Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Was the Art Center Hospital the Old Bowen residence or the building next to it in the old post card?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    My husband was born at Art Center which I believe was originally called Woman's Hospital. My sisters were born at Deaconess, now long gone. My first real job was at Deaconess too. It was owned by my church and their associated members.

My dumb story for today. I was born at St Johns when it was very small. The nurses and most staff were Nuns. 1954 was the year of Mary as decreed by the pope. I was born on my Aunt May's birthday so my Mom gave me May as my middle name. The nun said Mary, how nice, my Mom said no May. It went back and forth. When my birth certificate arrived it stated Mary. So Mary is my legal middle name. Yuck!!!!!

Wasn't there a Doctors Hospital on Jefferson near Deaconess on the south side? It was a beautiful old building.
    I think Women's Hospital is Hutzel, not Art Center. According to what I posted, Art Centre was converted from someone's home into Art Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by DEEGEE View Post
    Was the Art Center Hospital the Old Bowen residence or the building next to it in the old post card?
    According to the clip I posted, the mansion was remodeled into the hospital and then it merged with Zeigler Osteopathic.

9mile&seneca Guest

Throughout the great healthcare debate I have often thought about the family doctor we had that delivered me, and was our respected family go to guy for anything medical. A wonderful guy named Stanley Reuter. His office was on 9 mile right next to Dave's Party Store. And he must have been reasonably priced, or we sure couldn't have afforded to see him. I maintain that this is not a threadjack, because he perfomed some procedures in his office,making it a de-facto hospital in the metropolitan area.
    Last edited by 9mile&seneca; September-05-09 at 10:14 AM.

Does anyone have before and after pics that they can post?

Thanks Eastsider!

Very interesting post. I believe that Women's Hospital was always called that.
    Then there was St. Joseph Hospital on E. Grand Blvd, torn down for Poletown plant work. And Ardmore Hospital in Ferndale There was also a Jennings Hospital on E. Jefferson and a sort of mental hospital on the avenue, also [[ in the mid l960s)

Sumas, Doctors Hospital was in an old Jefferson Ave. mansion. When the hospital closed the owner decided to tear down the mansion and build a shopping center [[near Stroh River Place).

Another old hospital was the Naval hospital at the foot of Alter Road near the Grosse Pointe Park border, but I don't recall the name.

Another old hospital which was torn down decades before most of us were born [[except for Ray1936!) was called Hurley Hospital on West Adams Ave on W. Grand Circus Park. It was a 7 story brown brick building that was located where that parking lot is today between the Kales Building and the Fine Arts Building facade. Some of the old Sanford maps incorrectly list it as "Shurley Hospital". It was located formerly located to the right of the Kales Building in this pic....

You're thinking of the U.S. Marine Hospital. The address was 3770 E. Jefferson.

Other old hospitals include:
    Boulevard Maternity Hospital, 339 W. Grand Blvd.
    Coolidge Hospital, 1813 S. Fort
    Lincoln Hospital, 1051 25th
    Marr Hospital, 3966 Trumbull
    Pingree General, 10049 Grand River
    Chenik Hospital, 3105 Carpenter
    Delray Industrial Hospital, 7125 W. Jefferson
    Detroit Osteopathic Hospital [[HP) 188 Highland Avenue
    East Side Hospital, 2199 Cadillac Blvd.
    Fernwood Hospital, 3818 Northwestern
    Grace Hospital, 4160 John R, AND 277 W. Grand Blvd.
    Mercy Hospital, 668 Winder
    Woman's Hospital, 443 E. Forest Ave.

You guys and gals with your lust for research never cease to amaze me.

Wasn't there an Alexander Blaine Hospital on Jefferson?

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    There was an Italian grocery store across the street from Saratoga, I wish I could remember the name of it. My dad got me some spumoni there when I got my tonsils taken out. Mmmmm!
    Was it Giglio's?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Art Center is next to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and I think they store [[or used to) some of the old historic records and stuff there. I was born there in 1956. It was an osteopathic hospital.
    Here's a little info and a picture I found"Attachment 2946
    Thanks for the pic. I had never seen the place in which I too was born in. All I ever knew was that I was born here and that it closed sometime later.

I have been inside and photographed a couple....

The Detroit Osteopathic Hospital on Second Ave in Highland Park

The Southwest Detroit Hospital off Michigan Ave

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Actually the said doctor's name is Dr. Moon and he didn't die in an auto accident, but was criminally indicted for improperly burning old hospital records on his farm in Livingston County.

The old hospital [[NDG) is now being converted into: a charter school, out patient clinic and a nursing home.
    Glad to see it is being converted. I knew nothing about the place until it was temporarily band-aided for the 8 Mile movie several [[ugh) years ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    Wasn't there an Alexander Blaine Hospital on Jefferson?
    According to this website, http://wayne.migenweb.net/wayhospitals.htm
    Alexander Blain Hospital was at 2201 E Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Actually the said doctor's name is Dr. Moon and he didn't die in an auto accident, but was criminally indicted for improperly burning old hospital records on his farm in Livingston County.

The old hospital [[NDG) is now being converted into: a charter school, out patient clinic and a nursing home.
    I really hope that happens but the work has been slow. They put new windows into one part of the building but the rest has been untouched. The former laundry facility for the hospital [[white painted building w. of the hospital) is still vacant and severely damaged. I heard that the city is giving them some difficulties, but that is only neighborhood hearsay. I seriously hope it comes to fruition, it would be a boon to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    Was it Giglio's?
    Started with an "L". Lambrusco's, Lombardi's...maybe?

Q: Would William Booth Memorial Hospital, 130 W Grand Blvd. [[circa 1928) have anything to do with the Salvation Army?

As of 1928-29, 2201 E. Jefferson was listed as Jefferson Clinic and Diagnostic Hospital. I don't know if they used the same building. Also, Dr. Blain rests peacefully at Elmwood. I don't know his specialization, but evidently, he liked birds http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...54260188&df=1&

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    You guys and gals with your lust for research never cease to amaze me.
    If someone would pay us to do this, we could quit our "real" jobs & everything would be cherry!
    Last edited by kathy2trips; July-01-10 at 07:03 PM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    According to the clip I posted, the mansion was remodeled into the hospital and then it merged with Zeigler Osteopathic.
    It's Zieger Osteopathic Hospital. The spelling on the postcard is wrong.
    I got curious the other night when a friend said she was born in Zieger Hospital at Michigan and Livernois in Detroit.

I found out that this Dr. Allen Zieger, who founded it, also founded Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills.

http://www.botsford.org/about/history/

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Lynn Hospital on Outer Drive, west of Fort Street in Lincoln Park closed many years ago. It was torn down. Some ministry bought the property to build a church, but nothing has sprouted but weeds. Also many years ago Outer Drive Hospital [[part of the old PCHA) was closed and purchased by Vencor for use as facility for the terminally ill. It is located on Outer Drive east of Fort Street also in Lincoln Park.
    Lynn Hospital was part of Oakwood prior to closing and being torn down.
    That church has the land for sale now. It's now back on the tax rolls so that the city is now getting tax dollars from it.

Vencor Hospital is now part of Vibra Healthcare. It's been Outer Drive, Vencor, Kindred and now Vibra.

What other hospitals were part of the Peoples Community Hospital Association? Or was it Authority? My girlfriends dad worked for them prior to going to Oakwood where he was their CEO prior to retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by lalynch View Post
    It's Zieger Osteopathic Hospital. The spelling on the postcard is wrong.
    I got curious the other night when a friend said she was born in Zieger Hospital at Michigan and Livernois in Detroit.

I found out that this Dr. Allen Zieger, who founded it, also founded Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills.

http://www.botsford.org/about/history/
    Botsford's history only lists their openings and acquisitions, not the closings. I vaguely recall Zeiger Hospital on Livernois, it was still open early 70's, but cannot seem to recall the building itself. Driving in that area, I thought it was maybe the Boy's Club building, but that can't be.

Botsford used to have a big photo and bio of Dr. Zieger in the lobby doorway. I wonder if it was removed or photoshopped? It was funny seeing his pic in the lobby, with him smoking a cigarette.

Did I read here that Saratoga is closed? My brother was born there and I left my appendix there. I was on a ship in the North Atlantic when my daughter was born in St Joseph. I seem to remember that it was on the Blvd, east side. I guess it was given up when then built the Poletown car plant. Anyone remember it?

Yes, Saratoga Hospital closed - don't remember when. The building is currently an urgent care center - whatever that is. Before that it was some sort of mental health facility- "Circle of Life" if my memory serves me.

I don't remember St. Joseph, but this list of hospitals from 1967 has St. Joseph Mercy Hospital at 2200 E. Grand Blvd.
    Last edited by Brock7; July-02-10 at 07:01 PM.

Thanks Brock 7!
    I was born in Detroit Osteopathic in Highland Park. Can anyone tell me what the address was and if the building is still there?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast