Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Without digging out my notes from class, I believe that if the city goes into bankruptcy, the DIA would not be affected too bad. I remember something about that the city now has oversight on the place, but essentially the DIA runs as a separate entity from the city. I can't remember if it is the DIA, or the DHM that has the city board positions unfilled for sometime now [[at least they were back two years ago).

I also think that the city cannot make the DIA deaccession and sell items from its collection in order to cover city debets. Thanks goodness because, considering the moronic actions of the Detroit government, I'm sure that many items would have been liquidated over the years to pay for MonCon's transportation and lunches. I think that was changed fairly recently. Everyone has to remember that when Engler changed funding for the Arts in Michigan, repositories like the DIA became more stand-alone than before.

I've seen some posters on this site that are affiliated with eh DIA, or at least know a heck of a lot of what's going on in there, so hopefully they will chime in [[or I can get board and dig through my material) and provide more accurate information

PS -- Never go to Wikipedia for any factual information. It's a junk site that is not even a creditable research tool for high school work and is largely considered drek.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; August-29-09 at 04:09 PM.