Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    One other point. The decline of local media's investigative and watchdog capacity is clearly felt around this issue. 10-15 years ago, a loud media drumbeat over an issue like this would have likely developed. We've got mostly crickets in 2019.
    ???

The Ilitches have been pulling this same shit for decades. They did it with Comerica Park, they did it with the Madison Lenox demo, they did it with the building demos in the area behind the Fox, and now they have done it again with LCA.

The local media has investigated and reported on these stories all along, and there were people outraged, showing up at city council meetings, etc.

The previous news stories and local public outcry over these issues never gained much traction or political support because most of the people with money and influence didn't give a shit about the city, and the mindset that "beggars can't be choosers" was the default when discussing development in the city.

"The Terrible Ilitch's" is a new Facebook page, that keeps a daily monitor of the Ilitch's next move.

It will be interesting to see what happens when mom Marion Ilitch passes... Chris Ilitch won't be able to keep his brooding siblings in line [[all 7 own the family fortune). Maybe if the Ilitch empire gets broken apart, that would be good for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    ???

The Ilitches have been pulling this same shit for decades. They did it with Comerica Park, they did it with the Madison Lenox demo, they did it with the building demos in the area behind the Fox, and now they have done it again with LCA.

The local media has investigated and reported on these stories all along, and there were people outraged, showing up at city council meetings, etc.

The previous news stories and local public outcry over these issues never gained much traction or political support because most of the people with money and influence didn't give a shit about the city, and the mindset that "beggars can't be choosers" was the default when discussing development in the city.
    The reference in my post you quoted was to media crickets regarding Olympia Development's current District Detroit bait and switch, not to the Ilitch/Olympia 25-year inability to develop anything other than subsidized sports venues and parking lots. And interestingly enough, in the two weeks since my post the Crain's article came out and a couple of the television stations have reported on the problem. Perhaps we have a more effective local watchdog media than I first thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    "The Terrible Ilitch's" is a new Facebook page, that keeps a daily monitor of the Ilitch's next move.

It will be interesting to see what happens when mom Marion Ilitch passes... Chris Ilitch won't be able to keep his brooding siblings in line [[all 7 own the family fortune). Maybe if the Ilitch empire gets broken apart, that would be good for Detroit.
    What was the wealthy Detroit family in the 20s or 30s that publicly spat over inheritance that made the front page news on a consistent basis? I'm not usually one for drama vis-à-vis Kardashian-esqueness but I'd watch the Ilitches fall.

While I am no fan at all of what Olympia has done with the area, the Terrible Ilitch's Facebook page is the angry, hackish ramblings of someone pretending to cover what's going on in the District Detroit. Between getting basic facts wrong, posting weird memes and chiding Crain's Detroit for not covering the issue [[that didn't age well), there isn't much substance. It only hurts the cause if the most vocal detractor is comparing local reporters to prostitutes.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    While I am no fan at all of what Olympia has done with the area, the Terrible Ilitch's Facebook page is the angry, hackish ramblings of someone pretending to cover what's going on in the District Detroit. Between getting basic facts wrong, posting weird memes and chiding Crain's Detroit for not covering the issue [[that didn't age well), there isn't much substance. It only hurts the cause if the most vocal detractor is comparing local reporters to prostitutes.
    I am not the page's owner, I definitely do not have time to run a Facebook page or mod one. But from what I've gathered, the person does a good job at calling out the 30 year Ilitch lie that they've helped bring Detroit "back" and they're helping Detroit recover by referencing different Freep, News, and Crain's articles over the past few decades.

Sorry but buying up massive swarths of lands and buildings only to do nothing with them and tearing down some fairly healthy structures, is not it.

And the whole point of chiding Crain's Detroit is to be proven wrong. It's a good thing it didn't age well because that means the news is actually doing its job. What hasn't aged well is the same old Ilitch line that they're developing Detroit when it's clear they're only interested in arenas and parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The reference in my post you quoted was to media crickets regarding Olympia Development's current District Detroit bait and switch, not to the Ilitch/Olympia 25-year inability to develop anything other than subsidized sports venues and parking lots. And interestingly enough, in the two weeks since my post the Crain's article came out and a couple of the television stations have reported on the problem. Perhaps we have a more effective local watchdog media than I first thought.
    Most ,here anyways,knew it was a bait n switch from day one,but yet hundreds of millions later here we are.

If a dog chases a cat,who’s at fault,the cat for being there or the dog for chasing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Most ,here anyways,knew it was a bait n switch from day one,but yet hundreds of millions later here we are.

If a dog chases a cat,who’s at fault,the cat for being there or the dog for chasing it?
    I agree with you. I think the well informed are plenty knowledgeable about their bait and switch tactics. People that pay attention to downtown development or sports business know, but that's about it.

I work in that area and I hear visitors [[from near and far) all the time who have no idea who the Ilitches even are, despite spending plenty of time in their venues. Even beyond that, it's one thing to know they own large amounts of property, but their scummy work behind the scenes is a dirty secret that is being slowly exposed.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    I am not the page's owner, I definitely do not have time to run a Facebook page or mod one. But from what I've gathered, the person does a good job at calling out the 30 year Ilitch lie that they've helped bring Detroit "back" and they're helping Detroit recover by referencing different Freep, News, and Crain's articles over the past few decades.

Sorry but buying up massive swarths of lands and buildings only to do nothing with them and tearing down some fairly healthy structures, is not it.

And the whole point of chiding Crain's Detroit is to be proven wrong. It's a good thing it didn't age well because that means the news is actually doing its job. What hasn't aged well is the same old Ilitch line that they're developing Detroit when it's clear they're only interested in arenas and parking lots.
    I have to agree... they [[Terrible Ilitch's) are doing a pretty good job, maybe Egrant, if you could point out some ramblings, I would be glad to check them out, because I think they are spot on. If I see an error in what they've written, I give them a comment to correct it. They've been pretty accurate so far.

I am not sure who is running it, but I am happy to see Francis Grunow post comments on there as well. He's a former Preservation Wayne [[before the name change) Executive Director... who went back to university to get a law degree. He is a great guy, whom we are fortunate to have show up at council meetings and do his best to get the neighbors [[the ones still left) involved. Kudo's to both the Facebook page, and Francis Grunow!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-11-19 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Why must I be like that, why must I chase the cat?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2