Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Center for Innovation gets a new name, development shakeup

Update on the U-M Innovation Center, it has a new name now, it will officially be called the University of Michigan Center for Innovation. In addition, Stephen Ross' Related Cos. is no longer developing the project and the university will take over. One final note, the university also stated they are still planning to renovate the Rackham Building in Midtown.
    UM's Detroit Center for Innovation gets a new name, development shakeup

The proposed Detroit Center for Innovation has a new name: The University of Michigan Center for Innovation.

That's not the only change for the $250 million, 200,000-square-foot facility expected to break ground this year on Ilitch family-owned property west of the Fox Theatre.

Stephen Ross' New York City-based Related Cos. is no longer developing the property, and the university is now taking the lead on designing and building it, akin to how it built the business school in Ann Arbor that bears the developer's name. And its academic and programmatic offerings are being expanded beyond graduate studies to fields like robotics, computer science and technology, UM said in a Monday release.Geoffrey Chatas, executive vice president and CFO for UM, said in the release that by taking the lead on construction, the university can tailor it to "its specifications, needs and academic and community programming."

It's not known why that change is being made now. UM declined to make an official available for an interview.

The innovation center is also now planning to offer things like "talent-based community development and community engagement," the release says. Things like workforce training, professional development and certificate programs are also planned.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ter-innovation

Enough with the shake up. Name the place and start building.

Stephen Ross/Related Cos not developing the innovation center is a significant change. I wonder if Ross/Related is still providing the $100 million funding for the center?

It’s a nice project. I’m just hoping they don’t cheapen it and change the look of it for something else entirely, as often happens. It’s edgy!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    ... It’s edgy!
    No kidding. That building's shape really plays tricks with a sense of perspective.

It's, ahem, innovative.

It’s a nice project. I’m just hoping they don’t cheapen it and change the look of it for something else entirely, as often happens. It’s edgy!
    It'ugly. I hope they do change the look.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    It'ugly. I hope they do change the look.

lol. Ugly is in the eye of the beholdened…

I think you meant "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

Anyway, when are we supposed to have non-ceremonial shovels in the ground on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by angry_fred View Post
    I think you meant "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder"

Anyway, when are we supposed to have non-ceremonial shovels in the ground on this one?
    You called another thread that was discussing the very same question you asked here a troll thread and asked the monitors to lock it down .

Too edgy for some, apparently. I think if it’s built as it looks in the rendering [[note I didn’t say “render”) it will become an iconic landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Too edgy for some, apparently. I think if it’s built as it looks in the rendering [[note I didn’t say “render”) it will become an iconic landmark.
    It doesn't look too bad. But sometimes iconic buildings leave an unintended legacy. The old NBD HQ, later known as the Chase Tower and now as The Cube... has always been labeled by local preservationists as "The Cheese Grater"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    No kidding. That building's shape really plays tricks with a sense of perspective.

It's, ahem, innovative.

It Looks like the bow of a cruise ship that sunk into the ground.

It also has an eerie resemblance to the British MarkV tank from the First World War.

No doubt Olympia wanted to hold off until after the Thanksgiving day Lions game. This is going to be built on their largest surface parking lot south of 75 and I'm sure they wanted to squeeze a few thousamd more dollars out of their lovely asphant before it goes. Hopefully it will also cover the ugly "giant face" mural they painted on the back side of The Loyal Order of the Moose building...

"A groundbreaking ceremony for the University of Michigan Center for Innovation is set for Dec. 14. UM President Santa Ono on Tuesday morning sent out notice of the official start of construction on the $250 million graduate school facility near Midtown Detroit. It says there will be a 3 p.m. ceremony with speakers that include Ono, UM Board of Regents Chair Sarah Hubbard, Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan and others. "

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ing-set-dec-14

I'm invoking a skipper's rule here.

They needed to break ground by end of year or they lost $100 million in state funding. The groundbreaking will be nice, but I'll truly believe this is happening if/when actual legit construction starts.

We've had other groundbreakings that never led to anything or took forever...Monroe block, Hudson's, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    I'm invoking a skipper's rule here.

They needed to break ground by end of year or they lost $100 million in state funding. The groundbreaking will be nice, but I'll truly believe this is happening if/when actual legit construction starts.

We've had other groundbreakings that never led to anything or took forever...Monroe block, Hudson's, etc.
    Sad but I thought the same thing.

See: Hudson's thread posts about "just pushing dirt around" and you can probably insert them here, except with merit.