Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Hybrid View

Renaissance High School is now on the former site of Sinai Hospital on W. Outer Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Renaissance High School is now on the former site of Sinai Hospital on W. Outer Drive.
    Actually, Renaissance High School is on the site of the old Detroit Catholic Central High School.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishSpartan View Post
    Actually, Renaissance High School is on the site of the old Detroit Catholic Central High School.
    I don't know where you're getting your information from but old Catholic High School is still standing on Outer Drive, it's now called the Foreign Language Immersion and Cultural Studies School [[K-8). Like I said, Renaissance High is built on the former site of the Sinai Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I don't know where you're getting your information from but old Catholic High School is still standing on Outer Drive, it's now called the Foreign Language Immersion and Cultural Studies School [[K-8). Like I said, Renaissance High is built on the former site of the Sinai Hospital.
    Renaissance High occupied the former Catholic Central building from 1978 until the building on the old Sinai Hospital site was opened in 2005.

Default Kirwood General Hospital

Kirwood General Hospital was originally located on E. Kirby in Detroit and later moved to Davidson St. It was founded by Dr. Guy Saulsberry, a Howard Univ. Medical School graduate in 1943. The hospital closed in the mid 70's.

http://losthospital.com/kirwood-general-hospital/

North Oakland Medical Center in Pontiac closed in 2008 only to be purchased by a group of physicians and re-opened a couple of weeks later as Doctor's Hospital of Michigan. The closing and re-opening were done with pretty big fanfare, but I haven't seen much about whether it's been successful.

Yes, I worked at North Detroit General which changed name to Greater Detroit Hospital when the drowned Dr. bought it. He actually re-opened it since it had been closed for several years. Damn what was his name?

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Yes, I worked at North Detroit General which changed name to Greater Detroit Hospital when the drowned Dr. bought it. He actually re-opened it since it had been closed for several years. Damn what was his name?
    There was a lot of hope and optimism when he reopened it, and for a time it was a pretty good place. It seems as soon as he died, though, the place went into the crapper.

Forgot about these two Nankin Hospital in Wayne and Ridgewood in Superior TWP.

Those two closed long ago, Yet I would not have known that there were that many hospitals around.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Forgot about these two Nankin Hospital in Wayne and Ridgewood in Superior TWP.

Not superior twp, that is in washt co ___________ no one mentioned [[or did they?) the hospital built in the eighties at Connor and I-94

Lincoln Hospital on 25th and W. Lafayette, closed in the 60's. Was owned and run by Jewish Dr.s who were not permitted to practice in some other larger hospitals. I was told.

I'm looking for photos of Lincoln Hospital on 25th and Howard. Also of the building that was just south of it, formerly the Boulevard Sanitarium.

Lynn Hospital on Outer Drive, west of Fort Street in Lincoln Park closed many years ago. It was torn down. Some ministry bought the property to build a church, but nothing has sprouted but weeds. Also many years ago Outer Drive Hospital [[part of the old PCHA) was closed and purchased by Vencor for use as facility for the terminally ill. It is located on Outer Drive east of Fort Street also in Lincoln Park.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Lynn Hospital on Outer Drive, west of Fort Street in Lincoln Park closed many years ago. It was torn down. Some ministry bought the property to build a church, but nothing has sprouted but weeds. Also many years ago Outer Drive Hospital [[part of the old PCHA) was closed and purchased by Vencor for use as facility for the terminally ill. It is located on Outer Drive east of Fort Street also in Lincoln Park.
    Lynn Hospital was part of Oakwood prior to closing and being torn down.
    That church has the land for sale now. It's now back on the tax rolls so that the city is now getting tax dollars from it.

Vencor Hospital is now part of Vibra Healthcare. It's been Outer Drive, Vencor, Kindred and now Vibra.

What other hospitals were part of the Peoples Community Hospital Association? Or was it Authority? My girlfriends dad worked for them prior to going to Oakwood where he was their CEO prior to retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    Lynn Hospital was part of Oakwood prior to closing and being torn down.
    That church has the land for sale now. It's now back on the tax rolls so that the city is now getting tax dollars from it.

Vencor Hospital is now part of Vibra Healthcare. It's been Outer Drive, Vencor, Kindred and now Vibra.

What other hospitals were part of the Peoples Community Hospital Association? Or was it Authority? My girlfriends dad worked for them prior to going to Oakwood where he was their CEO prior to retirement.
    I think it was Authority.
    Seaway
    Heritage
    Annapolis
    Beyer
    Outer Drive

My dad worked at Lynn from the mid 70's until 1981. It was owned by Dr. Al Alexander and Dr. Ericson. It had been bleeding money for many years before they finally gave it up.

Connor, 94 was Samaritan Hospital. I worked there too. Mmm, everywhere I worked seems to have closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Connor, 94 was Samaritan Hospital. I worked there too. Mmm, everywhere I worked seems to have closed down.
    Before that it was Mercy Hospital [[which was a division of Henry Ford).

North Detroit General was co-owned by Dr. Orekonde Ganesh, who drowned in his car in July 1996. http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4462

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    North Detroit General was co-owned by Dr. Orekonde Ganesh, who drowned in his car in July 1996. http://metrotimes.com/editorial/story.asp?id=4462
    Thank you for digging up his name.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    St. John Northeast/Holy Cross [[Outer Drive & Van Dyke).
    Holy Cross started as St. Francis Hospital in Hamtramck, which is now City Hall.

9mile&seneca Guest

Thanks, Thafuzz

Quote Originally Posted by 9mile&seneca View Post
    Thanks, Thafuzz
    Art Center is next to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I think they store [[or used to) some of the old historic records and stuff there. I was born there in 1956. It was an osteopathic hospital.
    Here's a little info and a picture I found"Attachment 2946

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Art Center is next to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I think they store [[or used to) some of the old historic records and stuff there. I was born there in 1956. It was an osteopathic hospital.
    Here's a little info and a picture I found"Attachment 2946
    Thanks for the pic. I had never seen the place in which I too was born in. All I ever knew was that I was born here and that it closed sometime later.

When did St. Francis move and become Holy Cross? [[Which is now a Triumph Hospital, I think.) Did they have nuns as nurses? You hardly ever see that anymore.

I was born at Holy Cross, while my cousins were born at either Bon Secours or Saratoga. Are they still around? There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!

It wasn't exactly in Detroit, but I was taken to Bi-County in an ambulance once. I can't remember where that was, though.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; September-04-09 at 12:05 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast