Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I've always marveled at the fantastic food deals that they advertise. But then I've often wondered how many people actually go to these places to eat. Yes, I know "businessmen" go in there to discuss "business" but how can one enjoy that fabulous $3.99 steak dinner with a half naked woman twirling her wares within a few yards of you? And in mid-dance, can they pass you the A1 Steak Sauce?

Always interesting places indeed.

But then I've often wondered how many people actually go to these places to eat. Yes, I know "businessmen" go in there to discuss "business" but how can one enjoy that fabulous $3.99 steak dinner with a half naked woman twirling her wares within a few yards of you?

I used to go to them to eat all the time. Food was great at many places. Better than some other restaurants.

I was skeptical of the food until I tried it as well. Then once I tried it, I agreed with the comment of it being as good as some restaurants. Mmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I used to go to them to eat all the time. Food was great at many places. Better than some other restaurants.
    I'm not questioning the quality of the food at all. I see them advertising the four star quality of the food and the chefs in the Metro Times ads all the time. I'm just wondering how one dines in the midst of... uh, the entertainment. It just seems like an awkward moment to me but then I've never tried to eat a nice porterhouse steak with a half naked woman swaying over me either.

It must be an experience!

as someone mentioned,, it was the Royal Coach in the early 70s-- I remember those large JBL monitors hanging by chains from the celing .. --There was the half wall near the bar where you could also sit

remember the Silent Woman on 8 mile ?? That area past Woodward had a few nice clubs

what was the place way out 8 mile under the overpass where the dancers were all nude,,and you could not drink alcohol

>>>Ahhh, the good ol' days...

The Duchess on 7 Mi. was a trip with all its pink neon outside and '70s wood and brass decor inside. Then, just to jack up the fun a bit more, they went and painted the place bright yellow. For all that gaudiness, the dancers often looked half-asleep.

Pointe Athletic Club is the place where a dancer once kicked me in the head for paying more attention to the Tigers game on TV than her frankly not all that attractive dancing.

Benson's Boobs Galore had a great name, but was a pit, and uncomfortably like watching your cousins dance half-naked around your aunt and uncle's not-very-clean basement rec room.
    <<<

Love it. Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by alkiwat View Post
    what was the place way out 8 mile under the overpass where the dancers were all nude,,and you could not drink alcohol
    I believe you're referring to the Dizzy Duck which was over the Lodge/ Greenfield/ Eight Mile over pass. One could see the sign as you went eastbound Eight Mile.

My friends and I used to try and find the nastiest strip clubs we could find for shits and giggles as well as the photo op, always a good time.I used to call it slumming.

.Pic #1. This pic is a time exposure of several seconds, thats me in the background mirror taking the pic, my camera on the bar discretely taking pics, thats my homeboy next to me. The girls were actually really nice, they let me back stage and take a few pics as I vaguely, hazily remember.
    Pic #2. This peeler I found at a dirty little club in New Orleans hanging out front.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice.
    You're very lucky to have had the foresight to capture those memories.
    P.s. Yer homeboy doesn't look that interested...multi day Bukowski bender?

I remember the Silent Woman. Don't think I was ever in the Dizzy Duck. The Duchess was a true pig-sty, complete with dancing sows.

Siloz and Trumps were my two hangouts. Then the Landing Strip in Romulus and BTs on Michigan.

Apparently they are remodeling the dutchess, as they have been doing alot of work on the building lately.

Wasn't it called Mr. L's Silent Woman or something?

The Last Chance was to that corner what the Willis Show Bar/Anderson's Gardens was to the Cass corrridor - Just a crowded smoky bar bar with every hooker in the area walking thru the doors at one time or another ---- Fun times!!

Silent Woman Silohs and and Trummps had nice looking ladies - Those were classy places-- if one can use that word to describe a topless bar -- Never went to BT's In Dearborn[probably the only one I missed] but the Booby Trap on 8 mile and John R I did make it to---- Is that still there[along with the place just down John R from BT's

I remember as a kid going to visit my grandparents and we used to take Michigan Ave. There were two strip clubs/gogo bars on Michigan Ave.
    1) south side of Michigan just west of Clark St
    2) north side of Michigan between Martin and Livernois. I remember the torches with the burning flames on the outside of the building.

Anyone remember the names of these places?

was it the Centerfold?

that's it -- Thanks --- That was a dive,, even for topless./nude bars

sounds familiar -- Was that on Van Dyke, or out in Dearborn

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    From the other thread:
    The Silent Woman was very near Siloz on 8 mile. Both were typically a higher class topless club. Is this the club you can't remember?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    eastsideAl - I think that place on JohnR was called Centerfolds. East side of the street about a quarter mile south of 8 Mile. As far as having a gun to your head in River Rouge...it's always surprising how much clarity can come at such moments. Sort of like a colon cleanse for the soul.
    Yes, it was the Centerfold Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Anyone remember the drumsticks at Biscoes? Janice or Joanne?
    How about Cafe Chablis , by City Airport on Six Mile?
    Biscos was a dump but the girls were very friendly in there.. haha. I liked it. I used to go the nearby M&M Srimp Shack from there. Great chicken..

Quote Originally Posted by RYANGUARD View Post
    Drove down Davison from Van Dyke to Mound and saw that Bensons Boobs Galore AKA Sassy Sandys is no more.The Building is gone....
    Benson's was a dump. Right near the railroad tracks, But they were all fun in their own way .

Quote Originally Posted by caspermi View Post
    Worked in Highland Park for a few years and remember going to the Club Manchester and Tender Trap for lunch. Mayor Blackwell had his own table at the Club Manchester, he was a regular. Was in the Tender Trap with some coworkers for lunch and the girls were selling raffle tickets. I asked what the prize was and she said some "fun" upstairs.
    Club Manchester and The Tender Trap were actually pretty nice clubs. But the surrounding area was never the best.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast