Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

When I was a kid, they spoke of a place called "Receiving Hospital" which I gather was run by the city and was not well thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    I was born at New Grace Hospital on 7 Mile and Meyers. It was closed and torn down, replaced by a Super Kmart, now Home Depot.
    This was were I was born as well.

9mile&seneca Guest

Throughout the great healthcare debate I have often thought about the family doctor we had that delivered me, and was our respected family go to guy for anything medical. A wonderful guy named Stanley Reuter. His office was on 9 mile right next to Dave's Party Store. And he must have been reasonably priced, or we sure couldn't have afforded to see him. I maintain that this is not a threadjack, because he perfomed some procedures in his office,making it a de-facto hospital in the metropolitan area.
    Last edited by 9mile&seneca; September-05-09 at 10:14 AM.

Does anyone have before and after pics that they can post?

Very interesting post. I believe that Women's Hospital was always called that.
    Then there was St. Joseph Hospital on E. Grand Blvd, torn down for Poletown plant work. And Ardmore Hospital in Ferndale There was also a Jennings Hospital on E. Jefferson and a sort of mental hospital on the avenue, also [[ in the mid l960s)

Sumas, Doctors Hospital was in an old Jefferson Ave. mansion. When the hospital closed the owner decided to tear down the mansion and build a shopping center [[near Stroh River Place).

Another old hospital was the Naval hospital at the foot of Alter Road near the Grosse Pointe Park border, but I don't recall the name.

Another old hospital which was torn down decades before most of us were born [[except for Ray1936!) was called Hurley Hospital on West Adams Ave on W. Grand Circus Park. It was a 7 story brown brick building that was located where that parking lot is today between the Kales Building and the Fine Arts Building facade. Some of the old Sanford maps incorrectly list it as "Shurley Hospital". It was located formerly located to the right of the Kales Building in this pic....

You're thinking of the U.S. Marine Hospital. The address was 3770 E. Jefferson.

Other old hospitals include:
    Boulevard Maternity Hospital, 339 W. Grand Blvd.
    Coolidge Hospital, 1813 S. Fort
    Lincoln Hospital, 1051 25th
    Marr Hospital, 3966 Trumbull
    Pingree General, 10049 Grand River
    Chenik Hospital, 3105 Carpenter
    Delray Industrial Hospital, 7125 W. Jefferson
    Detroit Osteopathic Hospital [[HP) 188 Highland Avenue
    East Side Hospital, 2199 Cadillac Blvd.
    Fernwood Hospital, 3818 Northwestern
    Grace Hospital, 4160 John R, AND 277 W. Grand Blvd.
    Mercy Hospital, 668 Winder
    Woman's Hospital, 443 E. Forest Ave.

277 W Grand Blvd was the Miriam Memorial Branch of Grace Hospital, formerly Hubbard's home called Vinewood.

You guys and gals with your lust for research never cease to amaze me.

Q: Would William Booth Memorial Hospital, 130 W Grand Blvd. [[circa 1928) have anything to do with the Salvation Army?

As of 1928-29, 2201 E. Jefferson was listed as Jefferson Clinic and Diagnostic Hospital. I don't know if they used the same building. Also, Dr. Blain rests peacefully at Elmwood. I don't know his specialization, but evidently, he liked birds http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...54260188&df=1&

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    You guys and gals with your lust for research never cease to amaze me.
    If someone would pay us to do this, we could quit our "real" jobs & everything would be cherry!
    Last edited by kathy2trips; July-01-10 at 07:03 PM. Reason: more info

Default WM. Booth Memorial Hospital on W. Grand Blvd.

Yes, the Booth Memorial Hosp. on W. Grand Blvd. was owned by the Salvation Army. SA Booth Memorial Hospitals primarily served unwed mothers with many locations across the Nation. My family took exception to the rule though when in Nov, 1957/58 my little sister Sue was born there. We lived across the street, Mom went into labor and no time to get her to a different hospital!

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Q: Would William Booth Memorial Hospital, 130 W Grand Blvd. [[circa 1928) have anything to do with the Salvation Army?

As of 1928-29, 2201 E. Jefferson was listed as Jefferson Clinic and Diagnostic Hospital. I don't know if they used the same building. Also, Dr. Blain rests peacefully at Elmwood. I don't know his specialization, but evidently, he liked birds http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...54260188&df=1&

If someone would pay us to do this, we could quit our "real" jobs & everything would be cherry!

Did I read here that Saratoga is closed? My brother was born there and I left my appendix there. I was on a ship in the North Atlantic when my daughter was born in St Joseph. I seem to remember that it was on the Blvd, east side. I guess it was given up when then built the Poletown car plant. Anyone remember it?

Yes, Saratoga Hospital closed - don't remember when. The building is currently an urgent care center - whatever that is. Before that it was some sort of mental health facility- "Circle of Life" if my memory serves me.

I don't remember St. Joseph, but this list of hospitals from 1967 has St. Joseph Mercy Hospital at 2200 E. Grand Blvd.
    Last edited by Brock7; July-02-10 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Brock 7!
    I was born in Detroit Osteopathic in Highland Park. Can anyone tell me what the address was and if the building is still there?

Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    Thanks Brock 7!
    I was born in Detroit Osteopathic in Highland Park. Can anyone tell me what the address was and if the building is still there?
    kathy2trips post gives the address as Detroit Osteopathic Hospital [[HP) 188 Highland Avenue. The hospital list from '67 gives an address around the corner - 12523 3rd [[Highland Park).

Bing maps shows a large building there with cars in the parking lot, but detroitbob66 posted: "I have been inside and photographed a couple....
    The Detroit Osteopathic Hospital on Second Ave in Highland Park"

I was born in North Detroit General.

Receiving [[now Detroit Receiving) used to be where the DPD took all of their gunshot victims, at least as far back as the '70s. The location now is in the DMC area but was originally down in the Greektown area. It was the premiere triage hospital in the area way back when

Old Detroit Receiving Hospital was at 1400 St. Antoine, directly across the street from what is now the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice. In its prime in the fifties and sixties, it had some of the finest ER physicians you could ask for. Police officers used to say -- very seriously -- if I need a hernia operation, don't take me to Receiving. If I get shot, PLEASE take me to Receiving.

There was another privately owned hospital directly south of it, at 1300 St. Antoine. It was a catholic hospital...St. Something or other....but it closed about 1960. Was a very big old Victorian building. Anyone got a city directory c. 1959 or so to get the name?

Ray, Detroit Memorial was right next to Receiving back in the 60's and 70's; my sister went to nursing school there. Is that what you're thinking of?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Ray, Detroit Memorial was right next to Receiving back in the 60's and 70's; my sister went to nursing school there. Is that what you're thinking of?
    Yup. Don't know what the heck made me think it was a Catholic hospital; must have been thinking of Old Providence on the Boulevard when I visualized its image. But Detroit Memorial it was. Didn't know it was still open in the 70s, though; but my memory gets gaps from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup. Don't know what the heck made me think it was a Catholic hospital; must have been thinking of Old Providence on the Boulevard when I visualized its image. But Detroit Memorial it was. Didn't know it was still open in the 70s, though; but my memory gets gaps from time to time.
    My sis graduated high school in 1969 and she started at Memorial in about 71, so it was there until at least '73 or so

When did Saratoga close down? Left my tonsils and a cyst there, and watched my grandmother pass there.

Later in life, my first wife lived right to the side on State Fair, third house down. I just googled the place, looks like they took a couple more house, hers is the last one left on the north side.
    Last edited by mikefmich; July-04-10 at 05:06 PM. Reason: add

The 1928 Polk directory has St. Mary's Hospital north of Receiving across Clinton and Recorder's Court just to the south of Receiving Hospital. St. Mary's RC Church is on the se corner of Monroe and St. Antoine. There's a Psychopathic Clinic listed on the 3rd flr of the Recorder's Court building.

My mother went to Saratoga ER for a sprained ankle sometime in the mid 90's. I was receiving their newsletter for a few years after she died in '98, although at some point through there they became part of the St. John Health Care system.
    Last edited by Brock7; July-04-10 at 07:05 PM.

Holy Cross on Outer Drive and Van Dyke just closed recently closed. It's now a nursing home. It was also one of St. John's Hospitals. I believe it closed around the same time Riverview Hospital closed.

Saratoga closed as a regular hospital sometime in the mid/late 90s. In its last days, it also became one of St. John's hospitals. After closing, much of the building was closed off while dotors that were affiliated with St. John moved into the old emergency wing. Today, a portion of the building is used as a mental institution [[Behavorial Centers of America own and operate the building).

There was a hospital on jefferson not too far from downtown...a 2 or 3 story light colored brick building...I was a patient there in the early 70's. I believe it was called Riverside.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast