Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If you want to know where these viruses "likely" originate... check out this Wuhan China "Wet Market".... warning... this is disgusting to watch... they eat everything in China... dog, cat, snake, bat... and things you can't identify....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rzgO9S5SM
    That's about as free as a free market can get.

Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    Think about that demand that will be needed. We have no where near that number of hospital beds, or medical staff, or IV bags, etc.
    Those patients should be in Airborne Isolation rooms. That means 100% negative airflow ALL THE TIME. If not, they risk cross contamination, and hospital-acquired infections are a HUGE problem. If I am building a hospital with 100 beds, I typically only build about 5 of those as Airborne Isolation rooms. Translation: Hospitals will have a very hard time handling a lot of critically ill patients who need to be in isolation.
    Last edited by hybridy; March-11-20 at 08:49 PM.

The NBA has suspended it's season indefinitely. This will have a major negative impact on LCA and on the city.

If you want to know where these viruses "likely" originate... check out this Wuhan China "Wet Market".... warning... this is disgusting to watch... they eat everything in China... dog, cat, snake, bat... and things you can't identify....
    It's a good idea to try to verify things like this.
    The video was actually filmed in the small city of Langowan, Indonesia -- 3400 miles away.
    The AP debunked it:

Video does not show Wuhan market thought to be ground zero for new virus
    https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8455103990

That the video appears on YouTube, and on a channel with only 667 subscribers, should have been a tip off it's not a reliable source.

Wuhan is a modern city of 12 million and the market there doesn't look anything like that.
    It's been widely reported "exotic" foods were sold there, but I'm fairly sure not everything shown in the video, and a few things that aren't.
    Last edited by bust; March-11-20 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    The NBA has suspended it's season indefinitely. This will have a major negative impact on LCA and on the city.
    "It's a hoax"

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    That's right. My math stinks so I have this handy, easy-to-use percent calculator bookmarked for regular use:

percentagecalculator.net
    I have to admit I'm pretty bad at dealing with percentages. I have been looking for a calculator like this for awhile now. I really appreciate the link, and I promise my percentages will be on point from this point forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ASilvaman View Post
    I have to admit I'm pretty bad at dealing with percentages. I have been looking for a calculator like this for awhile now. I really appreciate the link, and I promise my percentages will be on point from this point forward.
    You would have been close to right if you were applying those estimates to the US population. Even a bit too optimistic. 2% of 70% of 327 million = 4.6 million. That's what I thought you were doing.
    Last edited by bust; March-11-20 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    It's a good idea to try to verify things like this before sharing.
    The video was actually filmed in the small city of Langowan, Indonesia -- 3400 miles away.
    The AP debunked it
    I'm sorry... I must have missed that since I don't visit the AP webpage. Then this video should be taken down by YOUTUBE. If I would have known that the "Center for Disease Control" emblem was used illegally on that Youtube site then I never would have posted it....

I'll be sure never to visit a Indonesian restaurant....
    Last edited by Gistok; March-11-20 at 09:47 PM.

^^ We learned a thing or two about Langowan, Indonesia, at least.

I don't regularly the AP site either, BTW.
    But before sharing anything potentially scandalous, shocking, or that pushes people's buttons I do try to verify it's true. And don't if I can't.

I arrived at the AP article from a google search for the terms "Langowan market Wuhan" because when I put the title of the video [[shown at the very beginning) into google translate it detected Javanese, and returned "Extream Langowan Market." I was suspicious because it didn't look anything like a major city in China to me.
    Last edited by bust; March-11-20 at 10:26 PM.

^^ We learned a thing or two about Langowan, Indonesia, at least.
    Now I'm curious what real Chinese markets look like?

Now I'm curious what real Chinese markets look like?
    Don’t know about China but The Dow futures just crashed another thousand plus points after tonight’s speech and European travel ban...

The NCAA's Ice Hockey Championship, well known as the "Frozen Four" is scheduled to take place at LCA on April 9 &11. It has now been closed to the public, and may end up being cancelled.

This will cost Detroit hotels several thousand nights of room revenue and millions to local bars, restaurants, and local merchants.

Sporting events, concerts, etc...everything is likely to be cancelled. The economic impact will be astonishing.

NBA suspends season after Utah Jazz player tests positive for Covid19.
    Name:  nba.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  61.7 KB

So if anyone went to the Piston's-Jazz game at the LCA should be monitored for coronavirus.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    "It's a hoax"
    Not a hoax. It real. Human survival comes first before pleasure.

It's a good idea to try to verify things like this.
    The AP debunked it:

Video does not show Wuhan market thought to be ground zero for new virus
    https://apnews.com/afs:Content:8455103990

That the video appears on YouTube, and on a channel with only 667 subscribers, should have been a tip off it's not a reliable source.

Wuhan is a modern city of 12 million and the market there doesn't look anything like that.
    It's been widely reported "exotic" foods were sold there, but I'm fairly sure not everything shown in the video, and a few things that aren't.
    The whole world knew that the Chinese were selling their "Chop Suey" in the markets of Wuhan. My big question is would the whole world invests in China after the outbreak is is over?

I work for a large company downtown that has started to tell people to work from home. I was to told stay home today and Friday. My kids go to Rochester Community Schools which has closed Thursday and Friday so they can do teacher training for virtual learning.

Things seem to be escalating quickly. Hopefully it all blows over. I've told my elderly parents that I'm cutting off physical contact with them for now and suggested my siblings do the same.

Good luck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Not a hoax. It real. Human survival comes first before pleasure.
    I was quoting DT from a few days ago.

This too will pass. This will be solved. But not without a lot of disruption in our lives and damage to the economy.

By summer the trajectory of the epidemic will be clearer as will progress toward potential vaccines and treatments. The economy will go into recession with lower business earnings with higher unemployment.

Short term, and for right now, there will be high volatility - in markets and in people's and institution's behavior.

Get ready. Be strong. Pull together.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I work for a large company downtown that has started to tell people to work from home. I was to told stay home today and Friday. My kids go to Rochester Community Schools which has closed Thursday and Friday so they can do teacher training for virtual learning.

Things seem to be escalating quickly. Hopefully it all blows over. I've told my elderly parents that I'm cutting off physical contact with them for now and suggested my siblings do the same.

Good luck everyone.
    My son's employer also told them to work from home. "Accessing the situation." Hoping they do the same for my daughter as she occasionally travels for work.

From the reading I've done, this particular virus comes from eating and using parts of the Pangolin, which is an anteater type animal with scaly skin. Ugliest thing I've seen in a while. SARS came from eating Civet cat, which is like skunk. Both animals get it from bats. Now these diseases are not contagious from animal to human unless you eat them. There are fines and jail time for doing this in China, but the people who eat them believe they will have benefits beyond food, like curing menstrual cramps and enlarging penises, so they obtain and eat them at risk of going to jail. It's nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1rzgO9S5SM

Everyone is finally catching on it appears, mostly because they were forced to cancel events by state or local gov'ts. Meanwhile Florida, possibly the least prepared state due to the high numbers of senior citizens and foreign visitors, carries on with spring training baseball, a PGA golf tournament today, Disney and other theme parks operating as usual.

I don’t recommend it.

Name:  corona [[2).jpg
Views: 804
Size:  142.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Everyone is finally catching on it appears, mostly because they were forced to cancel events by state or local gov'ts. Meanwhile Florida, possibly the least prepared state due to the high numbers of senior citizens and foreign visitors, carries on with spring training baseball, a PGA golf tournament today, Disney and other theme parks operating as usual.
    Not sure on the least prepared aspect,I have a choice of 16 clinics within a 8 mile radius in which I can go for no cost testing or care in relation to.

We are largely a tourist driven state and millions of service workers that are a crucial part of running it,it is hard to tell them to stay home for an unknown period of time without pay.

The ones that qualify for food assistance received an extra $500 in order to stock up in case.

A majority of the elderly are centered in click locations,outside of the villages which covers 1000s of acres they are not really mingling in the general population to start with.

For the most part all of their family members are up north and rarely even visit them so their exposure level is probably lower then most.

Florida deals with hurricanes,tornadoes,alligators and millions of other critters and after hurricane Andrew actually set the standard for the EOC that is used in every city in the country,we are prepared but not going to freak out until it is necessary.

We live 365 days out of the year being prepared for anything and are geared for fast reaction when necessary by nature,probably more prepared then any other state because it is second nature as a part of living here.
    Last edited by Richard; March-12-20 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not sure on the least prepared aspect,I have a choice of 16 clinics within a 8 mile radius in which I can go for no cost testing or care in relation to.

We are largely a tourist driven state and millions of service workers that are a crucial part of running it,it is hard to tell them to stay home for an unknown period of time without pay.

The ones that qualify for food assistance received an extra $500 in order to stock up in case.

A majority of the elderly are centered in click locations,outside of the villages which covers 1000s of acres they are not really mingling in the general population to start with.

For the most part all of their family members are up north and rarely even visit them so their exposure level is probably lower then most.

Florida deals with hurricanes,tornadoes,alligators and millions of other critters and after hurricane Andrew actually set the standard for the EOC that is used in every city in the country,we are prepared but not going to freak out until it is necessary.

We live 365 days out of the year being prepared for anything and are geared for fast reaction when necessary by nature,probably more prepared then any other state because it is second nature as a part of living here.
    Not meaning to disrespect the sunshine state! I should have said "most susceptible" rather than "least prepared". I meant in terms of the number of intensive care hospital beds with respirators per capita that will be needed should it get into the senior population. As a pre-caution I think it's crazy they are going on with these large gathering events in Florida, although MLB finally woke up and cancelled spring training effective immediately.
    Last edited by 401don; March-12-20 at 12:40 PM.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast