Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thank you posting!

On the topic of Detroit hotels and COVID, it is important to note how low the supply of Detroit hotel rooms actually is/was compared to peer cities. Point being, it will actually be a benefit to Detroit hotels that supply is low, because demand will obviously be low as well in the near term.

Other cities, with an over abundance of rooms, will probably suffer far worse due to the drop in tourism.
    Last edited by Atticus; May-24-20 at 07:51 PM.

So, is Michigan Avenue the next Detroit roadway for a Q-Line light-rail tram system, or do the current [[new) plans for Michigan Ave preclude that possibility for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    On the topic of Detroit hotels and COVID, it is important to note how low the supply of Detroit hotel rooms actually is/was compared to peer cities. Point being, it will actually be a benefit to Detroit hotels that supply is low, because demand will obviously be low as well in the near term.

Other cities, with an over abundance of rooms, will probably suffer far worse due to the drop in tourism.
    Yeah, I remember a conversation on this forum a couple of years ago pointing out how some smaller metros, such as Charlotte, had many more hotel rooms than Detroit. That helped Charlotte to secure the DNC in 2012 and the RNC in 2020, but it will be an albatross for them if travel doesn't pick up fast.

As for right now the Godfrey Hotel will be delayed until further notice due to COVID-19.

it didnt even start , do the research

Quote Originally Posted by shawring View Post
    it didnt even start , do the research
    Difficult time to start construction on a hotel project. Not for the faint of heart under great circumstances.

He posted the same thing in the Hudson thread, yet there are workers on site today. I'll wait for a more reliable source.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Difficult time to start construction on a hotel project. Not for the faint of heart under great circumstances.
    Every project I've been following in the city so far has restarted construction. Not sure what the timeline for this is but I'd bet it wasn't supposed to break ground for awhile regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Metro25 View Post
    Every project I've been following in the city so far has restarted construction. Not sure what the timeline for this is but I'd bet it wasn't supposed to break ground for awhile regardless.
    Even if they broke ground today, by the time this hotel opened up there would be either:
    1- A COVID vaccine, in which case things would be going back to normal, or
    2- The realization that a COVID vaccine isn’t happening, in which case life with COVID is the new normal.

In either case, people will be traveling again. Even in the latter case, most people aren’t going to decide that they can never travel and stay in a hotel for the rest of their lives. The point is, by the time this place opens, the COVID situation will be over [[at least in some fashion or another).

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Even if they broke ground today, by the time this hotel opened up there would be either:
    1- A COVID vaccine, in which case things would be going back to normal, or
    2- The realization that a COVID vaccine isn’t happening, in which case life with COVID is the new normal.

In either case, people will be traveling again. Even in the latter case, most people aren’t going to decide that they can never travel and stay in a hotel for the rest of their lives. The point is, by the time this place opens, the COVID situation will be over [[at least in some fashion or another).
    I think all of the above is true. However, the hotel business and travel in general may not reach pre coronavirus levels for quite some time. I don’t think that this is prime time to begin a ground up new hotel construction project with the uncertainties that remain.

Apparently construction is beginning today.

Construction has started on a 227-room hotel in Detroit's Corktown neighborhood west of downtown.
    The $45 million to $50 million Godfrey Hotel is expected to be complete in 2023 after being developed by a joint venture between Farmington Hills-based Hunter Pasteur Homes and Chicago-based Oxford Capital Group LLC.
    A building on the site, most recently City Cab, that has been vacant for a couple of decades will be torn down to make way for the new project.

This is totally going to change the feel, connectivity and walkability of Michigan Avenue. This is what we've been waiting for.

Unfortunately it looks like that giant billboard between the church and this building will stay put..

In addition there's also been an update on the AC hotel on Woodward. Expect construction to start on that this fall.

Construction didn’t begin yesterday. That vacant building is still on the site. Obviously that needs to be removed before they can break ground. I went by the site yesterday and there was no activity at all.

The AC Hotel development has yet started. Maybe it is for Fall 2022?

Looks like the Michigan and Church Development is called the Perennial. Also looks like the area is now fenced off and they are targeting 2023 completion. Here is a video of it from Frankai and other Corktown goodies including Godfrey Hotel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWnhMekZW3A

There's a billboard right next to the Godfrey that says "Union electricians power Detroit. Why not the Godfrey?"

There are two more projects in front of the HDC's next meeting by this developer. One is the Self-Storage building/ Red Arrow bottling plant that was originally planned to be demolished. It's nice to see it being turned into housing. The other is on Trumbull and Leverette. Both of these projects are being described as "Phase II" of the Oxford Perennial/Hunter Pasteur project.

"The Formosa"

"Red Arrow Lofts"

I've hit my image quota so I will try to upload screenshots if I can get that increased by the admin

I love the big flashy projects downtown but these are the types of things that the city absolutely needs more of. Building density in the surrounding neighborhoods will only push the need for highrises downtown. I hope to see a lot more of this in the lots that are adjacent to I-75 in Corktown.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    There are two more projects in front of the HDC's next meeting by this developer. One is the Self-Storage building/ Red Arrow bottling plant that was originally planned to be demolished. It's nice to see it being turned into housing. The other is on Trumbull and Leverette. Both of these projects are being described as "Phase II" of the Oxford Perennial/Hunter Pasteur project.

"The Formosa"

"Red Arrow Lofts"

I've hit my image quota so I will try to upload screenshots if I can get that increased by the admin
    Is 1567 Church the building that the community members saved on the neighborhood impact calls that took place for the Godfrey project? If so, glad to see there's a plan to renovate it, will be a win to see it first saved, then rehabbed.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    Is 1567 Church the building that the community members saved on the neighborhood impact calls that took place for the Godfrey project? If so, glad to see there's a plan to renovate it, will be a win to see it first saved, then rehabbed.
    I believe so, but I'm not 100% sure. I assume the parking garage is still being built on the empty lot next to it as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4