Does this mean that DDOT fares are being increased from $1.50 to $2.00? Or will the old single trip rides still be $1.50? Will this someday be the standard fare, and if you pay cash you'd get a 4 hour transfer ticket automatically?

If they do this correctly they'll have a lot more data about people's trips, which will help them plan their routes.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
Day Passes! ONE REGIONAL CARD! My mouth is salivating like Homer Simpson.

I can't wait for 2050 when we get loadable fare cards that are contactless!
I agree but I think they've been trying to do this for at least a few years now and I think this is what they think they can actually do. In 2015 the People Mover did a study and found a full regional tap and go open payment fare system would cost $16-22 million.

It's hard to tell exactly what they're doing. This could be the full system everyone wants, but limited to smartphones because the hardware to support smart cards and credit cards would cost too much money. Or they could be trying to throw together their own custom system which would have more limited potential. Either way I feel like this is a huge improvement.

My fantasy though is to have universal tap and go/open payment that also includes the People Mover, Q-Line, AAATA, but ALSO municipal parking. So if you weren't a transit rider, but liked to visit Ferndale, you'd still have the transit card, which would lower the barrier to entry for using transit.