Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

They are giving global managers a year's salary. Is GM targeting the top heavy executive ranks? Or are the cuts across board?

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    Another round of BailOuts soon to come on the taxpayer dime
    That was sold as a loan in order to gear up with the whole battery and self driving cars thing.Kinda like Silicon Valley and the space program.

The current president rolled back some restrictions and deadlines on fuel efficiency but a change there would put them in a corner unless they prepared now.

If you think about it,a strike of an EPA pen and Ford is done,if thier biggest market is trucks and a repeat of not so long ago when you could not give a truck away,thier US market is trucks.

If you look at the big world picture,we are about the only ones left that drives big gas guzzler cars and trucks,elsewhere our crossovers are considered big,everybody else drives little bitty Fiats and such,pick up trucks are commercial and private ones are small.

England is phasing out diesel and Paris has been hosting a city without cars for a day,and is working on an outright ban on cars in the city.

I think the picture of the scooter Lowell posted is going to be the dense urban future or similar,easy enough to force through regulation.

We may laugh now at carry a little fiat in your trunk as a back up but maybe that is the way we are going sooner then later.

The technology is moving fast,if they bring it down to micro we all will be driving and riding things we can fold up into a suitcase.

Maybe that is thier reasoning,if they can get ahead of the curve they will be stronger.
    Last edited by Richard; November-05-18 at 09:29 PM.

The profit has always been on the truck side of the Auto Industry.
    Way more money to be made with an Cadillac Escalade than a Chevy Prism.

I drive a Pontiac Vibe that fits 2 kayaks on the roof, 2 bikes on the back,
    and also has a trailer hitch package to pull stuff, when needed.
    The rest of the time, it's a great utilitarian 4 door hatch back.
    A Vibe was a Toyota with some Pontiac sheetmetal,

https://jalopnik.com/were-all-undere...ibe-1826143995
    Last edited by O3H; November-07-18 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    The industry is experiencing a downturn, as sales have dropped for the Big 3. Probably related to Trump's tariffs. Knew it would happen eventually, "What goes up, must come down"
    It was "Trump's" economy that continued to drive auto sales further delaying the inevitable downturn. They knew this was coming.

Let me guess: In your world everything is Trumps fault? How original!

I blame him for a lot of what's wrong in this country. I don't like him, PERIOD. He's a divider, not a unifier.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-09-18 at 10:24 AM.

I blame him for a lot of what's wrong in this country. I don't like him, PERIOD. He's a divider, not a unifier.
    I don’t know about that. The left have shown themselves to be the party of division, obstruction, violence, intolerance and corruption. If any Democrat was probed half as much as Trump, they’ed be in jail

The president has little impact on the cyclical nature of our economy, no matter what party he is a part of. Trump supporters are doing victory laps over the current economy, but as soon as it starts to decline, they'll mysteriously stop mentioning Trump's impact and start to blame the Obama administration. Good times = my guy is responsible. Bad times = the other guy is to blame. Like clockwork.

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    If any Democrat was probed half as much as Trump, they’ed be in jail
    Undoubtedly true, but I doubt you understand why this is exactly the point. Any other politician, of either party, would be in federal prison at this point, given the avalanche of crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Undoubtedly true, but I doubt you understand why this is exactly the point. Any other politician, of either party, would be in federal prison at this point, given the avalanche of crimes.

I doubt you understand we live in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty.

GM was guilty. Oh, but that was the "old" GM. We are the """"new""" GM.

Yeah, right. Negligence killed folks, but thats okay in the USA.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/...MLaunches.html

My memory works just fine, as does the internet archives
    Chinese-made Buicks at local GM dealerships, yes sir UAW workers.
    Guanxi is the word in the neighborhood today.
    Would you, could you, be my neighbor [[tune)
    GM + China + Guanxi

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...on-from-tariff
    Last edited by O3H; November-10-18 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I doubt you understand we live in a country where you're innocent until proven guilty.
    Not trying to get off the topic here, but tell that to the people who were wrongly accused of a murder, spent half of their adult life in jail, only to find out over 30 years later, they were innocent in the first place. Ask them how they feel about innocent until proven guilty.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-11-18 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Says the side leading the LOCK HER UP chants.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Says the side leading the LOCK HER UP chants.

Have your ears checked, a-J, I never led any chants.

Not trying to get off the topic here, but tell that to the people who were wrongly accused of a murder, spent half of their adult life in jail, only to find out over 30 years later, they were innocent in the first place. Ask them how they feel about innocent until proven guilty.

That's a very tragic situation. It was probably initiated by someone advocating their guilt.

Default GM housecleaning

General Motors planning on letting 3000
    employees go with 12+ years of experience
    Last edited by O3H; November-22-18 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O3H View Post
    General Motors planning on letting 3000
    employees go with 12+ years of experience
    GM hasn't specified the tenure or the number of employees affected by the layoffs. The media is merely speculating that the number will be *at least* 3,000.

And don't worry, there will no doubt be plenty more [[and probably plant closures, looking at Lordstown) when the UAW contract expires in September.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-22-18 at 11:14 AM.

You get your news from the internet -- I get mine from real people.

I'll believe the ones in the flesh . [[there is no link, no url )

Closing all operations in Oshawa, Ontario! Formal announcement tomorrow. GM's roots in the city go back to the very beginning of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Closing all operations in Oshawa, Ontario! Formal announcement tomorrow. GM's roots in the city go back to the very beginning of the company.
    HA! The Incredible Shrinking GM strike again! Gotta love it! To call themselves a mutlinational corporation at this point would be a joke.

Once they leave Korea and South America [[which I'm sure will be soon), they'll just be a niche regional automaker in US and China. All of their scale is going out the window in the name of short term profits.

And naturally, as their scale goes away, so does the need for all of the adminstrative workers based out of the Detroit area [[thus the salaried layoffs in North America).

Within the next decade, I predict GM will either be split into two or more companies [[ala Hewlett-Packard) or will face a hostile takover from a company like Toyota, Volkswagen, or even a tech company like Apple or Google. Neither outcome will be good for Michigan and its economy. No company in history has ever cut and shrunken its way to growth and GM won't be any different.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-25-18 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    HA! The Incredible Shrinking GM strike again! Gotta love it! To call themselves a mutlinational corporation at this point would be a joke.

Once they leave Korea and South America [[which I'm sure will be soon), they'll just be a niche regional automaker in US and China. All of their scale is going out the window in the name of short term profits.

And naturally, as their scale goes away, so does the need for all of the adminstrative workers based out of the Detroit area [[thus the salaried layoffs in North America).

Within the next decade, I predict GM will either be split into two or more companies [[ala Hewlett-Packard) or will face a hostile takover from a company like Toyota, Volkswagen, or even a tech company like Apple or Google. Neither outcome will be good for Michigan and its economy. No company in history has ever cut and shrunken its way to growth and GM won't be any different.
    So are you saying there is no hope for GM?

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    So are you saying there is no hope for GM?
    I wouldn't exactly put it that way.

But I do think it's clear that GM is going to be a much smaller player in the global economy going forward and it won't exist in the way it does today.

I also do think leaders in Michigan need to start adjusting for a future without a huge GM footprint immediately.
    Last edited by 313WX; November-25-18 at 08:49 PM.

To give you an idea of the scope in Oshawa, this will be the last 2800 of 40000 GM employed at its peak.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    To give you an idea of the scope in Oshawa, this will be the last 2800 of 40000 GM employed at its peak.

Well...they just announced it's closing, unless the union tries to save it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartandhp

Well...they just announced it's closing, unless the union tries to save it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartandhp
    The facility has over 10 million square feet [[930,000 m˛) of factory floor. It was converted to a state of the art Flexible Manufacturing facility in 2008, which involved the consolidation of two car plants under the same roof and the addition of a $1.3B paint shop which can accommodate 27 different body styles, including cars, pick up trucks and vans. Approximately 3,600 hourly and 400 salaried employees currently work at the plant, with many more engineers working at GM's Regional Engineering Center across the road .[citation needed] The hourly-rated workers are represented by their union, Unifor Local 222. In August 2017, it was rated highly by its employees in The Best Places to Work in Canada rankings by Indeed, garnering 4th spot overall, and 1st for wages and benefits.
    source

GM kills another town

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    GM kills another town

Source:
    Another town puts all it's eggs in one basket, doesn't diversify, then dies, when the shit hits the fan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast