Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bangla Village, Southwest Detroit and Warrendale are Detroit neighborhoods
    that apparently benefited from immigration to Detroit in recent decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Gotta throw this in. When we moved from Detroit to Las Vegas in 1984, the population was roughly 800,000. Today, 35 years later, the population is 2,300,00. And most of them are ex-Californians. The financial benefits are not necessarily staggering, but certainly very high.

No state income tax; comparative very low property tax rates; good roads and good weather. Come on down!
    Unfortunately I think your overtaxed water supply makes ours in CA look flush by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Gotta throw this in. When we moved from Detroit to Las Vegas in 1984, the population was roughly 800,000. Today, 35 years later, the population is 2,300,00. And most of them are ex-Californians. The financial benefits are not necessarily staggering, but certainly very high.

No state income tax; comparative very low property tax rates; good roads and good weather. Come on down!
    It still amazes me, for that sprawling metropolis of today, that almost nothing is pre 1945.

Except Ray.

He held up better than the Stardust.
    Last edited by Bigb23; March-17-19 at 01:18 PM.

They have immigrants in Las Vegas ?

Maybe birthrates are lower because people are finally realizing how expensive, obnoxious and annoying kids are.

^ Meh,that would be a parental problem,as long as they stay off of my grass,I do not have a problem.

What are they comparing low birth rates to?

The baby boomer era,the yuppies of the past with 2.5 kids,or the next group that is getting more stable in their careers?

After they get done taking care of us boomers there will not be such a demand,outside of infrastructure that was built to accommodate and maybe it is better to downsize the population.

I am not sure income has any or little relation to having babies,plenty of low income around me that have 5 kids and poor and impoverished countries seem to have no advances in lowering the birth rate,many parents have children at what seems to be not at the best timing economically,but yet they survived.

LOL! But someone decided you were worthy......

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Maybe birthrates are lower because people are finally realizing how expensive, obnoxious and annoying kids are.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Whether that's true or not, society collapses in a generation if people stop having kids. So it's pretty much the most important thing; it's why we exist.

The elephant in the room that no one sees.
    Name:  birth [[2).jpg
Views: 380
Size:  169.0 KB

^
    Abortion rates are at historic lows, so no. Abortion probably has little to do with birthrates.

And what does % gay have to do with anything? I doubt that has varied throughout history, and I assume you're well aware that gay folks are parents too.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Unfortunately I think your overtaxed water supply makes ours in CA look flush by comparison.
    Not a problem. We're sneaking a suction line into Lake Michigan next month..........

[[Seriously, though....it is a worry. The Colorado River is nearly dry when it hits the Mexican border.)

The elephant in the room that everyone wants to pretend isn't there, like "The Emperor's New Clothes". Abortion rates in Detroit are increasing to historic highs according to the chart and the Gallup survey says more people identify with a group that can't have children. But the birth rate decline can't have anything to do with that. No No No because the world is flat so it must be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    How are they going to address sprawl regarding the roads? SE Michigan, where most of the road issues are, is also the most populated area of the state. And you can't close roads in the Northern part of the state because there aren't that many up there as it is. And the Grand Rapids area is the most up and coming area in the state.
    Start cutting down on the lanes. IE: Mound rd and Gratiot in Macomb, Michigan ave and Gratiot in Detroit and Dearbor, cancel 94 expansion, Maybe even Telegraph. Its not worth the resources. I saw some Crains piece with a Real Estate guy from an Ann Arbor based outfit bitching about MI not building out roads for larger populations. Pfff, as if his industry is the future of this state.

I needed this for table H-2 above:

Note: Rates are per 1,000 females ages 15-44

Young people today are more interested in scratching @ their cell phones than anything else. C'mon guy's, it's time to get busy. Put down the phones, it only takes a minute or two.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; March-19-19 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    The elephant in the room that everyone wants to pretend isn't there, like "The Emperor's New Clothes". Abortion rates in Detroit are increasing to historic highs according to the chart and the Gallup survey says more people identify with a group that can't have children. But the birth rate decline can't have anything to do with that. No No No because the world is flat so it must be something else.
    Again, abortion rates are at record lows, per latest numbers from CDC:
    http://time.com/5461616/abortions-lowest-rate-cdc/

And gay couples can have children, obviously. You do realize there are many ways to have children, right? And that gays aren't some "new thing", correct?
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-19-19 at 07:25 AM.

It’s not rocket science. An abortion rate almost 2.5x the national average in Wayne County [[and almost 3.5x the national average in Detroit) would contribute to a lower statewide birth rate.

And yes, gay couples have fewer children than heterosexual couples.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Young people today are more interested in scratching @ their cell phones than anything else. C'mon guy's, it's time to get busy. Put down the phones, it only takes a minute or two.
    Stick them in a world war zone for 3 years with no wimmin,1944 is a horrible guide when it comes to judging birth rates.

Of course these days even if you look at a woman,then decide to run for politics 30 years later,a high priced lawyer will be saying that you assaulted her by undressing her with your eyes.

I guess in comparison a cell phone is somewhat safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Stick them in a world war zone for 3 years with no wimmin,1944 is a horrible guide when it comes to judging birth rates.

Of course these days even if you look at a woman,then decide to run for politics 30 years later,a high priced lawyer will be saying that you assaulted her by undressing her with your eyes.

I guess in comparison a cell phone is somewhat safe.

You're probably right, it's better to practice safe text.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    It’s not rocket science. An abortion rate almost 2.5x the national average in Wayne County [[and almost 3.5x the national average in Detroit) would contribute to a lower statewide birth rate.

And yes, gay couples have fewer children than heterosexual couples.
    Except none of this has anything to do with anything. Read before commenting.

We aren't discussing Wayne County, or whether or not it has higher abortion rates than other counties, or whether gay couples have fewer kids than straight couples.

As has already been discussed, abortion rates are at record lows and gays aren't some "new thing".

Therefore ascribing recent declines in statewide birth rates to either abortion or gay couples is nonsense.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-19-19 at 09:11 AM.

I'm going to venture that the above comments are not coming from millennials.

Let me go ahead and give you one big REAL reason why the birth rate is so low. - MONEY

Millennials are saddled in student loan debt. People are less likely to start families when they have debt.

I know of plenty of people my age [[millennial) that live paycheck to paycheck, yet have a college degree, but can't get out of debt because all of our parents told us to go to college and get a four-year degree and we'll be set.

Unfortunately that's not how it works anymore.

Here's a link for more information.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...nnials-economy

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Except none of this has anything to do with anything. Read before commenting.

We aren't discussing Wayne County, or whether or not it has higher abortion rates than other counties, or whether gay couples have fewer kids than straight couples.

As has already been discussed, abortion rates are at record lows and gays aren't some "new thing".

Therefore ascribing recent declines in statewide birth rates to either abortion or gay couples is nonsense.
    I can’t tell which is worse, your complete dishonesty, sheer arrogance, or your lack of intellect. It seems like a tie.

Detroit is Michigan’s most populous city. Wayne County is Michigan’s most populous county. Anything going on there will affect statistics statewide. Global or even national statistics trending one way does not mean that the same must be true locally or even statewide.

Yes, money is also a contributing factor, along with a number of other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    I can’t tell which is worse, your complete dishonesty, sheer arrogance, or your lack of intellect. It seems like a tie.

Detroit is Michigan’s most populous city. Wayne County is Michigan’s most populous county. Anything going on there will affect statistics statewide. Global or even national statistics trending one way does not mean that the same must be true locally or even statewide.
    "I love the uneducated". Truer words were never spoken. The problem with people who know nothing is that they think they know everything. You would be Exhibit A.

If you truly believe that Michigan's overall birth rate has dropped because Wayne county has lots of abortions [[even though Wayne had far more abortions in the past) and because gay males can't give birth [[even though they also couldn't give birth in the past), there's no point to continuing the conversation, because you're impervious to reality.

Some idiot on Fox told you people aren't having babies because of those damn gays and that stupid Constitution and here you are blabbering on about it like a good parrot.

Please, for the love of God, turn off whatever you've been tuning into and educate yourself. Gays and the Constitution have nothing to do with birth rates. It's [[most likely) economics and culture. Young people have more debt and no longer feel obligated to often religious-rooted expectations.
    Last edited by Bham1982; March-19-19 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I'm going to venture that the above comments are not coming from millennials.

Let me go ahead and give you one big REAL reason why the birth rate is so low. - MONEY

Millennials are saddled in student loan debt. People are less likely to start families when they have debt.

I know of plenty of people my age [[millennial) that live paycheck to paycheck, yet have a college degree, but can't get out of debt because all of our parents told us to go to college and get a four-year degree and we'll be set.

Unfortunately that's not how it works anymore.

Here's a link for more information.

https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...nnials-economy

What would be interesting is to see what percentage of people actually time when they have kids,I had three and at no time would it have been considered economically feasible by today’s standards to actually have any.

It was tough but seems no tougher then what everybody seems to be going through anyways,if one is going to wait until they have 100,000 cash in the bank with paid off cars and houses before having kids then people are going to be waiting a long time.

So at what moment does one decide,okay now is the time,a lot can change in 9 months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast