Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    mikefmich... let me refresh your memory... starting at Hereford [[on Chester)... Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses, Lancaster Engineering, Chester Clinic [[where my sadistic dentist Dr. Rochon had his practice), Elam's Bar, Embo's Grocery [[later Secy of State), a Barber Shop [[name escapes me), Milk Depot, Rexall Drug Store... and then a few blocks west towards Cadieux... Wrigley's Super Market [[later a furniture store), and Wrigley's Drug Store.
    I believe the former Wrigley's became Tree's Furniture.

Thanks mikefmich! [[and Kathleen too!)

West of Cadieux and on the south side of Harper.... Bank of the Commonwealth... the Vogue Theatre [[I went there often), Dick Shalla Chevrolet, and the block past St. Matthews Church [[a block before the Golden Budda)... was Earl's Bike Shop... where I satisfied my LEGO addiction as a kid!
    For a long time, Earl was a Lionel train dealer as well as a bike shop.

Vogue was the closest theater to us [[Nottingham and Grayton) where I lived 1941-1954. We could also walk to the Civic which had great Sat matinees for the kiddys.

_

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    For a long time, Earl was a Lionel train dealer as well as a bike shop.

Vogue was the closest theater to us [[Nottingham and Grayton) where I lived 1941-1954. We could also walk to the Civic which had great Sat matinees for the kiddys.

_
    Wasn't the Civic on Kelly at Hayes? Bit of a hike from the Vogue - Perhaps you meant the Alger at Warren & Outer Drive?
    In the early 70's there used to be quite a few theatres in the area, in addition to the aforementioned Civic, Alger and Vogue I remember the Cinderella, Harper, Esquire, Woods, Eastland and Shores-Madrid - Did I miss any?

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    Wasn't the Civic on Kelly at Hayes? Bit of a hike from the Vogue - Perhaps you meant the Alger at Warren & Outer Drive?
    In the early 70's there used to be quite a few theatres in the area, in addition to the aforementioned Civic, Alger and Vogue I remember the Cinderella, Harper, Esquire, Woods, Eastland and Shores-Madrid - Did I miss any?
    Only one I can think of is the Punch and Judy in Grosse Point Farms... the attractive building it was in still exists, but the theatre shell was removed for office space. It was where I first saw a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show... from the safety of the balcony... no rice, rain or toast falling down on us.

Where we were [[Nottingham and Grayton) the Vogue was several blocks east and the Civic was a few more blocks west. The Civic was at the west end of Whittier where it did a diagonal jog and became Houston, Alger, Harper, and Ramona [[McNicholls and Gratiot) were a tad more distant.

Ramona and Beacon East.

Only one I can think of is the Punch and Judy in Grosse Point Farms... the attractive building it was in still exists, but the theatre shell was removed for office space. It was where I first saw a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show... from the safety of the balcony... no rice, rain or toast falling down on us.
    Yes, I also saw the RHPS at the Punch and Judy, don't know how I forgot that one - Starting to suffer from crs, I guess. Also forgot the Ramona, but I don't think I ever saw a show there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2