Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

^^^ Hah! I am so with you re. the space and lack of core amenities in the Cadillac. Loved the engine but so poorly made and yes, for most models short people in the back ONLY. I've own a couple of Camry's all far more roomy and loaded with less price!

Yikes. That is scary! I am not much of a Nissan fan. I still think of that as a crankola Datsun -- yeck. For the most part I stick with Toyotas [[had a wide range including Tercels, Corollas, Camry) when I've gone used foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    I find this to be the most revolting design on the roads today

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ Hah! I am so with you re. the space and lack of core amenities in the Cadillac. Loved the engine but so poorly made and yes, for most models short people in the back ONLY. I've own a couple of Camry's all far more roomy and loaded with less price!
    There's not enough head room in a Cadillac sedan even in the front seat!

Then people wonder why they don't sell.

Buying foreign is part of the problem.

Don't worry, Trump's going to improve the situation!

Name:  DJTGM.png
Views: 588
Size:  33.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Don't worry, Trump's going to improve the situation!Name:  DJTGM.png
Views: 588
Size:  33.6 KB

Ah yes, Trump. Making America great again.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=3705441&page=1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN1NW27M

Dump says he's going to cut GM's subsidies, we'll see how this plays out. I bet GM will still win. Corporations run this country. All his false promises of bringing back jobs. "Don't make promises, you can't keep"
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-27-18 at 05:14 PM.

This will mitigate a small portion of the losses at least.

Supplier plans $9.27 million investment, 300 new jobs in Detroit expansion

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/manufa...roit-expansion

G.M leveled an entire neighborhood for the Hamtramck/Detroit plant, such a waste. G.M just wants to leave Detroit for good. I Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually move their headquarters to Texas as Comerica did.

Yes, I get that argument, but many of my cars have been used -- well used. So my basic formula was/ is to buy the strongest, most durable cars available.

Buying new I'd take into consideration many factors including legacy costs, which would be a motivator for me towards US made cars. Used, second or third owner. No.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post

GM [[like other automakers) seeks to maximize marketing, production, and sales of higher-profit utility vehicles, which influences and feeds on reduced demand for cars:

Name:  M-US-vehicle-sales-chart.png
Views: 437
Size:  13.6 KB

Name:  blog_domestic_car_truck_sales.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  19.0 KB

Name:  GM-car-sales-chart-February-2015.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  56.3 KB
    Name:  48KIKPMP.gif
Views: 509
Size:  16.3 KBName:  siam-kHXH--621x414@LiveMint.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  55.2 KB
    Last edited by beachboy; November-27-18 at 10:38 PM.

It's not that simple ... consider assembly - according to this chart, Honda has [[on average) more assembly in the USA as percent of sales than GM:

Name:  USautos-MixOfForeignDomesticAssemblySourcing.png
Views: 503
Size:  160.0 KB
    Source: https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...stall-everyone
    Last edited by beachboy; November-27-18 at 10:50 PM.

Yes, I get that argument, but many of my cars have been used -- well used. So my basic formula was/ is to buy the strongest, most durable cars available.

Buying new I'd take into consideration many factors including legacy costs, which would be a motivator for me towards US made cars. Used, second or third owner. No.

I agree. I've always bought new cars, but my last one purchased was in 09. I still have it, and will won't buy new again. After seeing the depreciation of a car or truck that stickered for $50,000 brand new, and to see what it's worth now, even in excellent condition with average mileage for the year, convinced me.

Default Buy American?

If you want to “buy American,” an American car isn’t what it used to be:

• A Lincoln MKZ is 26 percent U.S./Canada content but it’s built in Mexico.
    • The most popular passenger car in America is the Toyota Camry, which is assembled Georgetown, KY and Lafayette, IN and is 75 percent U.S./Canadian content.
    • A Honda Accord is 85 percent U.S./Canadian content and the Accord is assembled in Marysville, OH.

The truck market is equally muddled. Chevrolet Cab Forward/Tiltmaster medium duty trucks are built by Isuzu. Some of them were assembled in Janesville, WI but the Janesville plant is closed.

IMHO, where the profits end up is more relevant than where a car is assembled or where the parts are produced. Others might say if it's assembled here and Americans are doing the assembly work, that's an American vehicle.

The Federal Government passed the American Automobile Label Act [[AALA) to provide consumers with a guide regarding what is an “American” car and what is an import car. Link to AALA reports.
    Last edited by Pat001; November-28-18 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    It's not that simple ... consider assembly - according to this chart, Honda has [[on average) more assembly in the USA as percent of sales than GM:

Name:  USautos-MixOfForeignDomesticAssemblySourcing.png
Views: 503
Size:  160.0 KB
    Source: https://worldview.stratfor.com/artic...stall-everyone

I understand but I was mainly responding to post about their foreign purchase. It gets old hearing how "superior" foreign cars are over American. My husband's "work" car was an '88 Buick Park Ave. Sold it two years ago within 2 days, just over 300,000. miles. The car drove smooth and never really had any major problems in the 15 years we owned it.
    Last edited by Maof; November-28-18 at 03:08 PM.

Hah! Interesting point. Difference is that Jennifer Granholm was gov for eight years and by say year five she owned her choices and policies; not all inherited from previous admin.
    Just what role do people think the governor of one American state plays in the financial success or failure of an international company?

I understand but I was mainly responding to post about their foreign purchase. It gets old hearing how "superior" foreign cars are over American. My husband's "work" car was an '88 Buick Park Ave. Sold it two years ago within 2 days, with just over 300,000. miles. The car drove smooth and never really had any major problems for the 15 years we owned it.
    I totally get the "buy American" argument. I support the principle. I especially support buying made in Detroit.

My previous cars were American. But Detroit carmakers seem to have all but given up targeting me as their customer. What I want is pretty simple: a reliable, fuel-efficient car, to transport people and occasional cargo around town. It doesn't need any bells or whistles. It doesn't need to be able to drive off road. But the passenger and cargo spaces should be thoughtfully designed to provide ample comfort and flexibility. It could be a cross-over as long as it is relatively fuel efficient. But shockingly, the cross-overs I have experience with fail to utilize their space better than some sedans. I see no reason to buy a bigger car that uses more gas and is harder to navigate tight spaces when for practical purposes it provides less room.

And now, with GM's recent announcement, it looks like calling them "American carmakers" is a misnomer. Have they abandoned this market? Why buy a car made by a company that is moving in a different direction? Seems like that would be a maintenance issue down the road.

My previous question was sincere. If a Corolla is a good fit for my needs, what would you recommend I buy instead from Ford, GM, or FCA [[if that still counts)? The only one I can think of is the Cruze, and it looks like that will be discontinued. All the others possibilities are foreign. If your choice where between a Corolla and a Cruze which would you choose?

If there isn't a good alternative you can't blame anyone for not buying what doesn't exist.

Besides, like others have said what counts as buying American isn't so simple. How much of a Buick sedan is made in the US these days?

Detroit vehiclemakers: Don't abandon me please!

PS. Even if I haven't personally owned a 4-wheeled vehicle in a long time, I often hire or rent them. They are almost never an SUV.
    Last edited by bust; November-28-18 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN1NW27M

Dump says he's going to cut GM's subsidies, we'll see how this plays out. I bet GM will still win. Corporations run this country. All his false promises of bringing back jobs. "Don't make promises, you can't keep"
    Per usual, Trump is lying and full of shit. For starters, GM does not get any federal subsidies. There's a $7500 plug-in tax credit that all automakers receive for each electric vehicle sold up to 200,000 units, but that credit goes to the consumer, not the company. Plus it gets phased out once GM sells over 200,000 electric cars, which it is projected to do by the end of the year.

If Trump is referring to the big fat GOP corporate tax cut that GM got, no strings attached, then he is also full of shit. Trump cannot unilaterally single out one corporation and take away their tax cut. Congress would have to do that.

When Reichsfuhrer Trump heard that GM is laying off 15,000 of its employees. He answered, " I will take away your subsidies until you all find a way to save American Jobs."

To the Trump supporters, He is the hero to the rest of America. He is still a fool. So if any corporations, news media and even immigrants and minorities pick on him. Trump will bash back with fire and fury!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    When Reichsfuhrer Trump heard that GM is laying off 15,000 of its employees. He answered, " I will take away your subsidies until you all find a way to save American Jobs."

To the Trump supporters, He is the hero to the rest of America. He is still a fool. So if any corporations, news media and even immigrants and minorities pick on him. Trump will bash back with fire and fury!!!
    So Trump is out of line when he objects to GM closing U.S. plants and firing 15,000 workers -- even after getting billions in loan guarantees, property tax abatements and a huge corporate tax cut?

GM earned a profit of $9.4 billion last year. Be pissed at GM, not Trump. It isn't Trump's fault GM can't make cars people want to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well Michigan, I hope you enjoyed the "good" times while they lasted...
    Yay, I had a whole year and 10 months worth of work... in a row. My third longest run in my 24 year career.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...cid=spartandhp

Here's another tweet from you know who. GM made him look foolish, bragging on all the jobs he was to bring back. I don't agree with them shuttering plants either, but Barra said his tariffs are a big part of it, combined with slow sales of those expensive car models.

Yeah because Michigan's entire economy ran on a plant in Hamtramck.

Job growth is expected to continue through 2020 and only 1 out of 23 jobs in the state are auto manufacturing related, so I guess we'll keep enjoying good times.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast