Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    blksoul_x Guest

Default 'White Skin Privilege', from a white perspective....

Tim Wise, [[a white guy) is a notable author and anti-racist speaker. Many white people and their apologist back-off a debate about one of amerikkkas' longest running contradictions, and that is, the automatic access of many immunities and opportunities due to simply being white-skinned.

It is common to hear Black activist, nationalist, and anti-racist speak in profound fashion on the subject of WSP, [[white skin privilege). In the video below, Wise, profoundly drives home those Black sentiments in his own 'white experience', [[not just talk), the invisible legacy of what many amerikkkans' REFUSE, or don't want to ADMIT to believe exist, and that is idea of 'white skin privilege'.

[[the video is almost a full hour, but it is worth a look!)

Click on below...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UJlNRODZHA

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

How have you been blksoul-x ?, I haven't been around much since the format change, good to see some things haven't changed. :~)
    That is an interesting look at things,
    ...and I hope you enjoy this just as much, although not nearly as long?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fc2_1247608341&p=1

I saw Tim a year or so ago at Creighton University. His presentation was entertaining and enlightening. On occasion, he was a little glib for my taste. I hope he is not targeted by right wing hate groups that are on the rise.

He is doing important work. The idea of talking to whites about white skin privilege isn't new. I knew many white working class folks who spoke of it in the Detroit metro area in the late 60s and early 70s.

Specifically People Against Racism [[PAR) did it in the late 60s. The Interfaith Centers for Racial Justice did it in Detroit’s suburbs following the uprisings of the late 60's and the Kerner Commission Report.

White skin privilege still exists today as does institutional racism. Some, but not all, working class whites see it. The concept is more often interpreted as a way to lay universal white blame and guilt than it is to explain an unfair and unjust phenomenon that exists. As a result, it is something those who want to perpetuate the status quo can use to keep folks divided.

The Kerner Commission report if reread today would both enlighten and enrage folks.

“What white Americans have never fully understood but what the Negro can never forget—is that white society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it.” From the introduction to the “National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders,” 1968

In a recession it is now difficult for everyone. And while recognizing it is still harder on people of color, it is better to unite and build serious power for positive change. Regardless of color or class we’d be all better off if we really understood the following quote.

“If you have come to help me you are wasting your time. But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together.” Aboriginal activists group, Queensland, 1970s

ccbatson Guest

How is this not racism in reverse? Follow MLK and strive to disregard the color of a person's skin and focus on the person's character.

I liked the bit about never hearing the term "overprivileged" used. The "Black Pill" argument was good too.

Here's a Tim Wise interview from March of this year: Between Barack and a Hard Place.

ccbatson Guest

Interesting that this is acceptable racism [[by liberals anyway)

Someone please take the time to explain how and why the phrase "reverse racism" is a misnomer.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; August-31-09 at 06:49 PM. Reason: edit

UFO Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    Tim Wise, [[a white guy) is a notable author and anti-racist speaker. Many white people and their apologist back-off a debate about one of amerikkkas' longest running contradictions, and that is, the automatic access of many immunities and opportunities due to simply being white-skinned.

It is common to hear Black activist, nationalist, and anti-racist speak in profound fashion on the subject of WSP, [[white skin privilege). In the video below, Wise, profoundly drives home those Black sentiments in his own 'white experience', [[not just talk), the invisible legacy of what many amerikkkans' REFUSE, or don't want to ADMIT to believe exist, and that is idea of 'white skin privilege'.

[[the video is almost a full hour, but it is worth a look!)

Click on below...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UJlNRODZHA

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!

So, while I agree with Wise %99 of his arguments. The remaining %1 of his argument being racist because he specifically targets whites only in every single one of his arguments I have seen completely ignoring actual history.
    But neverthelelss, this is about America and white privilege.

Riddle me this genius. What is the answer?? What happens when "white privilege" is dismantled?
    And how do you go about dismantling this so called white privilege?

Who gains from dismantling white priviege and who loses?

Tim Wise is correct there is white privilege, and its just part of the puzzle.

There is also male privilege, heterosexual privilege, religious privilege, in this country. The list goes on and on of all of the privileges that are given to people not because of what they do or can do, but because of the issues of who they are categorically as a person.

Everyone is a bit biased to a certain degree, it is the level of bias that matters, and it is not dependent on race, just human nature. In this day and age among rational thinking adults behind any closed door the mere notion of mistreating a person based on race is totally unacceptable. In my experience anyway.

Best way to put out a fire is stop throwing fuel on it. If you're one color and a person of a different color is unkind to you, race doesn't have anything to do with it, the person is just a jerk. A lot of people are jerks. And that goes both ways.

Responding to a jerk with more jerk like behavior solves nothing. A little kindness goes a long way. Be bigger. Be stronger. Be respected.

Ignore this Wise person he is just a shit stirrer.

ccbatson Guest

You are not wrong Vet...I was being nice...it is plain racism.

OK, here goes, from someone who has made civil rights a lifetime career.

What is "reverse racism?" It is an interesting term, being that it acknowledges on the one hand that racism is white against black, while decrying it when it is seen as something to benefit blacks rather than whites.

As such it is not racism practiced by blacks against whites, but policies instituted and practiced by the institutions that usually favored whites, to benefit blacks.

In my lengthy career, I have seen racism against whites, much much more racism against blacks. Racism is always practiced by one group against another. In what is called "reverse racism," policies are instituted by the overwhelmingly white systems to reverse generations of discrimination against blacks. Now here come the whites who continue to have their traditional privileges, screaming that giving similar privileges to blacks is "reverse racism."

I stand ready to take your comments and questions. Abuse and ridicule will be ignored.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-31-09 at 08:04 PM.

ccbatson Guest

Yet, still racism....correct?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post

What is "reverse racism?" It is an interesting term, being that it acknowledges on the one hand that racism is white against black, while decrying it when it is seen as something to benefit blacks rather than whites.

As such it is not racism practiced by blacks against whites, but policies instituted and practiced by the institutions that usually favored whites, to benefit blacks.

In my lengthy career, I have seen racism against whites, much much more racism against blacks. Racism is always practiced by one group against another. In what is called "reverse racism," policies are instituted by the overwhelmingly white systems to reverse generations of discrimination against blacks. Now here come the whites who continue to have their traditional privileges, screaming that giving similar privileges to blacks is "reverse racism."

I stand ready to take your comments and questions. Abuse and ridicule will be ignored.
    So how is it to be determined that a balance has been reached? And why is the only racism that ever seems to be recognized is white v black or white v XXX?

This was something I ran into while reading about the hijab case just filed against Callahan's court. A few years ago there were two hijab wearing Islamic blacks who claim they were denied employment at a Dearborn McDonald's due to their wearing hijab...I don't know the race of ownership, but what if the ownership was Islamic Middle Eastern and the discrimination wasn't against hijab but rather against black? Just as in the recent case the national media played it as a case of religious discrimination...but it was a halal McDonald's.
    Last edited by lilpup; August-31-09 at 08:14 PM.

No. Read it again, CC. Racism is always from one race to another. This is one race adding privileges to a different race to equal privileges given to its members.

Each such policy has its own set of goals and measurements as a requirement. It would be a wonderful thing to have it studied among all the policies to see which are reaching balance. I know we are not there yet, but much much closer than when I started on this path.

Racism is still racism, regardless of the color of the perpetrator's skin.

Racism is as old as humankind, no one tribe of humans have a monopoly on the practice.

It is who the perpetrator is discriminating against that is key. In this case, it is policies instituted by whites to benefit blacks. These policies are seen by whites as discrimination against whites. It is not whites discriminating against blacks, nor is it blacks discriminating against white. Therefore, not racism. These policies were instituted to counter racism.

It is true that there is no reverse racism, because racism is always racism, no matter who is doing it.

I can see a policy steering to far over the line being discriminatory as in, a company always refusing to hire white men because [[name any reason, to high pay, too aggressive, don't need them...). That would be discriminatory. There could be reasons that supposedly are beneficial to the company, but investigation could determine whether those reasons actually hold water. I feel a story coming on about cases I have known, so I will quit there, but I have investigated more than a few such issues.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-31-09 at 08:32 PM.

Lorax Guest

[quote=Sstashmoo;62849

Ignore this Wise person he is just a shit stirrer.[/quote]

How does it feel to have your job outsourced?

Lilpup, there are many avenues to discrimination, not all having to do with race. The Michigan Elliot-Larsen Civil Rights Act prohibits discrimination because of religion, race, color, national origin, age, sex, height, weight, familial status, or marital status; or arrest record not resulting in conviction.

In the Halal/hijab case, without seeing the facts, I would head for the sex discrimination and religious discrimination angle, and if the owner was not black, race also. I have seen cases where the owner might argue that his customers would object. In those cases, some education is provided for him to assist with customers' perceptions.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-31-09 at 08:43 PM.

Institutional racism can only be perpetrated by the majority race in power.

Those who cry out "reverse racism" are simply majority members who don't want to lose their power.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Those who cry out "reverse racism" are simply majority members who don't want to lose their power.
    Why do you mock the fringe[[further more by the day) Republican Party?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post

Since we've been talking about Tim here's his take on it

http://www.raceandhistory.com/selfne...3,80611,.shtml

I believe Tim Wise is truly one of the more important voices out there discussing race and race related issues. His web site has some very good blogs and articles that if one reads with an open mind it can give you a greater understanding of race.

http://www.timwise.org/

I have heard that argument before, that racism is about power, so only those who have power can be racist. The extension, that the use of racial slurs has to be dehumanizing, while terms used by blacks against whites are not strong enough, is dangerous in my opinion.

Such terms foster a sense of outrage, a sense that it is OK to hate another race. Even if the hater has no power to affect the major race, he or she does have the power to hurt an individual. Fostering hatred can increase that power. As we continue to break down barriers, power of that community increases, and there will come a time when they can hurt the community of the hated race. Witness our unlamented former Detroit City Council members who openly admitted to discriminatory animus against whites and were applauded for doing so. No one challenged them. That is racism with the power to hurt and control.

D@mn you're good gazhekwe! Exceptional descriptions and background. You indeed described some of the hows and whys of racism, and refuted the "reverse racism" misnomer. Thank you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast