Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast

I just read that Ford is delaying their production "indefinitely."

The way things are going there and with the broader economy, they'll be in bankruptcy court by the Summer.

Are there any hospitals in the metro Detroit area that are publicly owned, at the city or county level? The VA hospital is federally owned of course.

This might not be applicable to the corona virus since a runny nose is not one of the common symptoms. It'll make folks more precautious anyway. It's gross.

How a Virus Spreads So Easily | MythBusters
    If you're in a room with a person with a runny nose, is it true that like it or not, their snot will get on to you? Adam and Jamie put it to the test!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

The way things are going there and with the broader economy, they'll be in bankruptcy court by the Summer.
    I've been saying it for a month now. Not that I'm an expert but I kind of doubt ford fca or gm will ever open their doors again. I hope I'm wrong because my wife and my job are strongly related. I work in auto plants almost exclusively.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I've been saying it for a month now. Not that I'm an expert but I kind of doubt ford fca or gm will ever open their doors again. I hope I'm wrong because my wife and my job are strongly related. I work in auto plants almost exclusively.
    Where to even go with a comment like this. I mean, you're entitled to your opinion, but to quote the saying on my wife's coffee mug, "I can't even..."

I see virtually no chance of that happening.

Indefinite in this case means that we don't have enough data yet to plan a date for re-opening. The states that are setting dates in April, May and June are largely making guesses, that will no doubt be revised as the situation evolves.

Well, if Ford stock hits a buck again, I'll be backing up the truck and loadin' up.

^ its screwing up the supply chain,there was a guy on another forum that could not give away 40,000 cases of freshly picked tomatoes because of the switch to basic essential supplies as a priority,perishables are low in the delivery demand side.

If people did not stock up in February it is a little late now,I am glad here anyways,no return policies have been implemented and limits on the amount of purchases on some items,people fighting over a roll of toilet paper reminds me of the Cuban stores in Miami that bake fresh bread.

You can be stand there,the only person,and as soon as they put the loafs up on the counter,eveybody comes out of the woodwork and will literally push you out of the way if you do not grab and go.

It helps to pick a store and learn their delivery schedule first,they all have one.

20 years from now instead of people saying they had to walk to school uphill in the snow with no shoes,it will be,it was so rough during the virus you could not even get toilet paper so we had to slide our butts across the lawn like a dog.
    Last edited by Richard; April-01-20 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yea a war zone hospital is pretty graphic and nothing compared to what is happening now even down to operating under the constant threats of bombs and missiles,not saying they are not operating under dire circumstances but also not even close to a war zone conditions.
    I get what you're saying it's not war in the physically violent sense, but it's war nevertheless in the amount of deaths and crowded rooms and lack of hospital beds, and shortages of equipment to fight this virus. It's still a war.

It is a world war on many aspects,we are fighting against an enemy and the enemy is the virus,and like any outbreak of a war it takes time for those attacked to gear up for the attack in order to win against it.

On the other hand it is not a war on a virus,it is a war on complacency because not only did we know it was coming many years ago,we prepared for it then wrote it off,we may not have created the virus but we sure created the results.

It is not a war if you stand in front of the truck and see it coming while refusing to get out of the way.

The question then becomes as we experience the casualties of war up close and personal,are we going to remain complacent or are we going to wake up and prevent the future wars that we are gong to be facing.

Only then,as in a time of war,will we know if those sacrifices were made in vain.

There are also lots of underlying issues that we have been at war against for many years that has changed a skirmish into a war,we will get through this and the unanswered question will be what are going to do in the future with the lessons learned,so we do not have to go to war again.
    Last edited by Richard; April-01-20 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nobody seems to know how long it will last although once people realize they've hoarded too much, they'll stop buying it — suddenly, and for a long time.
    It appears the Detroit area, and much of the U.S., is 1-2 weeks behind some other areas in terms of social distancing and the run on supplies. Maybe this is why the virus outbreak is worse than here in Ontario. Ontario has not done a lot of testing until this week either but started social distancing about 3 weeks ago and had the same run on groceries,etc. Now everything is in full supply. Toilet paper was on sale at several locations this week. The big change this week is the gov't suggesting people shop online and get delivery for groceries whenever possible. Now stores with same day delivery are backed up 10 days or more.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Maybe this is why the virus outbreak is worse than here in Ontario.
    Are you thinking the differences in the healthcare,excess to it transportation wise,General underlying heath conditions and even income levels has nothing to do with it?

I know little about Ontario,other then they seem to speak French alot,are they equal in a side by comparison to Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Are you thinking the differences in the healthcare,excess to it transportation wise,General underlying heath conditions and even income levels has nothing to do with it?

I know little about Ontario,other then they seem to speak French alot,are they equal in a side by comparison to Detroit?
    I was really comparing the Metro Toronto area to Metro Detroit. Or all of Ontario to all of Michigan for that matter. I don't think the economic conditions, access to healthcare, etc. is much different at least as far as fighting the pandemic thus far. The city of Detroit is a completely different animal and all of those factors I'm sure have affected their higher rate. Quebec is the French province. Most people in Ontario [[except for a couple of pockets up north) just complain that that all the signs are bilingual.

Détroit est une plaque tournante internationale.

and international hubs are one of the established parameters,along with the average age group,income levels etc. Queens was the epicenter in NYC,high immigrant population with lack of excess to health care and even down to level of care within the differences between the public and private hospitals.

Taiwan was supposed to be the hardest hit in the world said the experts,because of their proximity to China and the amount of travel inbetween the two countries.

Taiwan has one of the lowest rates because after the SARS pandemic they implemented policies just like we did before even that.The difference is they stuck to it where we did not.

Dade county,Miami,back in Late January early February increased their hospital bed capacity to 5000 but it will not matter,maybe a little less stressful,China hid so much from the world as to what was going on,there was no way for anybody to know what the real impact was going to be and little to go on as far as preparations.

In Detroit,NYC,Cali,Florida soon,the conditions were all in place for the perfect storm so to speak,it would have been hard to stop something that you did not know what impact it would have once it got here and the speed of spread.

There was a time when we were prepared to lessen the impact but that shipped sailed 15 years ago.

A doomsday scenario if I’ve ever heard one. I don’t think there’s any possibility of that.

I'd put the odds of that at 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000:1.

Never open again??????? This virus isn't going to wipe out 25%+ of society, and some level of commerce will remain even in the deepest and darkest of recessions.
    Last edited by MrNittany; April-01-20 at 10:51 PM.

What time does gov. Whitmer speak today? I'm in rep. Rashida Tlaib district and received a town hall call from her Tuesday.

Withstanding her politics a great deal of information was provided.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-02-20 at 09:48 AM.

Some time tonight. No school.

She's [[gov. Whitmer) about to speak now [[approx. 11:00 AM) re. the closure of K12 and other executive orders right now live @ Fox2Detroit and other news options.

Then another town hall meeting this evening I think!
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-02-20 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    She's about to speak now [[10:45 AM) re. the closure of K12 and other executive orders right now live @ Fox2Detroit and other news options.

Then another town hall meeting this evening I think!
    She's going to speak shortly. Tonight is a "town hall". My personal opinion, it's the right call. Only problem is, not all districts were able to send notebooks, laptops home with the kids. Some homes don't even have access to wifi.

Annualized auto sales have collapsed to just 11.4 million vehicles, with more room to fall yet.

For comparison, auto sales only reached lows of around 9.5 million vehicles in the depths of the Great Recession.

Just sad. This bus driver got infected and died.
    https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/det...ssengers-cough

In the contiguous US, Michigan is leading the way in job losses per-capita...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/02/this...the-virus.html

Quote Originally Posted by MrNittany View Post
    I'd put the odds of that at 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, 000,000:1.

Never open again??????? This virus isn't going to wipe out 25%+ of society, and some level of commerce will remain even in the deepest and darkest of recessions.
    sales are down, parts will be hard to find. Who will be buying a new car with no job. Will civilized society hold on after fed checks stop and we still have no work? In china they are starting to come back to work[[we shall see how that goes) but the factories have no orders to fill now cuz the rest of the world is struggling. When we come back online they will be closed from lack of business. This has lots of far reaching effects that we can not even think of yet. "They" are talking about a 3 year depression once this gets over with in a year or two. Will cars be considered essential once they start thinking about re opening in 5 years? I hope I am wrong, but at those odds I'll bet a dollar. Even though the paper dollar is starting to be frowned upon around the world. A tredecillion to one. I had to yahoo it.
    Last edited by abraham; April-02-20 at 06:39 PM.

Annualized auto sales have collapsed to just 11.4 million vehicles, with more room to fall yet.

For comparison, auto sales only reached lows of around 9.5 million vehicles in the depths of the Great Recession.
    Yea, and they have been shut one week now. Lets see where that figure is in a year. I have not even got my first unemployment check yet. I will be hurting still cuz it is only about half of what I make normally and when that runs out and there are no jobs to apply for, going up the the local dealer to purchase a new car will not be on my mind. Unless the feds are buying us all a new car.

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 ... LastLast