Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    ground is broken next to the Bonstelle Theatre on Woodward/Eliot. Will it be finished in time for the 2024 NFL draft?
    Attachment 42631
    Is that part of City club

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Is that part of City club
    I know you really want it to be the Target but I'm pretty sure it's the site of the hotel on the other side of Eliot St.! fwiw the City Club site looked fenced in a new way and there were some construction vehicles there too, but I don't think they got shovels out there yet.

I know you really want it to be the Target but I'm pretty sure it's the site of the hotel on the other side of Eliot St.! fwiw the City Club site looked fenced in a new way and there were some construction vehicles there too, but I don't think they got shovels out there yet.
    Window dressing. Again; A store such as Target is needed in the downtown midtown area for many reasons. I wouldn't want to have to travel to 8 Mile road just to purchase an ironing board and bath towels from Meijer especially if I am paying more than $2000 monthly for rent in one of the downtown or midtown apartments.

Window dressing. Again; A store such as Target is needed in the downtown midtown area for many reasons. I wouldn't want to have to travel to 8 Mile road just to purchase an ironing board and bath towels from Meijer especially if I am paying more than $2000 monthly for rent in one of the downtown or midtown apartments.
    I'm guessing a small format Target won't have a lot of ironing boards. Do people still use them?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm guessing a small format Target won't have a lot of ironing boards. Do people still use them?
    I can detect the irony in that. Lol

Maybe or maybe not. People still uses bathroom accessories especially wash cloths, towels, rugs, etc and other household items. Detroiters still have needs for food, clothing, and appliances that are sold in stores such as Target. You and others could still make your pilgrimage to Meijer to purchase these items. Why should anyone living in downtown or midtown Detroit paying over $100,000 in mortgages or $2000 + in rent have to drive miles out of their expensive enclaves to shop for such items?

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I can detect the irony in that. Lol
    I went sniffing around for the irony but then found it right under my nose. Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I went sniffing around for the irony but then found it right under my nose. Doh!

Laffs.

Maybe or maybe not. People still uses bathroom accessories especially wash cloths, towels, rugs, etc and other household items. Detroiters still have needs for food, clothing, and appliances that are sold in stores such as Target. You and others could still make your pilgrimage to Meijer to purchase these items. Why should anyone living in downtown or midtown Detroit paying over $100,000 in mortgages or $2000 + in rent have to drive miles out of their expensive enclaves to shop for such items?

On the other hand, Detroit may well be the ultimate forerunner in the quest to quash street business on the way to an amazonian model. Jimaz’s points about Amazon deliveries in the Chit Chat room are apt here.

Heck, so many people work from home, with less need to improve their wardrobe, etc…

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    On the other hand, Detroit may well be the ultimate forerunner in the quest to quash street business on the way to an amazonian model. Jimaz’s points about Amazon deliveries in the Chit Chat room are apt here.

Heck, so many people work from home, with less need to improve their wardrobe, etc…
    Sigh. Many deliveries either delivered to the wrong addresses or stolen by porch pirates.

yeah I wasn't talking about the need for all that stuff. I was just wondering how many young people actually use ironing boards these days. Unless you iron your wash cloths?

The only contemporary uses for ironing I can think of is church, courtroom or maybe costumes in a play or Renaissance Festival or something like that.

Recent jury duty instructions stressed "NO BLUEJEANS." I'm not going to wear a suit just for that. Fuck that. I had zero contempt of court until I read that restriction. Get with the times, you begowned fossils. I suppose I could have appeared in court, sans pants, to comply with the bluejeans ban. But is that really what the court wants?

And yes, there was a time when even bluejeans were ironed. «shudder»
    Last edited by Jimaz; May-28-23 at 07:12 PM.

Name:  districttimetable.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  65.0 KB

Do we know the status of the Henry Street redevelopment by Olympia? Their timetable from The District presentation in December shows it was supposed to start Q1 2023. I haven't been over there to check yet, but does anyone know if this is actually underway?

CODA is supposed to break ground this month. We shall see.

Not Midtown, but the UM Detroit Innovation Center will break ground later this summer.

Target/SOMA could start soon. Kirk Pinho said in early May that the developers were preparing to nab a general contractor soon.

What else kicks off this summer?

I rolled down Henry St. this morning actually, for this very reason. Nothing has been done, nothing appears to be started, no equipment has been brought over to start anything.

The next line item is 2200 Woodward for Q3, but considering Henry Street's inaction, I think it would be very fair to start raising a public ruckus if we don't see shovels on the ground at 2200 in the first week of July. and Same goes for the DCI site when the clock strikes Q4.

Quote Originally Posted by gratiotfaced View Post
    What else kicks off this summer?
    Bonstelle Theatre and adjacent hotel has broken ground. I read somewhere that Mariners Inn's new housing project broke ground [[Cass & Ledyard) but I didn't see evidence of that this morning. Piquette Flats had some construction walls when I was up there for techno last weekend.
    Last edited by kuuma; June-02-23 at 02:22 PM.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/bu...t/70155669007/

CODA in Brush Park will begin in June and take ~18 months to complete.
    I'm going to go ahead and say that CODA isn't happening at this point. The latest groundbreaking date, in June, blew by without a word from the developer.

I'm going to go ahead and say that CODA isn't happening at this point. The latest groundbreaking date, in June, blew by without a word from the developer.
    Bedrock should flirt with Target to move into one of Bedrocks own buildings and open a City Target.

Bedrock should flirt with Target to move into one of Bedrocks own buildings and open a City Target.
    I imagine Bedrock is somewhat competent and has made offers to them and pretty much every other national retailer long before now. I would say the same about Target but based on their total screw up moving into Canada perhaps not.

I imagine Bedrock is somewhat competent and has made offers to them and pretty much every other national retailer long before now. I would say the same about Target but based on their total screw up moving into Canada perhaps not.
    Don't forget Detroit always put red tape in the way of any national chain that want to open retail in Detroit while appearing to give clears paths to local start up retail that closes a year or two after opening

I rolled down Henry St. this morning actually, for this very reason. Nothing has been done, nothing appears to be started, no equipment has been brought over to start anything.

The next line item is 2200 Woodward for Q3, but considering Henry Street's inaction, I think it would be very fair to start raising a public ruckus if we don't see shovels on the ground at 2200 in the first week of July. and Same goes for the DCI site when the clock strikes Q4.

Bonstelle Theatre and adjacent hotel has broken ground. I read somewhere that Mariners Inn's new housing project broke ground [[Cass & Ledyard) but I didn't see evidence of that this morning. Piquette Flats had some construction walls when I was up there for techno last weekend.
    The construction might have started. There is some excavation and removal of old asphalt pavement.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/region/det...eatment-center

Target won't happen. Retailers don't want to deal with the HIGH theft problems that are plaguing urban areas, including Detroit. A friend works at Meijer's at 8 mile and said the theft there is "out of control."

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    Target won't happen. Retailers don't want to deal with the HIGH theft problems that are plaguing urban areas, including Detroit. A friend works at Meijer's at 8 mile and said the theft there is "out of control."
    Target is building a store in St. Louis. It was announced around the same time as the Detroit location.

I'm amazed by how many people I see walking downtown with Nike and Lululemon bags EVERY day of the week. The lack of retail growth, in downtown and midtown is really surprising to me.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor65 View Post
    That's a cop out. Let's not have more retail in downtown Detroit because Meijer is experiencing high that in one of its stores. Oooh wee!

Some Midtown Updates. Is this the end of Midtown? Don't want to be pessimistic but it seems like many projects have either stalled or taking ex-ordinarily long to build or start. Like there hasn't been any announcement for the Brewster Douglas Development by Bedrock. There are some project like on the corner of Brush and Winder that started either late last year or early this year and seems almost finished but below you'll find several projects that either just haven't started or is taking way too long to build.

CODA Detroit - I believe there was some recent article about securing additional funding, but this vacant lot is starting to overgrow.
    Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  55.4 KB

112 Edmund - Haven't heard anything updates on this development but feels like it has been announced ages ago.
    Name:  IMG_1858.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  50.3 KB

City Modern - Looks like they finally starting the last set of homes. That or wouldn't be surprised if they decided to scrap the last set. I believe this development started either 2016 or 2017?
    Name:  IMG_1859.jpg
Size:  33.7 KB

AC Hotel - I believe they wanted to get this done by the NFL draft in 2024? They have like 8 months left and are not off the ground yet.
    Name:  IMG_1860.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  71.0 KB

City Club Apartments Midtown - Looks like the City Club Apartments in Midtown St Louis [[announced roughly the same time as the one in Detroit) will be done by the time this one starts.
    Name:  IMG_1861.jpg
Size:  84.7 KB

Brush + Watson - Going to assume that the center building which was suppose to be the tallest building in Brush Parking is going to be scrapped at this point.
    Name:  IMG_1862.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  73.4 KB

Elementa - I believe this sign was put up sometime in 2022, but surprise surprise doesn't look like it has started.
    Name:  IMG_1863.jpg
Size:  152.1 KB

Petit Bateau - Maybe work has started? Hopefully progress will be made and doesn't sit like this for another year or couple of years like some of the other projects on this list.
    Name:  IMG_1865.jpg
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_1866.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  45.6 KB

Midtown West - Has any additional phases been scrapped? Haven't heard anything about this for years.
    Name:  IMG_1867.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  44.0 KB
    Name:  IMG_1868.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  35.6 KB

Building in Chinatown demolished. Takes us forever to build but so fast to demolish.
    Name:  IMG_1871.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  67.5 KB

Mariners Inn Expansion - Some progress started.
    Name:  IMG_1874.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  56.7 KB

Third and Charlotte - Sure the related companies have proven themselves in NYC, but Detroit is a different market. Even the building next to Comerica Park was to start last month has yet started or been fenced off.
    Name:  IMG_1869.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  61.5 KB

Sorry for being so negative but a lot of these Midtown projects [[and projects around the city) really need to move along.

The photo update is appreciated. You're right, it seems like a lot of projects have been quietly scrapped, or at least significantly delayed. It feels like the 'momentum' that was building from 2018-2020ish is gone. Hopefully it's just a speedbump from inflated costs/interest rates, but who knows.

Corktown seems to be the only neighborhood where developments are announced and completed in a reasonable timeframe.

CODA: I'm bummed about this one. It was a bold vision, but at least some of the condos had been pre-purchased as of a year or two ago. It's disappointing that they still can't make it work.

AC Hotel: Just thankful it's moving at all after 5+ years since its announcement.

City Club: So frustrating. I maintain that they should just build the project in phases. Start with the Target, since they've already signed an agreement. Do the residential after, if financing is still an issue.

Brush + Watson: I'm almost positive that they built a foundation where the middle tower is supposed to go. Maybe it'll start when the side buildings are fully complete.

For everything else, I'll believe 'em when I see 'em.

Same for Related Companies. I thought their involvement would lead to success, but the new District is now 0/2 on scheduled groundbreakings. The UM DCI building has $100M in state funds tied to breaking ground this year, so maybe that still happens? Can't say I'm confident though, given the lack of action everywhere else.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast