Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Or Ebay. I try to use Ebay as much as possible for small stuff over Amazon [[Even though I have an Amazon Prime account - LOL).

Amazon has killed retail! They mail out somethings the next day!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Amazon.

That 'smoke' campaign may have had more relevance now appose to 1977!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Not too long ago, I saw an video on YouTube of an ad from 1977 about Gardner-White having a "smoke sale" at their location that was on Fort Street and Junction. The location along with the nearby warehouse did actually close soon after [[it might have been their last store in Detroit proper).

They really have no shame.

We bought a leather couch and chair from them back in the 90's. They still look fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
    Too true. It's really sad, in my opinion. When we bought furniture for our first kid, I had one request: that it be made in the US. I don't trust the quality or safety of the materials and finishes coming out of China.

At the time, there was really only one option, Young America, made in North Carolina.
    This, 100%!

It's important to have local retailers. It's much more important to have domestic manufacturers. Or, at least manufacturers from places with high standards we can trust.

They're not only safer, they last longer, and are well worth the investment in the end.

I've spent less up front buying furniture from the usual culprits, and the adage "you get what you pay for" is certainly true. Even more expensive furniture from places like Crate and Barrel falls apart in a few years.

When my parents bought a new house in the 70's they outfitted it with furniture they bought direct from a manufacturer in North Carolina. It arrived at our door in a semi. Today you'd think it's almost new.

For me, this is even more the case when it comes to food. Food safety is nothing to take lightly.

I'll buy fruit and vegetables from Latin America but of course it's best from a local farm. Most of our salmon is from Chile these days and that's ok, I guess. But I'm not sure about that.

However food from China, or anywhere else in Asia: no thanks!

Of course some of it's good, but I don't trust anything that gets shipped here in a container from the factory farms and food processors there. And those are just about the only foods from Asia that arrive on American and Canadian shelves.
    Last edited by bust; February-17-20 at 09:38 PM.

This is an anecdotal observation without any statistical backup, but I would think online marketplaces--from eBay to Craigslist--have really cut into the market share of new-merchandise retailers like Art Van.

Furniture is a major purchase that is overpriced and devalues quickly, so most budget-conscious consumers [[which covers just about everyone, save the wealthy few) are probably willing to look at slightly used furniture if they can save a substantial sum.

In ancient times, the "used furniture" market consisted of garage & estate sales, flea markets, and consignment shops. Buyers were subject to whatever random merchandise and condition the seller offered. This is not so in today's vast online marketplace---buyers can find exactly the piece[[s) they are looking for.

Traditional stores like Art Van used to offer perks like free delivery, but that advantage has been sacrificed to a combination of cost saving and transformation of delivery into an expensive "revenue enhancement" option for the store. Since virtually everyone is driving a pickup or SUV now, what difference does it make whether the furniture is picked up at Art Van or elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    And the supermarkets: Wrigley, Big Bear, Packer's, Farmer Jack...…..
    Amazon. Costco. Walmart. They will rule the world, if they don't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    This is an anecdotal observation without any statistical backup, but I would think online marketplaces--from eBay to Craigslist--have really cut into the market share of new-merchandise retailers like Art Van.

Furniture is a major purchase that is overpriced and devalues quickly, so most budget-conscious consumers [[which covers just about everyone, save the wealthy few) are probably willing to look at slightly used furniture if they can save a substantial sum.

In ancient times, the "used furniture" market consisted of garage & estate sales, flea markets, and consignment shops. Buyers were subject to whatever random merchandise and condition the seller offered. This is not so in today's vast online marketplace---buyers can find exactly the piece[[s) they are looking for.

Traditional stores like Art Van used to offer perks like free delivery, but that advantage has been sacrificed to a combination of cost saving and transformation of delivery into an expensive "revenue enhancement" option for the store. Since virtually everyone is driving a pickup or SUV now, what difference does it make whether the furniture is picked up at Art Van or elsewhere?
    I was reading something yesterday, after the news about Pier 1 Imports filing for bankruptcy, that points out the e-commerce doesn't entirely explain the woes of brick and mortar retail. Consumers are just acquiring fewer things than they used to. E-commerce is just eating into a retail pie that is shrinking overall.

Instead of acquiring things, people are spending more money on experiences. There was a segment of CBS This Morning today that highlighted how much alcoholic beverages have increased in price over the past decade. They were at a restaurant in Manhattan and pointed out that one of the drinks on the menu had increased in price by well over 100% over the past decade, but the cost of alcohol had not really budged over the same period of time. But people don't mind paying for the experience of being out in a social environment.

Depending on my needs & budget at the time, I've purchased furniture from all over this area. Art Van, Gardner White, Ikea, Montgomery Ward, Sears, Target, Macy's, Hudson's, Value City Furniture, Village Plaza Antiques, Knightsbridge Antiques, are the ones I can readily name. The only places where I have gotten any quality pieces, that lasted more than a few years, have been Hudson's & the antique shops where I picked up MCM pieces. I still have 2 of the chairs I bought at Hudson's 30+ years ago. When they had their warehouse sale a couple times a year, that was the best place to pick up good furniture at a good price. From a retail POV, I'm so sorry it's now Ford Field.

This thread made me look around the house. When we moved from Rosedale Park to Las Vegas, I rented a U-haul and brought most of our furniture with us. In the last 35 years, everything has been replaced save for a couple of end tables. I suppose that's about normal in this day and age.

Garden-White Furniture: "I'm winning Art Van Furniture. We're known by the money we keep. We don't go around the world franchising."

So much for Paul's TV scheme!

I wished that an Art Van store open downtown midtown

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Or Wayfair!
    I agree about Wayfair, UHG. Too bad they are not making this statement.

Way back when I was in junior high, 55-or-so years ago, my parents bought me a desk and bureau from Ethan Allen. Twenty-or-so years later, I used a Ford profit-sharing check to finish my bedroom with a bed, an.other bureau, mirror, and bookshelves. Now, these pieces still look great and work fine, but they were bought when Ethan Allen was made in Vermont and sold traditional styles. These days, my pattern isn't sold anymore; everything in the Ethan Allen stores is hyper-modern and just not my style [[I don't know where they're made anymore). I could use more bookshelves, but I just can't match what I have, so I do without. I guess I'm glad my parents and I could afford to buy furniture that will last as long as I do, but I'm sorry I can't find more furniture in the same style and of the same quality. I also have an Ethan Allen sofa that is fine except for the damage caused by an exceptionally destructive kitty, so that's more testimony to the former quality of that brand. Yeah, not really on topic to a post re Art Van, just a rant about the decline of the American furniture industry.

Bob's Discount Furniture: " We here in SE Michigan folks. We sell cheap furniture than Art Van."

Wow - closing all stores, liquidation sale. Bummer for all the employees. Pretty stunning.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...on/4951107002/

They got bought out by a private equity firm. Those firms routinely liquidate for cash. No real surprise that they didn't want to run a furniture business.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I bought two rooms of furniture from Gardella, on Gratiot around Chene Street. They are happy to order whatever you want, their prices and service are very good. I have no complaints at all about that place and would buy stuff there again in the future.

As far as buying furniture on line, who services it when / if something goes wrong? It’s all crap from China now, I’m not sure if there’s any Domestic furniture manufacturers left.
    Gardella is a gem, in my opinion. I've had at best decent experiences with Art Van, but the hedge fund piece and loss of area jobs sucks.

Down here in Florida most of the Art Van style furniture is sold by a chain called Rooms to Go, aka Rooms that Blow. I guess Uncle Joshua Doore gave up the ghost.

For anyone wanting to jump on the liquidation sales - keep in mind that the markup on most furniture is huge. 30% off of list price should be the starting point for negotiating. If the "liquidation" price is anything less than 50% off and they won't go lower, walk away.

I kind of prefer the classic furniture experience to that of the big chains. Navigating through a historic multi-story building with furniture stacked up on shelves feels more adventurous. And the stuff carried by these places is either made locally or the stuff you can find online for the same price, except you get free delivery from the store.

And no pushy salespeople.

Kind of interesting that mom and pop furniture stores have outlasted the chains.

As of this posting the Art Van website has been replaced with a maintenance page.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    As of this posting the Art Van website has been replaced with a maintenance page.
    Sheesh...didn't take long.

Horrible!!! The brick and mortar stores are dying. So is Art Van.

The Van Eslander Family and folks will MAD and weeping right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    Down here in Florida most of the Art Van style furniture is sold by a chain called Rooms to Go, aka Rooms that Blow. I guess Uncle Joshua Doore gave up the ghost.

I do not know about now but when RTG set up in Lakeland as the headquarters they paid and advanced funds to all of their suppliers that were making stuff in the states to move with them.

Even their table lamp manufacturer that was a small mom n pop type place,they paid them to move and Financed their expansion to become a large manufacturer.

Even in the 1980s you could go to the furniture manufacturers in the Carolinas and order a house full of quality furniture at a 1/3 of retail,drop your trailer off in the morning,they would fill it up and you picked it back up by 4.

They are all shut now.

In the 90s when the sleigh bedroom set and the cannon ball sets were popular the set was $2500 locally made out of pressed wood and fake wood grain.

The same set you could order out of the Carolinas online made out of real wood and laminates for $1200.

I know somebody that rented a closed Kmart for cheap,lots of shipping containers from China and the place is packed with people,he has a big dumpster in the back,20% does not even make the voyage and gets sent straight to the trash.

They say the poor cannot afford to buy cheap stuff,because they buy the same stuff over and over again,it is cheap,if it breaks throw it in the trash and buy another.

People want cheap not quality,which makes cheap more expensive then buying quality the first time.

Mattresses are the worst,buy a set wholesale for $1800 and sell it retail for $5000.
    Last edited by Richard; March-06-20 at 09:17 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast