Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

What is the point of this thread? Arguing about obscure facts and continuously ranting/shouting about how crappy HP is [[like people in this niche forum don’t already know). Sometimes the negativity of this place is toxic; you would think instead of being called DetroitYES! this place is called DetroitNO!

If you can’t focus on anything but all that is wrong in the region, why nothing is going to work, revitalization is going to fail because x/y/z, why are you here? It’s like reading “Old Man Yells at Clouds” over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    In 2016, 23% of Michigan residents were age 60 or older.
    Looking at the demographics of Highland Park from the 2010 census too many old folks is not the problem. Only 14% were older than 65.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_Park,_Michigan

Older folks are a good thing for communities. Baby boomers have all the money, and you don't have the burden of educating their kids.

I'm pretty sure Bloomfield Hills has the highest median age in Metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Speaking of brain dead, is that the reason that you continuously post false information? To repeatedly and [[often) intentionally do so is the ultimate in trolling.
    Here's an idea for your next inane, sad trollfest- undoutedly there's at least one rich person in HP and one poor person in BH, so the entire thread is a lie.

Really HP is rich and BH is poor. Have at it!

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    You literally said HW "doesn't have any commercial office buildings".
    Wrong. I never wrote that. Re-read the thread.

I wrote that HW doesn't have a commercial tax base, which is true. It's a residential community. That doesn't mean it doesn't derive a single penny from commercial ratables.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    HW has very high taxes, partly because it doesn't have any commercial tax base.
    This claim is also inaccurate because Huntington Woods has retail on Coolidge.

Wrong. I never wrote that. Re-read the thread.
    You're right. I'm not sure why I wrote buildings, when I kept looking at what you wrote "HW doesn't have a commercial tax base" and then denied ever saying that when confronted with the fact that HW does have a commercial tax base, despite being very little compared to its neighbors.

What's the solution :
    Take Highland Park as a primer, the revenues do not match expenses,
    declining population, and even lower tax revenues moving forward.
    About 11,000 people, so its a MICRO-Detroit , easier to handle .
    Highland Park incorporated as a village in 1889
    and then incorporated as a city in 1917

Last edited by O3H; February-19-19 at 11:15 AM.

Here's an idea for your next inane, sad trollfest- undoutedly there's at least one rich person in HP and one poor person in BH, so the entire thread is a lie.

Really HP is rich and BH is poor. Have at it!
    Is this similar to your idea of trying to deny the existence of Metro Detroit’s Jewish population?

Quote Originally Posted by Nektye View Post
    What is the point of this thread? Arguing about obscure facts and continuously ranting/shouting about how crappy HP is [[like people in this niche forum don’t already know). Sometimes the negativity of this place is toxic; you would think instead of being called DetroitYES! this place is called DetroitNO!

If you can’t focus on anything but all that is wrong in the region, why nothing is going to work, revitalization is going to fail because x/y/z, why are you here? It’s like reading “Old Man Yells at Clouds” over and over.
    Unfortunately, the OP can't form a coherent thought so we can ascertain what they are even trying to get out of this.

BUT, Highland Park does need to be discussed. It's a sad city, with an honorable history. It is the result of both capitalism and mid-20th century liberal/welfare programs, both of which need major reforms.

Highland Park is a great shame on the metro region and state. It's not so much being negative about a place, but let's be honest with what HP is today and pragmatic about how we fix such a city.

Highland Park is a great shame on the metro region and state. It's not so much being negative about a place, but let's be honest with what HP is today and pragmatic about how we fix such a city.
    Why is Highland Park a "great shame"?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why is Highland Park a "great shame"?
    The fact the entire city is abject poverty and very little is being done about it. And that it was allowed to be the foremost and first "suburban" middle class powerhouse to what it is today.

No high school. A police force run out of a strip mall. Shells of houses. A closed, beautiful library. Hamilton Ave.

Massachusetts Ave. is nice, but it ain't helping the city image much.

The fact the entire city is abject poverty and very little is being done about it. And that it was allowed to be the foremost and first "suburban" middle class powerhouse to what it is today.

No high school. A police force run out of a strip mall. Shells of houses. A closed, beautiful library. Hamilton Ave.

Massachusetts Ave. is nice, but it ain't helping the city image much.
    I guess I don't see what's so special about Highland Park in particular. Michigan has a lot of cities that look like that.

Well I hate to break this to ya' iheartthed - it is NOT acceptable.

No one should be elated about passing high school.
    There should be no parties, no tents, no relatives invited over.
    It is a mediocre achievement at best, if anyone barely scraped by and passed

The fact that 11,000 people can barely hit $15,000 as an average income
    is an utter disgrace upon Michigan, the USA and America as a whole.

Well I hate to break this to ya' iheartthed - it is NOT acceptable.

No one should be elated about passing high school.
    There should be no parties, no tents, no relatives invited over.
    It is a mediocre achievement at best, if anyone barely scraped by and passed

The fact that 11,000 people can barely hit $15,000 as an average income
    is an utter disgrace upon Michigan, the USA and America as a whole.
    Are we talking about poverty or Highland Park? These are two different things, but for some reason people in this message board tend to conflate the two.

If we're talking about poverty, every region has poverty. There are nearly 2 million people living in poverty in NYC, and their issues rarely get discussed by the media. Certainly never discussed as a judgment on NYC itself.

But poverty isn't the sole reason why Highland Park looks the way it looks. NYC proves that you can have rich and poor in the same city. In Metro Detroit, rich and poor like to be divided by municipal boundaries. People of means in Metro Detroit don't want to share services with poor people.

I'm talking HP, pointed out with maps, figures, facts etc., etc.
    The poverty seems to be congealed in those 3 square miles.
    As for the look, don't give a diddle poo or two - how it ACTS is another issue

They act like they are incapable, unable, and can NOT earn more.
    We all know people in poverty manage to become decent middle class
    - if they have the desire, drive, inner willpower to overcome circumstance

Let's take Lowell : he posted
    ""I lived in Highland Park most of my adult life.
    I could keep up my property, send my kid
    to the Catholic school and pay my taxes""

Highland Park

• Population: 10,955
    • Poverty rate: 49.0% [[top 10%)
    • 2017 violent crimes per 100,000 people: 1,701 [[top 10%)
    • Median home value: $33,500 [[bottom 10%)

Highland Park, Michigan, ranks as the fifth worst city to live
    in the country in part because it is the poorest American city
    by a wide margin.
    Last edited by O3H; February-19-19 at 08:06 PM.

I'm talking HP, pointed out with maps, figures, facts etc., etc.
    The poverty seems to be congealed in those 3 square miles.
    As for the look, don't give a diddle poo or two - how it ACTS is another issue

They act like they are incapable, unable, and can NOT earn more.
    We all know people in poverty manage to become decent middle class
    - if they have the desire, drive, inner willpower to overcome circumstance

Let's take Lowell : he posted
    ""I lived in Highland Park most of my adult life.
    I could keep up my property, send my kid
    to the Catholic school and pay my taxes""

Highland Park

• Population: 10,955
    • Poverty rate: 49.0% [[top 10%)
    • 2017 violent crimes per 100,000 people: 1,701 [[top 10%)
    • Median home value: $33,500 [[bottom 10%)

Highland Park, Michigan, ranks as the fifth worst city to live
    in the country in part because it is the poorest American city
    by a wide margin.
    In case I wasn't clear, this discussion is nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    People of means in Metro Detroit don't want to share services with poor people.
    Politely understated iheartthed. I think it’s a tad worse than just sharing services.

I'm pretty sure Bloomfield Hills has the highest median age in Metro Detroit.
    Once again, this claim is not accurate.

Lake Angelus, Bingham Farms, Grosse Pointe Shores, and Orchard Lake all have a higher median age. [[I may have missed one or two others)

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    Once again, this claim is not accurate.
    You're a funny guy, Towne Cluber. I don't know what's funnier, your bizarre attempts at trying to one-up all my comments, your utter lack of reading comprehension, or glaring lack of context.

Read the thread, and stop posting nonsense that has nothing to do with anything. Whether or not Lake Angelus and it's 290 residents have a higher median age is beyond-irrelevent. The point is that HP is young and BH old; obviously older communities are not disadvantaged.

And you're wrong [[again), not that it matters.
    http://zipatlas.com/us/mi/city-compa...median-age.htm
    Last edited by Bham1982; February-20-19 at 11:14 AM.

You're a funny guy, Towne Cluber. I don't know what's funnier, your bizarre attempts at trying to one-up all my comments, your utter lack of reading comprehension, or glaring lack of context.

Read the thread, and stop posting nonsense that has nothing to do with anything. Whether or not Lake Angelus and it's 290 residents have a higher median age is beyond-irrelevent. The point is that HP is young and BH old; obviously older communities are not disadvantaged.

And you're wrong [[again), not that it matters.
    http://zipatlas.com/us/mi/city-compa...median-age.htm
    You not only need to re-read, but you need to learn how to do basic research and stop saying things off the top of your head. Average and median are two completely different things. You originally said median, yet you posted something with average. Keep up your dishonesty!

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    Politely understated iheartthed. I think it’s a tad worse than just sharing services.
    Probably understated, but... Pretty close to the heart of the problem. There is no check and balance on sprawl in Michigan. You can move across an imaginary line and not be responsible for the empty shell you leave behind. This incentivizes people to keep moving across imaginary lines.

Highland Park isn't an anomaly in Michigan. The better question is why does Michigan have so many Highland Parks?

I dis-agree . It is a very, very unique situation.
    HighlandPark exists WITHIN the Detroit boundaries.
    https://www.highlandparkmi.gov/Gover...the-Mayor.aspx

The facts , figures, and statistics are easily seen.
    https://datausa.io/profile/geo/highland-park-mi/

Highland Park, MI is composed of 92% black residents
    The median age of all people in Highland Park, MI was 41
    The homeownership rate of Highland Park, MI is only 36 %

What SPRAWL ?? - it has been it's own unique entity for over 100 years
    Highland Park incorporated as a village in 1889
    and then incorporated as a city in 1917

Last edited by O3H; February-20-19 at 01:06 PM.

Lake Angelus and it's 290 residents
    Lake Angelus has 308 residents.

So what Town Club ? no one cares about those 308 near Waterford

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast