Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Home "niceness" is subjective, but I think most would agree there are plenty of dumpy homes on the south end of Bham. They're mostly vacant, investor owned sites, many of which will be redeveloped into million dollar properties.

And there are lots of streets that aren't "dumpy" but basically have the same housing as Hazel Park, South Warren or the East Side of Detroit. Certainly not conventionally "nice".

You honestly think these homes are desirable for families?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5367...7i13312!8i6656

In 15 years these homes will probably all be gone, but for now, this is an extremely modest street, with nothing going for it outside of location.
    Those homes would make great STARTER homes for young married couple who either don't have children yet, or who only have 1 or 2 young children.

In addition, these houses are not dumpy, they are just vinyl-sided. The flowers on the front of the house show the people take pride in their residences. You just want to make outrageous statements to get people all riled up.

I don't think I've ever lived in a house bigger than 1,000 square feet on the ground floor. That's about the size of mine now out here on 5 acres.

We had a family of five in one on the west side there.

I sure as hell wouldn't want to endure the utility bills to heat and cool one much bigger.

My biggest complaint there always was [[and still is) lot sizes. A 30 foot wide house on a 50 foot wide lot sucked. You could literally here your neighbor flush the bowl. Squeezing a car up the driveway and into the garage was almost an art.
    Last edited by Meddle; December-28-18 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    This block would not be very desirable for familes with options, and I think you you know this. These are tiny, modest homes, with OK schools and services.

The postwar bungalows are perfectly decent, but I think everyone knows they're not the top choice these days. The typical buyer probably wanted a bungalow in RO, but went with similar but more affordable Clawson.
    My parents, who were solid middle class, raised a family of 5 kids in a "tiny, modest home" as did millions of other Detroiters over the years and now my daughter is raising her family in a nice modest home in Clawson. She and her husband are both automotive engineers for the two of the "Big Three" and have plenty of options. They actively CHOSE to purchase a house in Clawson because of the schools, the small town feel and the fact that they can live here and have the things they want without having to pay the taxes, and the cost of living in a place like Birmingham or West Bloomfield. The schools are great and the people that live here don't have their noses in the air and aren't constantly worried about keeping up with the neighbors. Royal Oak isn't all that either. Higher crime, more expensive, heavy traffic.
    Some people don't need a big house in a fancy suburb to be happy and feel safe.
    They didn't feel it was incumbent to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to live a mile up the road.
    Last edited by jcole; December-28-18 at 08:32 AM.

^^ And if they manage their money right, they may be far better off in the future than those who chose bigger houses with much bigger payments.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    ^^ And if they manage their money right, they may be far better off in the future than those who chose bigger houses with much bigger payments.
    And that is another reason they live where they do; it ensures a secure future for their now teen age sons and allows them to have a small piece of property up north for current summer vacations.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3