include ...restaurant carryout and delivery ..."

Maybe it is a broad interpretation of 8 [[c) above "Food and Agriculture"

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/corona...virus-outbreak

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I was just watching CBC's The National. Police are cruising about using loudspeakers to disperse any gatherings and, being Canadians I guess, they were said to be complying without incidence.

Yesterday, however, there was forcible incident with a woman in Quebec who refused to be quarantined, I presume she had tested positive, and had to be physically detained.

But I hear your point and thinking a couple of weeks ahead, when the weather is balmy and folks have been cooped up for awhile, I expect a lot of scofflaw events.

Jeez - We learn something every day.

https://tinyurl.com/It-s-not-alive

I hope that the Chinese government will close down the wet meat markets and endangered animal flesh trade for good.

[[Or I won't buy Chinese anymore)

And thanks Lowell, for keeping us informed to the best of your ability in this crazy mishmash of mass media.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-24-20 at 01:46 AM.

But I hear your point and thinking a couple of weeks ahead, when the weather is balmy and folks have been cooped up for awhile, I expect a lot of scofflaw events.
    As she put it, "the National Guard is only here to insist...".

The theory is this is that not only do they eat the pangolin, etc, but they believe that some parts of it [[and civet cat and other animals) are cures for various ills, such as bad skin or menstrual cramps. It's very hard to break peoples belief in these ancestral cures which makes closing down these markets even harder. It is already illegal to purchase these animals and what has that stopped?
    Jeez - We learn something every day.

https://tinyurl.com/It-s-not-alive

I hope that the Chinese government will close down the wet meat markets and endangered animal flesh trade for good.

[[Or I won't buy Chinese anymore)

And thanks Lowell, for keeping us informed to the best of your ability in this crazy mishmash of mass media.

I was just watching CBC's The National. Police are cruising about using loudspeakers to disperse any gatherings and, being Canadians I guess, they were said to be complying without incidence.

Yesterday, however, there was forcible incident with a woman in Quebec who refused to be quarantined, I presume she had tested positive, and had to be physically detained.

Maybe it will be like that video from Italy with a mayor yelling at people who are outside.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The theory is this is that not only do they eat the pangolin, etc, but they believe that some parts of it [[and civet cat and other animals) are cures for various ills, such as bad skin or menstrual cramps. It's very hard to break peoples belief in these ancestral cures which makes closing down these markets even harder.
    The crazier thing is that the modern "traditional" Chinese medicine was invented by the Chinese government in the 1950s. They were trying to modernize their health care system but didn't have the production capacity to make modern medicines, so Mao encouraged "traditional" cures be used as a stop-gap. He didn't believe in it himself, and got Western style health care, of course.

https://slate.com/technology/2013/10...eve-in-it.html

Default Detroit police member diagnosed with coronavirus dies

Another sad inevitability has arrived...

A member of the Detroit Police Department afflicted with the novel coronavirus has died, police announced early Tuesday morning.
    Police Chief James Craig will discuss the department's loss at 11 a.m. in a news conference at the Detroit Public Safety Headquarters. It will be broadcast live on the department’s Facebook page.
    Mayor Mike Duggan said Monday 14 of the city's 9,000 employees had tested positive for COVID 19, with the police department hit the hardest, with 9 cases.
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ies/2905904001

Default Compilation Of Local, National And World Covid Stories - Mar. 24, 2020

DETROIT-WINDSOR METRO + MICHIGAN

• Michigan stores no longer accepting bottle returns
    • Michigan smoking more marijuana than any other state
    • Rumors circulate of Home Depot Livonia [[deemed essential) having 2 confirmed cases and keeping quiet
    • MI businesses ‘struggle’ with question of whether they are essential during lockdown
    • Member of Detroit PD dies from covid19
    • Ford plans to build 1k respirators ler month using F150 seat fans, portable battery packs, and 3d printed parts and 100k face shields per week in partnership with UAW, GE, and 3M
    • Frank Murphy 36th district court gets deep cleaning after exposure
    • Amid mask shortage, Detroit apparel makers step in to produce protective gear

REST OF THE WORLD
    • 407k Worldwide confirmed cases, 18.2k deaths, 104k recovered, 284k pending cases; as of 5PM est. Numbers subject to nations transparency and testing bandwidth.
    • Italian coronavirus cases seen “10 times higher” than official talk as per the head of the agency collaring the data
    • Coronavirus stayed on surfaces for up to 17 days on Diamond Princess Cruise CDC says
    • WHO anticipated US to become new epicenter for virus
    • US has crossed into pandemic threshold
    • US president says he wants country opened by Easter
    • Some US democrats want Pence to take wheel following president's incoherence
    • NY Cuomo to FEMA “You pick the 26k that are going to die”
    • 1 in 4 people across the world are under coronavirus restrictions
    • Football stadiums around the world are converting to temporary hospitals
    • Mexico suspends public and private gatherings
    • Judge in Lebanon tries defendants via WhatsApp
    • New Zeland enters lockdown
    • Romania enters full quarantine, orders army into the streets
    • Singapore reintroduces lockdown after second wave of infections
    • UK lockdown will last up to six months
    • Pakistan deploys army to enforce lockdown
    • Indian government to announce total nationwide lockdown until April 14
    • Indian police clear out anti government protests citing coronavirus
    • Samsung, Xiaomi, other phone brands pause manufacturing in India
    • Moscow mayor communicates that ‘serious situation’ is unfolding in Russia
    • Putin dons hazmat suit as Moscow says coronavirus outbreak is worse than it looks
    • Russian PM Mikhail Mishustin on Monday gave the authorities 5 days to develop a system to track people who have come into contact with coronavirus by using mobile phone geo data
    • Taiwan launches ‘electric fence’ program to track people in coronavirus quarantine through their phone GPS data... police will respond within 15 minutes if a person is caught away from home... officials also call twice a day at random to make sure phones are kept on person
    • Poland made an app for quarantined patients which forces them to send a selfie or face police.
    • Italy approves use of drones to monitor social distancing
    • Spain extends lockdown
    • Ireland: state takes control of all private hospitals
    • Irish patient infected with two strains of covid19 at once
    • UK asks for 250k volunteers to help its health service cope
    • Netherlands adopts herd immunity approach
    • China to lift curbs in Wuhan
    • Chinas new cases double due to imported infections
    • 2020 Tokyo olympics officially postponed until 2021
    • Instagram to remove coronavirus related content from recommendations

Press conference on new develoments re. NYC from this evening, see Birx, Pence and Fauci, etc.:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdcHQr0_Ag

In reference to post above:

I wonder what? They've been rather mum on disclosing numbers?
    • Moscow mayor communicates that ‘serious situation’ is unfolding in Russia
    I think more than a few indies and repubs may be feeling are agreeing with this. Increasingly. Pence just spoke a few moments ago in a press conference about the growing problem in NY/ NYC etc. It was almost a relief to not be distracted wondering if he was going to say something off, contorted or rash.
    • Some US democrats want Pence to take wheel following president's incoherence...
    Um, no this is not going to happen. Not with our hot zones growing! But maybe more focus upon the hot zones?
    • US president says he wants country opened by Easter
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-25-20 at 08:55 AM.

Default Quicken Loans may need assistance

Federal legislation that is working its way through Congress will likely be allowing forbearance on mortgage and rent payments [meaning payments may be delayed by tenants without penalty]. This has a cascading effect, particularly on a company like Quicken.

The Wall Street Journal identified Quicken Loans as one of the major firms that are bracing for a wave of missed mortgage payments that would require them to quickly come up with billions of dollars that they hadn't planned on.

This liability would pertain to mortgages that Quicken Loans services. Those are mortgages for which Quicken collects the borrower payments, then passes the payments on to investors who own the mortgages.

Mortgage servicers typically must advance the planned mortgage payments to the investors - regardless of whether borrowers make the actual payments that are due. The servicers are also responsible for payments when borrowers are granted a forbearance, or temporary suspension of their mortgage payments.

Even though mortgage servicers are eventually reimbursed for those advanced payments by entities such as Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac that guarantee mortgages, there is a timing mismatch, which can result in a cash crunch.
    https://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/?pub...a9e93a_13435a9

A great loss to the citizens of Detroit! Marlowe Stoudamire has passed!
    RIH!!

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/obitua...d-19-diagnosis

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    A great loss to the citizens of Detroit! Marlowe Stoudamire has passed!
    RIH!!

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/obitua...d-19-diagnosis
    Wow. Only 43, no underlying conditions and no recent travel.

Federal legislation that is working its way through Congress will likely be allowing forbearance on mortgage and rent payments [meaning payments may be delayed by tenants without penalty]. This has a cascading effect, particularly on a company like Quicken.

https://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/?pub...a9e93a_13435a9
    Apparently refinancing is soaring since everybody is home and it's done over the phone. This should help Quicken some. I bet those guys are really working the phones.

Local, National And World Covid Stories - March 25, 2020
    DETROIT & WINDSOR METRO + MICHIGAN
    • Second DPD Officer dead from virus
    • Detroit area hospital system 'nearing capacity'
    • Quicken Loans may need temporary emergency funding amid pandemic
    • Wayne county jail releases pregnant, 'vulnerable' inmates
    • Beaumont, Michigan's largest healthcare system, nears capacity.
    • Henry Ford Health reaches limit on COVID19 patients at two hospitals
    • Domestic Violence Calls Spike 25% under lockdown
    • Michigan citizens get "A" grade for social distancing

REST OF THE WORLD
    • 441k official cases worldwide, 19.7k deaths, 111.9k recoveries as of 6PM est numbers subject to nations transparency and testing bandwidth.
    • Spain's official coronavirus death toll overtakes China'a
    • China's transparency regarding past and current numbers called into question by many western countries. One study, pending peer review, said that 60% of Wuhan's cases were asymptomatic or mild enough to not be reported.
    • China's premier warns local officials not to hide new infections
    • People swarm trains, buses to leave Chinese cities in Hubei as travel restrictions lifted
    • Italy sees a decline in daily fatalities after a spike yesterday.
    • Italian engineer's idea turns scuba masks into ventilators, saving lives
    • 'All hell breaks loose' at New York Hospital [[CNN via anonymous doctor)... triage seems likely
    • WHO says not too late for US to reverse course
    • NY's Cuomo says social distancing efforts are working to slow spread
    • Experts warns that New Orleans is next US epicenter
    • Experts warn US death peak may still be three weeks out
    • Egg sales have soared 44%, prices 'skyrocketing'
    • Idaho to receive lockdown announcement
    • White house, congress reach deal on $2 Trillion relief package; increases unemployment cap to $600 a week, extend unemployment to self employed, gig, and freelance workers, hints at $1,200 stimulus checks. As of 5PM Wednesday, republicans find the unemployment benefits too generous.
    • SpacceX making and donating hand sanitizer, face shields
    • Coronavirus dents NASA's 2024 return to moon
    • Nevada governor limits use of antimalaria drugs for cornoavirus, hoping to prevent hoarding and protect people who needed it prior to the pandemic.
    • India bans export of hydroxychloroquine, malaria drug that shows promise against cronoavirus... UK sees a shortage emerge as a result.
    • UK's youngest fatality is a 21 year old female with no prior conditions
    • UK Subway system fills just one day after lockdown order was given
    • UK cornonavirus mass home testing to be made available 'within days'
    • Britan's Prince Charles tests positive; met with fellow royals including the Queen prior to test
    • UK doctors threaten to quit NHS over shoragage of protective equipment
    • More than 170k Britons heed call for 250k to sign up for NHS volunteer army
    • Canada/Trudeau's wife test positive
    • Canada passes $82 Billion relief package
    • Canadians told to expect $2k CA per month within 10 days for the next 4 months
    • Toronto is gathering cellphone location data from telecoms to find out where people are still congregating
    • Brazil's Bolsonaro maintains that cronoavirus is a media hoax
    • Hospital that tested Bolsonaro will not reveal identities of two positive cases, Bolsonaro will not show his results.
    • Quarantined Brazilians protest against Bolsonaro from windows
    • Brazil: Drug traffickers in one of Rio de Janeiro’s best known favelas have imposed a coronavirus curfew, amid growing fears over the impact the virus could have on some of Brazil’s poorest citizens.
    • New Zealand enters full lockdown
    • Chechnya calls for execution of quarantine breakers
    • India threatens to shoot on sight if lockdown orders disobeyed
    • Czechs make masks mandatory
    • One Third of humanity now under virus lockdown
    • More people on lockdown today than were alive in WW2
    • Snowden warns: 'the surveillance states and use of high tech [measure to combat the outbreak] will outlast the virus
    • Putin postpones vote to extend his rule
    • Sudden loss of smell or taste emerging as early warning symptom
    • Icelandic scientists claim to have found forty mutations of the coronavirus
    • Scientists say the cornonavirusis not mutating quickly and might respond to a single vaccine

Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 ... LastLast