Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I don't think those clubs ever close. They just change names.

Mocambos was the first place I ever went. A friend took me when I turned 18. I met the female proprieter you mentioned. on that trip.

Ah, it practically brings tears to the eyes of your kindly old Professor, reminiscing about the days when he was young, single and stupid enough to blow his stack of cash in such wonderful old dives.

We recall the Please Station on Seven Mile just west of Van Dyke, which was perhaps the worst strip club in the history of the world, but the owner was a neat old guy. The women were sort of comically ugly, and there were never more than three or four people in the place.

Then you had the "Zoo" on Eight Mile not too far from the fairgrounds, a little bit east I seem to recall, where your friends could pay to have you mud-wrestle in your underwear with the ladies. The announcer, DJ or whatever you'd call it, was a scream, he would tell you which college this or that dancer was attending, for instance "gentlemen, please be generous in tipping the lovely Shondra, she needs the money for her sophomore year at Wayne State", whereas Shondra had actually attended Wayne State thirty years prior.

The Foxes Den was the name, I think, of the dump on Livernois not too far from Davison, south of Davison if I recall correctly. They had a pool table, which was nice, because your Prof in those days was a bit of a hustler and could use the pool table to raise the money for the rest of the evening's festivities. The dancers would get irked because if there was a hockey game on [[which there often was), most of us would be watching it and not them. The game was more interesting.

Then there was Sassy Sandy's on east Davison near Mound, and the Sax Club on McNichols not far from Hamilton, one of those lovely establishments where you could use the standard dive topless bar formula to estimate a dancer's age [[count the teeth and subtract from fifty). The Sax promoted itself as the "oldest" topless club in the City, to which the Prof adds: no doubt.

I can almost see a dissertation here for a Ph. D. student in sociology. Fascinating times, they were.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Then you had the "Zoo" on Eight Mile not too far from the fairgrounds, a little bit east I seem to recall, where your friends could pay to have you mud-wrestle in your underwear with the ladies. The announcer, DJ or whatever you'd call it, was a scream, he would tell you which college this or that dancer was attending, for instance "gentlemen, please be generous in tipping the lovely Shondra, she needs the money for her sophomore year at Wayne State", whereas Shondra had actually attended Wayne State thirty years prior.

The Foxes Den was the name, I think, of the dump on Livernois not too far from Davison, south of Davison if I recall correctly. They had a pool table, which was nice, because your Prof in those days was a bit of a hustler and could use the pool table to raise the money for the rest of the evening's festivities. The dancers would get irked because if there was a hockey game on [[which there often was), most of us would be watching it and not them. The game was more interesting.
    Was The Zoo around in the mid 80s?

And I seem to recall a real dive on southbound John R near Remington.

The Foxes establishment rings a bell as well. West side of Livernois correct? Open in the early 90s?

I recall 1 or 2 establishments in the little triangle bordered by 8 Mile, Greenfield Road, and the Lodge Freeway. Circa 80s. Dangerous.

Vetaalumni,

Was The Zoo around in the mid 80s? Yes.

Southbound John R near Remington: I don't recall that one.

Foxes: West side of Livernois is correct, and probably open in the early 1990s, though I was out of the loop by then.

Eight/Greenfield/Lodge, I seem to recall a nude no-booze joint called the Dizzy Duck or some such thing, but that's the only one I recall, and I'm not sure I ever actually was in there. Looked dangerous.

Prof. Scott

Our regulars were Mocambo's and Patio "Table Top Revue" at Hubbell and 8 mile. We saw Evil Knievel at Mocambo's with his 'entourage' [[3 or 4 others!) one night.

A strange fave - Dirty Harry's on Michigan around Lonyo. They had drumsticks, too! Not wings!