Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Yeah the slowdown feels like its happening but those dead numbers bumped up quite a bit for a few days there.
    I don't think you can look at day-to-day numbers for information on how the virus is progressing. As Duggan pointed out a couple of days ago, testing can take a while, and as batches are processed through the labs and backlogs are cleared the reported cases can spike. I think week-to-week is a better indicator as the spikes and troughs are smoothed out.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    I think I just got it. Tightness in chest, shortness of breath. Really mild but annoying because we took a lot of precautions. This thing travels between people well.

It was designed to do that. I hope you're Ok. Go seek help immediately. Don't wait until it's out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Wow, I hope not.

The reality is, the infection rate is probably 20 x the current "confirmed' case number. [[Probably 12 million infected in the USA now). Some 86% of people that get it do not even go to the hospital. Even those that do go,... more than half have not been tested. This is changing as testing kits and lab access gets more plentiful. So we should see confirmed case numbers sky-rocketing as testing gets more plentiful,.. but it's not. Increasing yes,.. but not doubling or tripling in rate like we'd expect. Possibly indicating that we're further down the down-slope that it seems.

Death rates fall a couple weeks after case rates,... so I think we'll see those fall fast in a week.

Nurses I talked to last night report far less total patients than in normal times,... and deaths from Covid have fallen from 5 a day to between 0 and 2.

Anti-body testing is the key to a safe re-opening. I had the Covid thing 3 weeks ago. A badge that we could wear for a few months if they already have the anti-bodies? It's being considered,.. but legal questions remain.

Oh it's going to happen as people are living in fear of COVID-19 pandemic. The whole world is still in lock down.
    And another chance of the second wave could happen. Yes we need more testing but our government is playing politics and thinking about which spike cases of people who are infected with COVID-19 will either live or die! President Trump who is hungry to save the economy and his precious TRUMP TOWER INC. wants people out an about to buy buy buy. But it's up own businesses if they can pay their bills. And stimulus checks are the key and more antibody testing and other drug treatments are the key.

Some states are planning a NO MASK NO SERVICE Policy. California is the first state to do so. Michigan will be next if Governor Whitmer has her say. So be prepare for the New Normal Age. You can look, but you can't touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    WELCOME TO THE NEW AGE FOLKS. WE'RE IN FOR A FUTURE SHOCK!!
    I agree with you that these are the measures we should have been taking months ago, but there is a lack of leadership as well as a lack of willingness on the part of many of our fellow citizens to continue social distancing and wearing masks for another 12-18 months or whenever a vaccine is developed.

I personally will be wearing a mask whenever I go outside for the remainder of the year and practice social distancing as much as I am able to when I have to return to the office. I'll be doing a lot more cooking a lot less dining out and socializing.

Because widespread testing was not conducted in February, and most Americans still lack access to a test [[unless you are wealthy, famous, and influential), we aren't ready to go back outside and return to our normal lives.

My prediction is that the president and a lot of governors around the country will be eager to go back to business by May or June. There will be a second wave of infections within a month and a half after the stay at home orders are lifted, and many of us will be forced to go back indoors by winter. This is what happens when the correct measures aren't taken the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    I agree with you that these are the measures we should have been taking months ago, but there is a lack of leadership as well as a lack of willingness on the part of many of our fellow citizens to continue social distancing and wearing masks for another 12-18 months or whenever a vaccine is developed.

I personally will be wearing a mask whenever I go outside for the remainder of the year and practice social distancing as much as I am able to when I have to return to the office. I'll be doing a lot more cooking a lot less dining out and socializing.

Because widespread testing was not conducted in February, and most Americans still lack access to a test [[unless you are wealthy, famous, and influential), we aren't ready to go back outside and return to our normal lives.

My prediction is that the president and a lot of governors around the country will be eager to go back to business by May or June. There will be a second wave of infections within a month and a half after the stay at home orders are lifted, and many of us will be forced to go back indoors by winter. This is what happens when the correct measures aren't taken the first time around.

Good post, and you're 100% correct. Masks and gloves should be mandatory for entering a place of business. "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no gloves, no service..." Anyone refusing, $200 fine. You'll see how fast all this settles down.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Good post, and you're 100% correct. Masks and gloves should be mandatory for entering a place of business. "No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no gloves, no service..." Anyone refusing, $200 fine. You'll see how fast all this settles down.
    Absolutely NOT.

There seems to be a building stampede of closings, postponements and cancellations, large and small. This little one just came into the inbox from an Eastern Market gallery seems emblematic.

"Wasserman Projects, its staff, and artists are committed to the health and safety of our audience. Given the current situation with the coronavirus [[COVID-19) we feel it is best to cancel this Friday's opening reception of our Spring 2020 Exhibitions featuring Dorota & Steve Coy's - The Five Realms, and Adrian Wong's - Tiles, Grates, Poles, Rocks, Plants, and Veggies.

"At this time, Wasserman Projects will remain closed to the public in order to properly prepare our space for visitors - through extensive protective protocols including the installation of new hand sanitizer stations, daily cleaning of all touch surfaces, and other best practices."

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    There seems to be a building stampede of closings, postponements and cancellations, large and small....
    At least one local nursing home is turning away all visitors for at least two weeks but that's understandable.

The portcullises are falling like anvils.

Bring out your dead [[Monty Python)

the major colleges have now advised students not to return to classes after spring break. Moving or attempting to move to online classes.

https://www.theoaklandpress.com/life...05a3a433d.html

As of now, 5:42pm on March 11th, less then 40 people have reportedly died. That is out of a population of over 300 million. Yes, this is very scary, but at this point you have to keep it in perspective. I’m going to stick close to home for a while, avoid crowded situations if I can, and continue to live my life without freaking out, at least at this point.

Frozen Four at LCA in April will be played without fans. Big loss of revenue for downtown business and the city.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Frozen Four at LCA in April will be played without fans. Big loss of revenue for downtown business and the city.
    It appears that spectator sports are about to be down for the count. The NCAA has declared that the basketball and hockey tournaments will be played without fans. Can the NBA and the NHL be too far behind them? And I sure wouldn't count on going to Tigers opening day in a couple of weeks.

NYC has postponed their auto show originally scheduled for next month, so even though it seems far off in June I wouldn't necessarily count on the one here happening either. Movie theaters, concerts, museums, etc. seem also likely to be closed or canceled in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-11-20 at 07:09 PM.

If you want to know where these viruses "likely" originate... check out this Wuhan China "Wet Market".... warning... this is disgusting to watch... they eat everything in China... dog, cat, snake, bat... and things you can't identify....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rzgO9S5SM

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If you want to know where these viruses "likely" originate... check out this Wuhan China "Wet Market".... warning... this is disgusting to watch... they eat everything in China... dog, cat, snake, bat... and things you can't identify....
    A couple of my friends from China [[who agree these markets are disgusting by the way) have said it's not the poor eating this stuff. The poor bring these animals in from rural areas to be sold in the city to the middle and upper class. It's a cultural thing that won't easily be changed. Meanwhile the poor eat mostly rice because they can't afford these "delicacies".

Yep. It's the elite, and rich who have the highest, rapacious appetite for all that stuff. And can afford it! Chinese food in China hardly resembles what we eat here. Those that have visited China learn this FAST!!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The poor bring these animals in from rural areas to be sold in the city to the middle and upper class. It's a cultural thing that won't easily be changed. Meanwhile the poor eat mostly rice because they can't afford these "delicacies".
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-11-20 at 07:24 PM.

Most Chinese people don't have enough "Yuan" dollars to buy luxury healthy and junk food [[From Wal-Mart). So they go into bazaars buy dog, cat, snake, bat and panda and make chop suey out the them. Then the viruses will come out bowels of animals and enter into their weak frail bodies and started to spread like crazy to every nation on Earth. Yes blame the Chinese for their mess. But one day they will learn their lesson when this pandemic is over and President Xi and the commie leaders answer to World Court of the U.N.

That's about as free as a free market can get.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

It's a good idea to try to verify things like this.
    The video was actually filmed in the small city of Langowan, Indonesia -- 3400 miles away.
    The AP debunked it:

Video does not show Wuhan market thought to be ground zero for new virus
    https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8455103990

That the video appears on YouTube, and on a channel with only 667 subscribers, should have been a tip off it's not a reliable source.

Wuhan is a modern city of 12 million and the market there doesn't look anything like that.
    It's been widely reported "exotic" foods were sold there, but I'm fairly sure not everything shown in the video, and a few things that aren't.
    Last edited by bust; March-11-20 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It's a good idea to try to verify things like this before sharing.
    The video was actually filmed in the small city of Langowan, Indonesia -- 3400 miles away.
    The AP debunked it
    I'm sorry... I must have missed that since I don't visit the AP webpage. Then this video should be taken down by YOUTUBE. If I would have known that the "Center for Disease Control" emblem was used illegally on that Youtube site then I never would have posted it....

I'll be sure never to visit a Indonesian restaurant....
    Last edited by Gistok; March-11-20 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It's a good idea to try to verify things like this.
    The AP debunked it:

Video does not show Wuhan market thought to be ground zero for new virus
    https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8455103990

That the video appears on YouTube, and on a channel with only 667 subscribers, should have been a tip off it's not a reliable source.

Wuhan is a modern city of 12 million and the market there doesn't look anything like that.
    It's been widely reported "exotic" foods were sold there, but I'm fairly sure not everything shown in the video, and a few things that aren't.
    The whole world knew that the Chinese were selling their "Chop Suey" in the markets of Wuhan. My big question is would the whole world invests in China after the outbreak is is over?

From the reading I've done, this particular virus comes from eating and using parts of the Pangolin, which is an anteater type animal with scaly skin. Ugliest thing I've seen in a while. SARS came from eating Civet cat, which is like skunk. Both animals get it from bats. Now these diseases are not contagious from animal to human unless you eat them. There are fines and jail time for doing this in China, but the people who eat them believe they will have benefits beyond food, like curing menstrual cramps and enlarging penises, so they obtain and eat them at risk of going to jail. It's nuts.

Well, the Stable Genius will address the country tonite. Let's see what old fucknuts has to say about this hoax, um, fake news, er, plot hatched by the deep state, or whatever.

The problem is that this thing is both non-threatening to most people, and that it is deadly or requires long-term intensive treatment for a not insignificant percentage of those who get it. It is also clearly highly contagious and pretty easily spread, even by those who are showing few or no symptoms.

So there is a particular danger of it passing from the often asymptomatic or lightly symptomatic young to the very vulnerable elderly and people with certain health problems. Perhaps en masse. Proximity to the carrier or anything they've contacted seems to be the most important factor in spreading it, thus the concentration on reducing crowds and contact. The most important thing is that we just do not have the hospital facilities to deal with the possible number of acute cases in need of intensive care, so better we do what we can to slow its spread now.

The fact that the feds have botched up the testing [[look over there at Canada, where they can now run thousands of tests a day to our hundreds), and that there are clearly many thousands more people out there carrying and potentially spreading the virus than we know about, makes it doubly imperative that we undergo some short-term suffering and inconvenience now to stop the potential for a much larger disaster.

Yes, it may all seem like an over-reaction, and if they're successful and only hundreds or a couple thousand die rather than many more, a lot of people will probably complain that they don't understand what all that fuss was about. But the people I know in the medical community, many of whom are normally quite blase, are much more spooked by the potential of this coronavirus than anything I've ever seen.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-11-20 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The problem is that this thing is both non-threatening to most people, and that it is deadly or requires long-term intensive treatment for a not insignificant percentage of those who get it. It is also clearly highly contagious and pretty easily spread, even by those who are showing few or no symptoms.

So there is a particular danger of it passing from the often asymptomatic or lightly symptomatic young to the very vulnerable elderly and people with certain health problems. Perhaps en masse. Proximity to the carrier or anything they've contacted seems to be the most important factor in spreading it, thus the concentration on reducing crowds and contact. The most important thing is that we just do not have the hospital facilities to deal with the possible number of acute cases in need of intensive care, so better we do what we can to slow its spread now.

The fact that the feds have botched up the testing [[look over there at Canada, where they can now run thousands of tests a day to our hundreds), and that there are clearly many thousands more people out there carrying and potentially spreading the virus than we know about, makes it doubly imperative that we undergo some short-term suffering and inconvenience now to stop the potential for a much larger disaster.

Yes, it may all seem like an over-reaction, and if they're successful and only hundreds or a couple thousand die rather than many more, a lot of people will probably complain that they don't understand what all that fuss was about. But the people I know in the medical community, many of whom are normally quite blase, are much more spooked by the potential of this coronavirus than anything I've ever seen.

The coronavirus is a just like a common cold with a kick. Young people can get the virus and have little or no symptoms and recovered quickly however as living biological inhibitors. Just a cough and a sneeze within community transmission to anyone who does not have a stronger immune system will get sicker quicker and possibly be doomed to die!

This pandemic reminds me of a small but sobering incident when we buried my father-in-law a couple years back. Didn't realize until that day at his family's plot that he'd had two siblings who died in 1918 or 1919 from the worldwide flu epidemic. It struck me that he had lived to be 95 while his "older" siblings only made it to a year or two.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast