Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
Kudos to Mitch Albom for not drinking the Whitmer Kool-Aid or getting on the Whitmer bandwagon, and for bringing up bullet points that no one else seems to want to talk about. Seriously, all these lawmakers had to congregate on Mackinaw Island, [[and you can bet it was on your dime and not public transportation) to sign a bill that would "possibly" shave off $150 a year on a $5k + a year insurance policy, and literally put hundreds out of work and sentence hundreds more to bankruptcy and death, and no one sees anything wrong with this? Yeah, right, boooo Mitch Albom for ruining my buzz. They don't even have have any figures for what these new insurance plans will cost. I guess if they post enough videos of Gretchen grinning and cohorts patting each other on the back, that'll make it alright. One things for damn sure, none of these legislators, or their families, will have to worry about having enough insurance. Now that's Pure Michigan.
Hold on, there are some real cost controls in this bill.
Eight years of decreasing rates - required rate control [[this is a great line to cross when dealing with insurers)
Prior approval - now insurers have to have rates approved before putting them into the market. Now they could be stopped
Choice - now you can pick 50K medical coverage and get a cheaper policy
Medical payment rates - now medical providers can't charge 5 times what they normally do to insurers. They can charge 200-250% of medicare rates
Enforcement - directly focusing on insurers not paying for claims

I hate to say it but those people out of work from this law change shouldn't of been creating an industry relying on a cash cow called car insurance in MI. There are "medical clinics" that are only built to charge $1200 for a back brace that sells for $95 at Walmart. Or $4K for an MRI that is $400 at a normal spot.
This bill has a ton of good in it buts its not perfect of course.