Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

So it's okay in metro Detroit to just let slackers, high school dropouts,
    and basically lazy, shiftless people ""accumulate"" in a ghetto
    and NO ONE is allowed to judge, comment, write, post about them ?
    We should turn a blind eye and forget about them ?
    It would be so easy to make fun of an entitled, out of state white man, so I won't.

So it's okay in metro Detroit to just let slackers, high school dropouts,
    and basically lazy, shiftless people ""accumulate"" in a ghetto
    and NO ONE is allowed to judge, comment, write, post about them ?
    Only shiftless, out of state, trolls can judge us apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I'm not sure if annexation of Highland Park into Detroit has been considered or not, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea with the current situation that Highland Park is in.
    I asked that question several times 30 years or more ago and the answer always was that it wasn't possible due to the overlap with Hamtramack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig3rzhark View Post
    I'm not sure if annexation of Highland Park into Detroit has been considered or not, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea with the current situation that Highland Park is in.
    In the past I've floated the idea of breaking up Detroit into smaller units of government that are about 50,000 - 100,000 in size. Annexing Highland Park would do the opposite, but I do think it would be a good thing for Highland Park based off of my limited knowledge.

People really have a reading comprehension difficulty on this website.
    For all those attempted to climb up my anus would know
    I inherited a house very near Detroit and live there currently.
    Go ahead make up more absolute nonsense to reflect upon yourselves.
    As for the shiftless part, I had a bowel movement this morning as well.

Some can't think very well - so they follow - a mob of sheep going BAAAA

Back to the topic at hand - HighLand Park and its Micro Economy
    Last edited by O3H; February-11-19 at 03:10 PM.

As for the shiftless part, I had a bowl movement this morning as well.
    I rest my case you're honor.

I'd welcome that!

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Back to the topic at hand - HighLand Park and its Micro Economy

A lot of confusion in here could have been avoided if the Op had correctly titled the thread.

Had the OP titled it "Few in Highland Park are gainfully employed",...

it would have made more sense than "No one getting paid in Highland Park",.. which makes it sound like HP went under, and city employees aren't getting paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    A lot of confusion in here could have been avoided if the Op had correctly titled the thread.

Had the OP titled it "Few in Highland Park are gainfully employed",...

it would have made more sense than "No one getting paid in Highland Park",.. which makes it sound like HP went under, and city employees aren't getting paychecks.
    Actually, the original title was "No one getting payed in Highland Park."

^^^^Uh, yeah. Let's get back to that!

Why was Chrysler allowed to leave and move to sprawl crap like auburn hills?? It's pointless choices like that that hurt the community for no legitimate reason, Highland Park's problems were all avoidable. They should have never been allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Actually, the original title was "No one getting payed in Highland Park."

When I saw Post 2, I thought maybe there had been an 'L' involved.

It was titled just fine -- the interpretation was left up to the reader.
    When I read the information of 11,000 people averaging only $15,000/year
    it caught my attention.
    Last edited by O3H; February-11-19 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    When I saw Post 2, I thought maybe there had been an 'L' involved.

You're KIDDING! This is serious!

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    Why was Chrysler allowed to leave??

You're not serious.

dead serious

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You're not serious.
    I guess some people don't understand how the free market works.

I've always been amazed at the number of municipalities in metro Detroit. In Ontario, including Toronto, we had a lot less per capita than Michigan years ago and then the province implemented regional governments that amalgamated many towns. Even if there was a decent tax base how do places like Highland Park possibly provide police, fire, water, sewage, garbage and every other city service more efficiently than if they were part of neighboring municipalities?

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Even if there was a decent tax base how do places like Highland Park possibly provide police, fire, water, sewage, garbage and every other city service more efficiently than if they were part of neighboring municipalities?
    Easy answer. They can not and do not provide those services very well. Hence why Highland Park constantly makes the ‘worst places to live in the United States’ lists.

A harder question to answer would be why the citizens of Michigan don’t care and think it doesn’t reflect on them without consequences.

HP is only 2.97 miles square. Getting it off these list would be in Metro Detroit’s best interest. Making these lists is bad for business in the entire metro region.

I guess some people don't understand how the free market works.
    What is this supposed to mean? You realize we don't live in a laissez faire country right? The free market is often destructive, which is why we have rules and regulations on basically everything which includes urban planning. Unless you think we should live in a world run by monopolies.

Anyway they got a deal from the state with the land that should have never happened/been allowed, as we can obviously see it's been destructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsgreatest View Post
    What is this supposed to mean?.
    Exactly what I said. I didn't stutter.

I've always been amazed at the number of municipalities in metro Detroit. In Ontario, including Toronto, we had a lot less per capita than Michigan years ago and then the province implemented regional governments that amalgamated many towns
    I mean, this is true of most American metropolitan areas. If you think Metro Detroit has a lot of tiny little municipalities, look at Chicagoland. The blunt truth of that matter is that local government is a third rail of politics in this country unlike in your's largely because of the deep racial divides and politics of the U.S. A state could never get away like Ontario did with just merging municipalities; hell, even creating a regional government as been basically off limits. A state government who'd pass such a thing would be in the courts for years and would be ousted before it could even be implemented.

Anyway, I can actually see HP voluntarily merging with Detroit to a degree which I could never see it before simply because of the Detroit's reviving finances. The school district was already disbanded and the students allocated to DPS. So, unlike decades past, they've already [[involuntarily) made the first step. At the same time, Detroit's revival as it spreads up Woodward might revive HP's tax base, in which case HP might not have the pressure to ask to be taken over. It's a very small window the two have for this to make mutual sense.

I've always been amazed at the number of municipalities in metro Detroit. In Ontario, including Toronto, we had a lot less per capita than Michigan years ago and then the province implemented regional governments that amalgamated many towns. Even if there was a decent tax base how do places like Highland Park possibly provide police, fire, water, sewage, garbage and every other city service more efficiently than if they were part of neighboring municipalities?
    Huntington Woods, with its ~6,000 residents within about 1.5 sq. miles, is a good example of how you can make it work....and taxes are not that terrible. HW is ofcourse the exact opposite to HP in regard to income, education, demographics etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    I mean, this is true of most American metropolitan areas. If you think Metro Detroit has a lot of tiny little municipalities, look at Chicagoland. The blunt truth of that matter is that local government is a third rail of politics in this country unlike in your's largely because of the deep racial divides and politics of the U.S. A state could never get away like Ontario did with just merging municipalities; hell, even creating a regional government as been basically off limits. A state government who'd pass such a thing would be in the courts for years and would be ousted before it could even be implemented.
    It's true Canadians have always been more trusting of gov't [[some might argue passive or lazy). The whole idea of local ballot initiatives for something as minor as a library for instance is totally foreign to us. I generally do believe, like most Canadians, that our elected officials should have more expertise based on expert opinion, research, etc. and therefore should be allowed to govern by making those decisions. The biggest problem, especially on the local level, is the decline of local media to be a watchdog until the next election.

Exactly what I said. I didn't stutter.
    I mean we're typing here so stuttering isn't really possible.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast