Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I think if people understand that comparison, they wouldn't demand having free street parking 15 feet from the front door of their destination.
    I think the people who will come from the suburbs to shop downtown, vs. those already there, are generally younger and more than willing to walk a little just to get the downtown experience and avoid the mall one. Teens also have a lot of disposable income and would love to come downtown to eat and shop on a Saturday. Unfortunately, transit would be a huge boon to attracting them from the burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    do you mean traditional city planning akin to say barcelona?

we shouldn't copy texas
    I would very much like to emulate Barcelona. It's a lovely city [[although frankly the food is better in Detroit). Let's get to work on the subway:

This is why I say that Detroit need to improve it’s mass transit system so more outside shoppers would want to come downtown to shop. I think that Detroit was a smarter city back in the 50s when it had different modes of transportation to take shoppers and workers downtown and also have self sufficient neighborhoods. Many strong downtown shopping districts throughout the country are supported by shoppers from the outer parts of their cities or shoppers from out of state. There are plenty of strip malls along Jefferson where shoppers could park their cars for free and take a bus or a potential downtown shuttle to downtown Detroit to hang out. If the city wont allow a two level Kroger in downtown Detroit maybe s Holiday Market could open downtown. That will keep the Spartans boys happy and downtown apartment and condo dwellers could have a place that is walkable to do their grocery shopping

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3