Detroit River Fishing

Progress on the M1 Light Rail in Downtown Detroit proceeds along both sides of Woodward Avenue. When completed he curbside electric rail will run from Campus Martius to Grand Boulevard.

READ MORE »


New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 94
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    58

    Default Closed Hospitals?

    Other than St. John Riverview, are there any other recently closed hospitals in the Metro Detroit area?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    539

    Default

    Riverside Hospital in Trenton.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,468

    Default

    When did that one on Carpenter in Detroit close?

  4. #4

    Default

    not real recent, but remember Deaconess on Jefferson?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    571

    Default

    There's one off of Michigan Ave. west of the MCS that closed in the last couple of years I think.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    There's one off of Michigan Ave. west of the MCS that closed in the last couple of years I think.
    I believe that is the former Southwest Detroit Hospital you are referring to. If so it has to have been closed for 15 years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I believe that is the former Southwest Detroit Hospital you are referring to. If so it has to have been closed for 15 years.
    Is that the futuristic (well, once-futuristic) stainless-steel looking thing between Mich. Ave. and the rr. tracks?

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Is that the futuristic (well, once-futuristic) stainless-steel looking thing between Mich. Ave. and the rr. tracks?
    Actually it is around 21st between the former Zeitgeist Gallery and the Expressway.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    7,468

    Default

    Yeah, I used to see that when I'd take the train to Chicago. Nothing ages more poorly than the future ...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I believe that is the former Southwest Detroit Hospital you are referring to. If so it has to have been closed for 15 years.

    That's probably the one, although it had a sign on it with a different name for quite some time, and I thought it still had lights on inside a few years ago. Now the sign is no longer visible and it is clearly empty.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingellgirl View Post
    Other than St. John Riverview, are there any other recently closed hospitals in the Metro Detroit area?
    St. John Northeast/Holy Cross (Outer Drive & Van Dyke).

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    Part of Sinai is closed now, isn't it? And the emergency sections of all the smaller hospitals...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Into the early 2000s the hospital off Michigan housed the DPD Vice Squad. I believe other parts of the building held a drug rehab facility.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Sinai on Outer Drive
    Saratoga on Gratiot
    Riverside in Trenton
    Detroit Osteopathic in Highland Park

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    When did that one on Carpenter in Detroit close?
    North Detroit General Hospital was bought out of bankruptcy about 1994 by a doctor whose name escapes me. He drowned in his car in the late 90s and the hospital sputtered to an ugly end shortly after.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,209

    Default

    Beyer Hospital in Ypsi, within the last 10 years I belive.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Wayne County General Hospital in Westland near the Eloise institution. Demo'd in 1999.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Renaissance High School is now on the former site of Sinai Hospital on W. Outer Drive.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    301

    Default

    North Oakland Medical Center in Pontiac closed in 2008 only to be purchased by a group of physicians and re-opened a couple of weeks later as Doctor's Hospital of Michigan. The closing and re-opening were done with pretty big fanfare, but I haven't seen much about whether it's been successful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    Beyer Hospital in Ypsi, within the last 10 years I belive.

    That's still a medical facility- now it's a bariatric clinic.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    North Detroit General Hospital was bought out of bankruptcy about 1994 by a doctor whose name escapes me. He drowned in his car in the late 90s and the hospital sputtered to an ugly end shortly after.
    Actually the said doctor's name is Dr. Moon and he didn't die in an auto accident, but was criminally indicted for improperly burning old hospital records on his farm in Livingston County.

    The old hospital (NDG) is now being converted into: a charter school, out patient clinic and a nursing home.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Actually the said doctor's name is Dr. Moon and he didn't die in an auto accident, but was criminally indicted for improperly burning old hospital records on his farm in Livingston County.

    The old hospital (NDG) is now being converted into: a charter school, out patient clinic and a nursing home.
    No, I'm talking about the guy before the current crook. Perhaps Dr. Moon bought the hospital from the one I'm thinking of. I lived down the street for a few decades, but it's been long enough that I'm not remembering his name. His drowning made the news, because of its freakish nature.

    He was driving in a parking lot in the Farmington Hills area and accidentally drove into a pond. It was raining so hard, the pond overflowed into the adjacent parking lot, and the doctor had no idea he left the asphalt until it was too late.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Anyone know anything about Arts Center Hospital on Woodward? I can't find any history or anything about it.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Yes, I worked at North Detroit General which changed name to Greater Detroit Hospital when the drowned Dr. bought it. He actually re-opened it since it had been closed for several years. Damn what was his name?

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Lincoln Hospital on 25th and W. Lafayette, closed in the 60's. Was owned and run by Jewish Dr.s who were not permitted to practice in some other larger hospitals. I was told.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •